cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxes on bill

NLT100
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi team,

I changed my address (after quite a few tries) from BC to AB as I have moved provinces.

My taxes on my bill are still calculated based off BC. How can I make sure I am charged the appropriate sales tax?

4 REPLIES 4

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@NLT100 wrote:

Hi team,

I changed my address (after quite a few tries) from BC to AB as I have moved provinces.

My taxes on my bill are still calculated based off BC. How can I make sure I am charged the appropriate sales tax?

As others have mentioned already, Public Mobile simply uses the location of your phone number to determine which province/territory taxes to apply for automatic payments and manual online top-ups.

If you change your phone number to an Alberta based one, you would then only pay only GST for these same automatic or manual online top-ups.

If you want to keep your BC number, you can avoid the PST by buying Public Mobile payment vouchers in Alberta. You can purchase them from various gas stations, drug stores, or grocery stores. For example, I've found them at Shell, Husky, Shoppers Drug Mart, and London Drugs to name a few... Public Mobile has an official article showing example retailers here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/payment-voucher

When you buy a voucher, the attendant will basically print out a receipt with a 12 digit code, which you can apply to your account either by dialing 611, or entering online once signed into your self-serve portal. You will pay for the amount + tax in store, and the pre-tax amount is what will be applied to your Public Mobile account balance.

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@NLT100 - I would highly recommend to get an Alberta Number. Calgary and Edmonton both offer 368 fresh new phone numbers while other places offer 403, 587, 825 and 780 numbers.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Change to an Alberta phone number and then you'll save the sales tax. Or buy vouchers from a 7-11 in Alberta instead of using auto pay.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@NLT100 , taxes are based on the phone number area code, not address. 

Need Help? Let's chat.