cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Samsung to iPhone 3gs

Kikanada
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, my Samsung died on me and I was given a working, unlocked iPhone 3 gs. I'd used it with various providers while travelling in Europe and South America and it worked just fine. But I get a "No Service" notice from Public. The phone returns my IMEI number and shows my PM phone number, so it is reading the SIM card, but not connecting to the network. I tried changing cellular settings but still no go. Any idea what I can do tto make it work? Thank you!

25 REPLIES 25

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@DanZap while it's nice of you to weigh in with some helpful suggestions here, please note that you've replied to a thread that's been dormant for just over 3 years, last active in Dec 2015.  I don't think anyone on this thread is still waiting for help, I'm pretty sure they've got it sorted out by now, or moved on to other things.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

DanZap

You could try installing the applicable APN settings from unlockit.co.nz with safari on your iphone viaa wifi hotspot or other wifi connection. 

I just switched my iphone 5s runninng IOS 7 and could not manually enter proper network settings to get public mobile network to work.  I had to connect to a wifi, then visit unlockit.co.nz to install the APN provisions for my phone.  It's free btw.

I think the maximum supported ios for the 3gs is ios 6.16

@DK, I remember reading that if iPhone is not using latest is or firmware thing, data won't function, as I remember the multiple posts from ages past on that. Also, iPhone 3 and 4 to a degree are kinda ol and not too much support as opposed to iPhone 5 and now 6

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Don't mind m28 as you can get data to work on i3gs! Just requires using an APN editing website. The only caveat is that it will make  MMS unusable.

Kikanada

@Luddite I checked that thread before starting this one.

I honestly could live without a cell phone but the world won't let me 🙂

Kikanada

@makkahn28 I wasn't aware of that. Is it a PM rule? Because it worked with many other providers.

Kikanada

@DK Nope, phone was never jailbroken, but legally unlocked for a hefty fee, some 4 years ago. 

DK
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Kikanada, is the phone already jailbroken or was it in the past? Sounds like the baseband maybe be screwed up as if it's running iPad baseband which a lot of 3gs jailbroken devices did it will have issues getting network service.

I had an old i3gs with network issues,  no service and I had to downgrade the iOS and baseband. There are tutorials online for it.

Cheers

Hi. I should point out this: Older iphones will not have data access, unless you have latest os working

I respectfully disagree with @Luddite about the need to email PM support. Such contact would only create confusion and take away from PM's precious few support resources.

It is quite clear that no one at PM can do anything about this situation since it is decidedly related to one particular device which was not purchased from PM.

Just to be clear that 3G is found under Voice & Data in Cellular settings (in iOS 9 anyway)? Jailbreaking should not be required. 

Also, send an email to PM describing the problem and check out this post: iPhone 4/3GS/3G. They take up to 2 days to respond so you can also keep checking this forum for ideas.

BTW: How long can you survive without service?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Kikanada

@Luddite It`s 3G allright. I found some jailbreaking tutorials but would rather not do it. WIll try downgrading to a previous iOS maybe. I really just need it to call & text.

In addition to @7789849803's thoughts, double check the phone did not set itself to 2G cellular service. If your phone is going to work it must be set for 3G. Rogers still operates a 2G network.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Possibly...but a hard reset usually takes care of any software issues. My money is on this being hardware-related. Hopefully it'll be a cheap fix...

Kikanada

I think the issue might be with my iOS version (6.1.6). This thing might just be getting too old.

@Kikanada You're very welcome - though I wish I had better news for you.

Please come back and let us know what you find out in the end.

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Unfortunately, I agree with @7789849803. It looks like something is wrong with the hardware (again, assuming the SIM card works fine in other phones). Hopefully it's an easy (and cheap) fix.

Kikanada

@7789849803 Ok Thank you!

@Kikanada wrote:

I powered it off and on twice and reset factory settings. When I go to Settings / Carrier / Network Selection, the Automatic function returns no results. In the Manual mode, it just keeps on searching, nothing pops up.

This is most definitely a phone (likely hardware) issue, since the problem is not just with latching on to the PM network - but the phone not seeing ANY wireless network in your area. I would take it to a nearby mobile phone repair facility to see what they have to say.

Kikanada

And my IMEI is not blocked, I checked on the Public website.

Kikanada

Thank you @youbme . I powered it off and on twice and reset factory settings. When I go to Settings / Carrier / Network Selection, the Automatic function returns no results. In the Manual mode, it just keeps on searching, nothing pops up.

@Kikanada Okay, so that model does support both 850 and 1900 MHz - Telus' 3G network frequencies (but 4G is not supported).

Have you checked to make sure the IMEI is not blocked on the PM network for some reason? You can do so here: http://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-started

Once you make sure it's not blocked, the next step would be to run a manual network search on your phone and try to connect to the "Public Mobile" network. Post the result here and we'll take it from there.

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That is a peculiar situation. I'm assuming you've tried to power off/on the phone a few times? It might be worth doing a reset of the phone as well. If you are certain that the SIM card is functional (as it worked with your previous phone), then it is probably a hardware issue. What exactly is showing up when you attempt to search for cell networks?

Kikanada

Model number is A1303. It was used with Rogers but then unlocked before travelling abroad. 

Mayor / Maire

@Kikanada Can you please give us the specific model number from the back cover?

Also, please let us know if this device was ever used in North America before. If so, with what carrier?

Need Help? Let's chat.