cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching back to my Nexus 5

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I want everyone to keep their fingers crossed.  I'm switching back to my Nexus 5, leaving my iPhone 5s in the dust.

its been a long while since I've used the Nexus 5.  I'm running Marshmellow.  Already installed WiK's Data Witness.

Looking forward to this!

7 REPLIES 7

I actually make use of these suggestions already.  I came home with 44% battery remaining this afternoon.  I can handle that.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

There's a few things you can do to save the OS from burning through the battery.

1. Turn off Wifi Scanning and Bluetooth scanning.

2. Disable location history.

3. If you have the setting, turn off cell alerts. AFAIK, we don't have this in Canada.

4. Disable syncing of google services you don't use. By default, Google enables everything to sync. incl. Chrome bookmarks to Google Fit Data to Play Books and Movies. Turn off those you don't want.

5. If you don't use GPS much, turn GPS to off.

6. Disable notifications and phone home settings in your apps. Some apps have their own push/pull notifications which can cause the device to wake up.

7. Turn down the display brightness - esp. at night.

Keep a close eye on the battery graph in Android. Ideally, it should be almost flatline if your device is asleep (not in use). The horizontal bars for Wifi and Awake should almost match that of the Screen except for certain small marks when Google wakes up periodically. If you have huge sections of Wifi and Awake bars where the Screen does not, something is not right.

EDIT: If you have wifi scanning turned on, your WiFi bar will be solid regardless of the Screen On bar.

fktw
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
@stonechucker, I don't think the battery is at fault here. The OS is just burning through the mAh. Unless you're buying a bigger battery, I don't think it would help.

Yes, I see the poor battery life also.  I was thinking of getting a replacement battery.  I'm just not sure if that's going to be most cost efficient or not.

fktw
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

The one complaint I have with my Nexus 5 is battery life.  It's pretty horrible...can't get more than 90 mins of screen time without it dying.  Moving to a used LG G4 soon.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire
I attempted to flash a ROM, it ran I to issues. I'm going to try again soonish.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Been using Nexus 5 since i joined Public Mobile. It works just fine as long as you don't watch lot of videos or play games. For simple use like calling/texting/surfing, it should be your daily driver. 

To make it even better/faster, look into custom rom, but i do not recommend if you're not familial with installing/flashing. I recently installed one of the marhsmallow rom and its been fantastic so far. 

Need Help? Let's chat.