cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching an existing public mobile account & number to a NEW public mobile phone

chelsear
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there,

Help please! I don't see any specific instructions for moving an existing account/number to a used public mobile phone.

This is the scenario:

I just purchased a used iphone 8 Plus from public mobile. It comes with a new SIM card.  I have an existing account for my iphone 7S, which has a public mobile SIM card (the previous one) in it.

I need to know the following:

-First of all, are new-used phones purchased from public mobile unlocked? (or do I need to go somewhere and get it unlocked?)

-I want to keep my existing account, plan, and phone number. Do I put the NEW SIM card that came with the iphone 8 plus in the new iphone 8 plus - OR do I get the OLD SIM card out of my iphone 7s? And then what do I do?

-How do I put in/remove SIM cards?

Thank you!

8 REPLIES 8

You can put your PM SIM card into any phone. Any phone which is SIM-compatible (it has the proper slot, lol), is radio-compatible (almost certain if purchased in Canada/USA within the last decade), is not carrier-locked (configured to only work on one network), and it's not blacklisted (reported as lost/stolen/etc). You could put your PM SIM card into a different phone every day if you like.

I've done it often while referring people. I put my PM SIM card into their phone, restart - and I can show them on the spot that everything works (calling, texting, etc) - or I cannot because the phone is carrier-locked ("Invalid SIM" typically means the phone is locked, especially if the SIM works fine in other phones, regardless of whatever untruths the vendor/retailer told the owner).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chelsear 

For Certified Pre-Owned phones are refurbished, high-quality phones that have gone through extensive inspection, then cleaned and re-packaged so you get only 100% functionality. All of our Public Certified Pre-Owned phones come with a 1-year Certified Pre-Owned warranty, Plus, if you’re not happy with the device you selected, return it within 30-days of purchase under Money Back Guarantee..

Certified Pre-owned Phones (publicmobile.ca)

CPO Warranty, Returns & Repair (publicmobile.ca)

Good Luck and enjoy your service...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chelsear 

my advice to you for the new device for iphone 8 plus do this

Factory Reset iPhone,

and after do this

How to Transfer All Data from an Old iPhone to a New iPhone without iTunes or iCloud

and for the New SIM card you getting with device keep it for spare..

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@chelsear    Yes the phones from PM's CPO are all unlocked.   You can transfer your old SIM to the newer phone and keep the SIM that came with it as a spare to either replace yours should it ever become defective (unlikely) or lost, or for a new referral for family or friend.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chelsear wrote:

Great - thank you! You are sure that's all?

@chelsear 

100%

chelsear
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Great - thank you! You are sure that's all?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chelsear 

you don't need to do anything 

just take your old SIM card and put it in your new device.

Need Help? Let's chat.