cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking Public Mobile phone to United Kingdom and Cyprus

Yash_Grg
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi:

I am a Public mobile customer. Can I take my current phone to the United Kingdom and Cyprus?

We are off to the vacation in August 2024.

Thank you

Yashoda

4 REPLIES 4

Terryscell
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Public Mobile only offers roaming in Canada and the US.

For travel in the UK and Europe, I found Giffgaff (a UK company) very good. They actually mailed a free SIM card to me in Canada!

Probably they now have eSIM’s.

So, my account was set up before arrival there; no searching strange places to find a phone retailer. And for 5 Pounds, (about $8) we got 5G, a couple of GBs, unlimited calls and text, and EU roaming.

My wife used Lebara; similar product, but only mails SIM to UK address. 

For free calls back to Canada from overseas, we use Fongo.

BTW, strongly suggest a VPN for security when using hotel / airport WiFi.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Yash_Grg 

Yes you can take any phone to the UK and Cyprus but it will not work unless you purchase a local SIM there and install WhatsApp or TextNow app into your phone or connected to wifi for free calling and texting if you don’t want to get a local SIM.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Yash_Grg 

Public Mobile only works in Canada and the United States (with the purchase of roaming add on). You can not use your Public Mobile in any other country. If you wish to use cellular services while you’re in another country, you can look at https://www.airalo.com/ for affordable data plans and then download an app like Fongo and pick a local number to where you currently live. They do however charge for texting. TextNow is free calling and texting. You can use both of these VOIP programs via WiFi or on a data only SIM card.

@Yash_Grg wrote:

I am a Public mobile customer. Can I take my current phone to the United Kingdom and Cyprus?

Sorry, but there is no service with Public Mobile anywhere except for Canada and the US (within a Canada-US plan or US roaming add-on).

Need Help? Let's chat.