cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching phones? can PM unlock my iPhone? @Moderator_Team

bradkastephens
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just bought an iPhone 6 used. IMEI number checked out my PM.

Seller says its unlocked but i'm gettin the "SIM not registered" msg.

SIM is from PM, and came out of my LG G4 (which just died on me)

how do i go about getting this phone to work? Seller claims he unlocked it (he's with Fido) but he says he had to pay 50$ to have it done as well, which doesn't make sense becasue it should be free from your carrier. so besides not sure if seller is telling the truth or not, the phone appears to be locked. Can you help moderators?

21 REPLIES 21

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bradkastephens wrote:

finally unlocked but the second last poster has a good point.

this could have very well been a warranty scam. 

i hope that's not the case. 

Do you have a copy/screenshot of the original ad? As well, keep any conversations (like what you posted earlier).

How did you pay? If anything but cash definitely keep track of that transaction but I suspect the seller probably insisted on cash.

On hopefully the brighter side, it could just be an inexperienced seller and it'll all be good.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

did you meet the person where he lives or at a coffee shop somewhere?

when i have been concered I have asked for DL# etc... 

I have found varagesale a little better than kijiji et all bc they use facebook profiles.  

but in the end if they are going to scam you they will. 

bradkastephens

finally unlocked but the second last poster has a good point.

this could have very well been a warranty scam. 

i hope that's not the case. 

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@bradkastephens sorry that you have to go through this. 

I was afraid of this with your first message. His whole conversation sound like a lie and shady. 

So is it finally unlocked?

koimr1

Wow. Not to alarm you but red flags going off for me here.

Please be careful. A very common scam is someone sells their phone and then some time later reports it stolen so they can get a replacement via their provider. Not much you can do on this one except keep as much documentation as you can.

bradkastephens

fido said they can't unlock it without the original owner of the phone, or at least the person who had it on that network last.

you guys have to read t his conversation:

ME: i just checked the origins of my sim card, its compatible with iphone. but the message i'm getting suggest the phone is locked. So its not the sim card. i just want to make sure you're with FIDO, because that's who i will have to get to unlock the phone
23h
HIM yes its fido 100 percent
23h
HIM anyways enjoy take care
23h
ME ok thanks.
23h
ME i'll let you know if i have any problems getting it unlocked
23h
ME so the phone is locked. and you have the ability to get it unlocked for free if you call your provider. Is there anyway you could do this? if not its going to cost me $50 to do. And whereas you had this advertised as unlocked, i'm hopeing you will comply. thanks
4h
HIM it cost me 50 dollars as well brad I sold the phone for a low price and your provider is a weird one that's why its needs to be unlocked if u like I cancome pick the phone up and we have a offer for 350 dollars we can sell it for and return your money
3h
ME Fido charged you $50 to unlock it? It should be free for you?
3h
 ME Unlocked is unlocked though. its either locked to a provider or it isn't. I called Fido today and they said with the message coming up on the screen, that indicates the phone is in fact locked. Who unlocked it for you? I'm not trying to create an issue here, i'm just trying to arrive at a solution.
3h
ME Listen, could you please just contact Fido and have it unlocked, its at absolutley no cost to you, its the law now. Its possible the unlock didn't get performed correctly? Maybe you weren't aware that its free for you to unlock a phone now? for you its free if you're with a carrier and the phone is locked to your carrier.
2h
ME What's the cell number attached (was) attached to the phone? Because Public Mobile is an affiliate of Telus, i think i might be able to get Telus to unlock it, they are just requesting the phone number that was last used with it
2h
HIM We were just wanting to sell the phone with no complications. It’s easier if u just get it unlocked yourself my friend we were told it was unlocked and that’s all the info we knew.
56m
ME so you weren't the original owner of the phone? you said it was yours and that your new one was in the mail. and you said you paid $50 to have it unlocked. This is very shady man.
35m
ME is this phone stolen? if it comes up blacklisted that will be very dissapointing
35m
HIM Listen here. Buddy I bought the phone brand new ok I’m unlocking as we speak I was not aware racist I haven’t sold a phone in my life never so don’t call me shady ok Reset your phone turn it off then back on.
27m
HIM Future reference don’t ever accuse anyone U got a great deal

seconds after receiving this, the phone worked

@bradkastephens if you know someone who is a customer or fido or Rogers, just ask them if they can call Rogers or fido and get it unlocked for you. 

