cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to $29 4G 40GB Plan

funpig1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am currently on a $29 4G 30GB plan.  It looks like I can can switch my subscription to the new $29 4G 40GB plan. 

Is there any downside to switching my subscription to the new plan (upon renewal)? 

I am still receiving cash reward discounts ($12) on my current plan. If I switch, will PM automatically convert me to the dreaded rewards point plan?  Or will it make no difference since PM is forcing the switch to rewards points anyways.

7 REPLIES 7

funpig1

FYI, I opted to change my subscription to the $15 plan upon renewal starting today.  I would like to use up some of my bonus and legacy data and switch to perhaps $21 plan in future.  You can follow the progress of the switch to the $15 plan here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Question-about-the-240-GB-Bonus-Data-and-...

funpig1

Edit: I meant to say renewal date instead of anniversary date. 

My monthly renewal is scheduled for the 8th.

Currently, my legacy rewards are still applicable. I'm going to wait for the renewal under the old plan and hopefully still get my legacy reward; I can save $12 on my bill.  After that renewal, I will think about switching to the 40GB plan for the following month's renewal.

The $21 plan would probably be the best for me. Currently it is only available for new activation only. 

In the past I was able to switch to a new activation plan and still keep my rewards with the help of customer service. That was how I switch from my old $25 3G plan to the new activation only $29 boxing day plan. However, customer service told me that they would only help subscribers to switch to new activation plans if the new activation plan is a higher price than your currently subscribed plan. I will wait to see if PM will make the $21 plan available for current subscribers.

Note:  I see that the $15 4G 0GB plan is available for current subscribers. One thing that I could possibly do is switch to the $15 plan. I have lots of bonus rollover data that I have never used. I could probably use that $15 plan for 3 or 4 months and not notice any difference. However, I may do this perhaps in October or November and then wait to see if some crazy good boxing day deal comes up in December. That way I can upgrade from the $15 plan up to a higher priced big promo new activation plan with the help of customer service.

HI  @funpig1 

everyone will get switch to the new system sometimes this month.  So, your plan change or not would not make a difference, you will be on the new rewards.  For anniversary date, it will be the anniversary date of when you first join PM, not when PM migrated you to the new system.

for the plan change, there is no down side, just go ahead!!

But if you are low usage users, keep an eye on the $21 3GB plan, it is current for new activation only, but I think it might be available for everyone eventually.  That would be a much better plan for your usage

Hey @funpig1 

It seems I was switched over either Thursday or Friday. Nowhere close to my Ann date. The Legacy Rewards system is dead. There is no way it's coming back. My protest is very simple and I think everyone can agree. All we're looking for is even Steven. $7 that we had every month in Legacy Rewards credits are given to us as 7 Public Mobile points per month. 

Valid case about not switching over. Still no drawbacks though of chaning. 10GB extra for same costs ever hurts. There may come a day where you may need it.

funpig1

@Chalupa_Batman 

Have you already been switched from legacy rewards to points rewards? If so, when? What was your anniversary date? 

The PM statement says that they are making the switch from legacy to points "starting in May, 2024".  That might mean that the switch may take longer than May, 2024. To me, it may make sense that the switch might take place on a subscriber's anniversary date.  If that is the case I would prefer to hold off from switching voluntarily for as long as possible. Also, in the off chance that your protest is somehow successful, it may be difficult to switch back to the legacy reward system if I voluntarily switched to the point system.

I do not use a lot of mobile data. I used to have the $25 3G 1GB plan. Even after I switched over to my current 4G 30 GB plan, I still only average about 1 GB of mobile data usage per month. I mostly use Wi-Fi data. So switching to 40 GB is not so important to me other than just having that extra capacity just in case. 

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

@funpig1  would make no difference as you will be switched anyway within the next few weeks. 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @funpig1 

No downside at all... at renewal. Only thing, you may not get all your discounts since we are all being forced to leave Legacy Rewards to Public Points. You will get 1 point for every referral still which equals $1 but anything Legacy Rewards related, you will lose. For me, I lost $7 a month. Hence the reason I filed a CCTS complaint. Hate to sound like a broken record, but I encourage everyone who's losing their Legacy Rewards to do this.

Although, if you're OK paying $5 more a month, you can get 50GB of 5G data PLUS can use your phone in the US at no extra charge!!!

https://subscribe.publicmobile.ca/en/mb/activation/plans/50GB-5Gspeed17

Need Help? Let's chat.