cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to a 3G phone

zsak
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My iPhone was using 4G, but it broke. I don't want a new phone. I have two older Samsung phones that are not 4G capable. I don't use Data, don't beed data, don't care about data speeds, don't need 4G etc. Do I need a special or different account from the one i have in order to use a 3G phone?

Thanks

39 REPLIES 39

zsak

That's what I have and that's what my wife has. And it's not about the money, it's about minimal exposure to aggravation. I've worked in technology since 1968, just long enough to come to hate it...

zsak

Both phones worked on 3G on Canadian networks before 4G/LTE became "a thing."  I use 5 minutes of voice time per month and send/receive maybe 10 texts per month. I have Data disabled, never use it, don't care about speeds. Voice calls have always been crappy, even on 4G/LTE so I'm used to that. I wish someone would start a texting only service so that I could avoid nuisance voice calls. (I already have my phone set to "Do not answer if caller is not in Contacts." I'm a minimalist, old school, old fart who's been in the technology game long enough to hate it. Thanks for your reply

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@zsak  There’s. $15 plan that’s unlimited text unlimited incoming calls only 100 out going calls thou 

zsak

... and my call quality has never been great anyway so I'm used to it, but it doesn't matter because I only use my phone for maybe 5 minutes a month and text about 10 times a month. (I wish that there was a texting only service... so that I could avoid getting nuisance voice calls completely. I already have "Do not answer if caller is not in my Contact list" enabled)

Hi @zsak 

you don't.  The plan you have is just a speed plan.  All plan can access 3G/4G/5G network, just at different speed based on your plan

So, what old phone you have? if they care Canadian unlocked phone, it should work. 

zsak

I used them on PM before 4G was available on PM. I juste needed to know if I now need a special or different account in order to use 3G, seeing as how I've been using 4G/LTE with my iPhone for the past couple of years

zsak

Thank you. Just the answer I needed

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@zsak 

You will not need to switch to a different account.  Just try the SIM card in the older phones.  Which models of Samsung? The phones may not be fully compatible with Public mobile.  

With the introduction of VoLTE, your call quality may not be as good with the older phones.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/volte

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@zsak  No just take SIM card out of phone and put it into the replacement phone and you should be good to go 

Need Help? Let's chat.