cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched to 4g plan 2 weeks ago and I'm getting terrible speeds

Xyimous
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Getting 1-2 Mbps on speedtest.net. People say it takes 48 hours but I've switched on this plan 2 weeks ago. And these are some poor speeds.

20 REPLIES 20

@darlicious- I make of it that only they can suggest replacing the sim at their cost. It all has to be their brilliant, last ditch idea.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Xyimous 

Thank you. So it seems as though the agent didn't try reprovisioning? It's interesting that a Sim card replacement did work.....which is great that it did and you were credited back it's cost. I'm just trying to understand how or why and the reasoning the agent gave for the data speed not unthrottling on your account/plan/Sim card? Thanks again this kind of feedback is invaluable.

@dust2dust 

What do you make of this?

Xyimous

"There are multiple factors for the 4G to work as it should.

In settings, go to reset and reset Network settings.

Insert SIM into another phone, insert another SIM (with 4G plan please)

It can be the SIM, the phone or a bad zone. If it is the SIM, buy another 

one, send us the receipt and we will refund."
I informed him I tried resetting my network settings already. So it ended up just being try buying a new SIM card.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Xyimous 

Thanks for the update. I'm curious though....did the agent try to reprovision your Sim card first? Then you ran another speed test with the same results and thats when the agent suggested a new sim card?

Xyimous

To add since I forgot to mention, my first test I ran on speed test did 140 Mbps oppose to the 1-2 Mbps on LTE .

Xyimous

For anyone wondering, I fixed it by contacting a CSA agent. He told me to get a new SIM card which will get reimbursed and to switch SIM cards. I finally got a new SIM card and had manually switched the SIM number via self-serve and it fixed it immediately.

Just posting the solution in case someone else has this problem in the future. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Xyimous 

hi please leave the preferred network to auto don't change it... wcdma is also considered 4g on your device. what you're looking for is LTE and your device was already correctly set up. your account needs to be looked at by customer support. the speed test hit 10mbps because your device was running off of the hspa+ considered 3g(4g on your device) network

the rated speeds are 20-100mbps download and 4-20mbps upload. this was taken with the tower about 100-150 meters from the house. I was able to achieve koodos "turbo" speeds!

Screenshot_20230101-083425.png

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Xyimous 

I suspect you Sim card needs reprovisioning but you can also try toggling airplane mode on/off to get a new connection to the network. If after reprovisioning you still get slow data speeds wait 48 hours again to test. It can't hurt to ask for some compensation for the time you have not had the data speed you are paying for....ask for a 1GB data add on the CSA should be willing to make you a happy customer that understands these things happen? 😁

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@Xyimous 

I'm getting 100 Mbps speeds on my plan.

You should reach out to a Customer

Support Agent and have them look into your sim card and provisions for it.

Use the Chatbot Simon to get a service ticket started.

Hi @Xyimous 

you can try to Reset All Netrork , then change back to LTE and it could work better.  

@Xyimous it's weird, WCDNA and GSM are 3G and  2G , but you are getting better speee

Try toggle between  LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) to WCDMA/GSM (autoconnect in different area and see if you get even better speed.  Even not top speed 100Mbps, you should get much better than 10Mbps

@Xyimous the 4G speed is only up too 100mbs up to not always 

That's unacceptable speeds on the 4G network, @Xyimous 

Can you try another speed test option to see if you get comparable speeds.  When doing the test, make sure no other items are running and toggle off Wi-Fi.   Use DATA only for your connection.

If you still get the same speeds in an outside location (i.e. not in a basement in a house or middle of an apartment building or large concrete structure like Costco), then contact the CSA's and let them know you're unsatisfied.

Before you do that, however, perhaps try the speedtest in a different device just to see if speeds are comparable.  Just place your SIM in that device and give it a go with the same conditions.

To contact a Customer Support Agent, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type Customer Support Agent, then select Contact Us, then select Other (or the topic that more closely matches your request).  Click the result which states Click here to submit a ticket and follow the prompts,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the Customer Support Agent by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

Xyimous

I switched my mobile network mode from LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect) to WCDMA/GSM (autoconnect) and now it's displaying as 4g instead of LTE next to my service bar, and my speed is sitting at 10 mbps now, much faster but I find that still slower than what I should be getting. Is that what to expect?

@Xyimous did you try the speed test at different area of the city?

Check your phone's Preferred network type , make sure Automatic or 4G or LTE is selected.  After changing that, the status bar on top should show LTEbor 4G as well

@Xyimous @On your phone , network settings 

Xyimous

I've reboot my phone yes, it's been 2 weeks. What do you mean by changing it to 4G? Is it a setting on public mobile itself? If you're talking about the phone, it is displaying as LTE which is 4G.

@Xyimous @Try manually selecting 4G/LTE

Xyimous

To further add, I have a Note 9. I tried restarting my phone. Turning it off and on. Removing SIM card. All didn't work.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Xyimous @Did you change your network to 4G or reboot your phone 

Need Help? Let's chat.