cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching from Existing Plans to a Boxing Week Plan.

funpig1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My son and I are trying to switch from our existing plans to one of the boxing week special plans today, on the last day, January 8!  I hope this information helps others this last day of the promotions or in the future.

I have been a PM subscriber for almost 5 years. I am currently on a $25 3G 1 GB plan. I would like to switch to the boxing week $29 4G 30 GB plan (only available for new activation). I am still on the old legacy rewards plan and have five referrals. I only occasionally post in the community and will earn the odd help rewards (hint hint, LOL)

My son has only been a PM subscriber for about a year. He is currently on a $39 4G 20GB plan. He wanted to switch to the $34 5g 50GB boxing week plan (only available for new activation). He is on the rewards point plan.

OK.  Here is what happened to us.  I sent a private message to CS_Agent requesting the switch.  After a few hours, PM asked me for two pieces of proof that I am a subscriber (eg. account number, last 4 digits of credit card, or last payment/date, etc) and they would see what they can do for me. I suggest that you send this info in your first message in order to save time. I sent the proof info  and shortly afterwards, the Agent sent another message asking me to pay the $29 in my account and they would process the change for me. I went to the payment section of my account, changed the existing payment from $25 to $29 which then added in the GST/PST.  Now the account shows that I have $29 credit.  Please note that I am switching from a lower priced existing plan to a higher priced promotional plan (see below).

As a coincidence, my current plan expired today.  I asked the agent if he could process my new subscription after any paid current renewal has expired.  I also advised the agent that I am on the legacy rewards and do not want to switch to the new points reward.  

I am waiting to see what happens after the switch is processed and will report back shortly.  Fingers crossed.

My son has a different story.  After I told him about my experience, he sent a message to CS_Agent along with his account number and the last 4 digits of his credit card requesting the switch.  The agent responded.  However, the PM agent told my son that PM would not allow him to switch to a new activation plan that was cheaper than his plan.  PM would allow him to switch to a new activation plan if the cost was higher and he would have to switch immediately, losing what he had already paid on this month's plan.  My son and PM had a back and forth discussion.  The upshot was that the agent told my son that PM will not allow an existing subscriber to switch if the new promotional plan is a lower price than his current plan.  My son was on a $39 plan and wanted to switch to a $34 plan.  No amount of argument could get PM to change their stance.

Anyways, it appears that if you are an existing customer, in order to switch to a better (new activation) promo plan, the new plan must cost more than the old plan. PM wants to make more not less money. I see that PM is offering boxing week specials for existing subscribers but each special is for much more data and at a higher price than those deals for new activations.

My son says he is going to wait downgrade to a cheap PM plan like the $15 or $25 plan about a month before the next season of promo deals and then try to do a switch like I did, again.  

YMMV.  Good Luck.

5 REPLIES 5

MakoLita
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yesterday, I was able to switch from the $34 40GB plan to the $29 30 GB 4G plan with no issues from the CS Agent. I needed to make an immediate plan change, but the agent applied the $10 rewards credit I had in my account  (which I have every month under the legacy rewards system). I was really happy about it and surprised as the agent was willing to "make an exception".  I guess it never hurts to ask. First time I asked for a plan change by the way. All the previous times, I changed plans through My Account only if it's available for existing customers. 😀

funpig1

PM reset the system and asked me to restart my phone. 

Before, my phone showed LTE.  Now, after the restart, it shows LTE+ and I am getting a reasonable 40 Mbps download speed. However, upload is only about 1.5 Mbps.

Okay, for extra $4 per month.

funpig1

I am happy to report that PM switched my subscription from my existing $25 3G plan to the "new activation" $29 30 GB 4G plan today. I would note the following:

1. I even got a refund on my old 3G subscription.  However, it may be because I put in the request to switch on January 7th and my new cycle was to start on January 8th. I got automatically billed/paid on the old plan at 8:00 a.m. on January 8th and the switch took place the same day later that afternoon. 

2.  The $29 promotion plan still shows up for sale even though the deadline is supposed to be January 8th. Today, in my messaging with the agent, I asked if it was still possible to make the same switch for my wife. The agent told me that the promotion was still on-going and that they would do it for my wife. Therefore, if you would still like to take advantage of the promotion, you should send a message to CS_Agent. My wife is about 2/3 into her current cycle so I'm not sure if she will get any refund for the balance like I did.

3. I do have one issue with the 4G.  I ran a speedtest on my new 4G plan. However, the download speed was was only about 3.0 Mbps and the upload speed was negligible. I guess my new 4G speed is technically "up to 100Mbps" as advertised. Does anybody else have this slow speed problem? I wonder if I need to upgrade my SIM card which is almost 5 years old or change to a newer eSIM.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

Hi, very informative and useful important provided. I hope it works out for you and I wish your son success with his.

I'm sure something fair will present itself for him shortly... just keep looking. 💯 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @funpig1 

Now, with this being said, you will see that most plans are for new customers. However, if you like one of those plans and you are willing to upgrade, not downgrade, you can reach out to a CS Agent and nicely request to be "upgraded" to this plan. They will not downgrade.  Also note, if they do say yes, you WILL lose anything you've paid for this cycle and the new plan/cycle will start right away. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

I can personally confirm I upgraded to a plan that's for new customers only. Just be nice to them.

I upgraded from the $25 5GB 3G plan to the $29 30GB 4G plan. 

Chalupa_Batman_0-1704770282427.png

It might be too late to message them as they may be closed for the day but get your message in now and see what happens.

Need Help? Let's chat.