Another thing you may want to try or have your fido or Rogers friend to try, is to go online on Rogers or fido chat and get it unlocked by their online chat support. 

bradkastephens

in fact yes it was a bootloop issue. 

I'm not the original owner and couldnt come up with a "receipt" so they said it would cost me 150$ CDN to have it fixed. i paid 200 for it used so and on top of that i wasn't that impressed with the hardware. i do enjoy android..and i don't have anything against iphone. iphones last imo. i found this iphone 6 for 220$ cdn. 

@bradkastephens, before spending more money on this phone I would try get in touch with the provider to see if they will unlock it.  I would also be a little concerned like you are saying about wondering if the phone is blacklisted.  The IMEI checker here has been known to give false results

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

bradkastephens

ive accepted the fact that he more than likely fibbed about actually having it unlocked. i'm just hoping now that the phone isn't blacklisted or something. Even tho PM said it isn't with the IMEI number check. 

I went online and used cellunlocker.net. 

20 bucks canadian. better than 50...other than it says it takes 1-3 business days to work.

any one use this before?

@bradkastephens even if they are claiming that the paid $50 to unlock, they should not have any problems calling fido and getting it unlocked for free. Fido will do it without any charge or any issue for sure. 

If the seller still hesitates to unlock it, I would be worried about the selling lying to you or the phone being blacklisted. 

If you still want to test more to prove the seller wrong, you can putting in a telus or bell sim or take it to a telus or bell store and ask them to test if it's unlocked. 

Good luck. 

bsperanz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

that's why you don't get an iphone 😛 android all day!

is your LG G4 experiencing a boot loop? Mine did that a year ago, I called LG and they fixed it for free because it's a known issue. No shipping charge either. Took less than 2 weeks to fix and send back to me, however they had to factory reset the phone. If this is the issue, you may as well send it in and sell it once fixed.

If this isn't the issue, what happened? I still am using the G4 and am curious to know what other issues I should keep an eye for. 

If he unlocked before December 2017 then there was a charge. As of December 1st 2017, unlocking is free of charge. 

If he is telling you the truth then he should not have a problem calling fido again and getting it unlocked free of charge. 

bradkastephens

yeah the seller is claiming he himself had to pay $50 to have it unlocked while being with FIDO, and just recently too. 

You have to be a current or former fido or Rogers customer to get it unlocked. 

And I think the phone has to be linked to your current or former account. 

@bradkastephens, sorry it does look like that phone is still locked.  You can try to getthe seller to take it back in, or try it yourself not sure if you still have to be a customer to get a provider locked phone unlocked

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

bradkastephens

yes the wifi is on

Do you have your wifi on while putting the PM SIM card in?

if not, try turning the wifi on and then insert pm sim in

bradkastephens

Well the message reads out "SIM Not supported" with this following coming up "The SIM carde that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the phone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information. 

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@bradkastephens Only the original service provider where the phone was bought from can unlock the phone. PM won't be able to unlock the phone. 

You can try contacting the seller again and ask them to get it unlocked from fido again. It's not going to cost them anything since the unlock is free now. 

If they hesitate then unfortunately, I think they maybe lying to you. Then unfortunately, you may have to worry about the imei being blacklisted down the road which will make the phone useless. 

matbasm

@bradkastephens, If your phone is truly locked to FIDO, then the moderators would not be able to unlock it for you.  Only FIDO can do that. 

Need Help? Let's chat.