cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch from the in-famous $120 12GB/3mo plan to a newer plan?

604jimmy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have one of the old $120 90-day Province-Wide Talk + Text + 12GB Data plans that they promised us we can keep forever. They new plan is tempting because I get 5GB/mo and gives Canada-wide calling.

Should I switch? 🤔

@alohaya
 image (2).png

8 REPLIES 8

@softech- You are the only one repeating the mantra of price for life. Obviously nobody expects a price to stay the same forever. The objection was that the company didn't follow THEIR OWN rules in THEIR "contract" with their customers. The email and text was a nicety but it was not in the agreement that binds both parties.

The other objection was that they could at least have given a little something to justify the price increase/forced plan change. But no. It was a just a greedy price hike with nothing to show for it other than maybe a few thousand extra dollars in profits, if that, with the few remaining $13 plan holders.

@604jimmy   no surprise is not a price guarantee

PM is bounded by CRTC regulations and the the law only requiring them to provide enough notice ahead about any price and service changes.  30 days is sufficient

PM has raised the $10 to $13 plan earlier this year.  They have done a "fine" job in providing notice  more than 30 days via email and text.  Obviously, some members do not like the deicsion and thought it was "Price for life", they went ahead and made formal complain but the price hike stays

So, like anything in life, changes are unavoidable.  Price could change  🙂

604jimmy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't know @computergeek541. It was clear and documented in their advertising that they won't change the price. They said "No Surprises" 🙂 

They tried increasing the price in 2018, but reversed the decision quick when people pointed out "No Suprises"

Pirate1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I agree with the others ^^ I just switched myself to the $40/mo plan which gives you unlimited texting and calling in Canada with 15Gb of data. The $45/mo with 20Gb is a great deal as well. 😀

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@604jimmy 

There are no guarantees that an arbitrary rate hike won't occur to the Fall 2016 promo as you well know from 2018 but it's those very words you quoted and a very vocal outcry by pm customers that led to a quick reversal 24 hours later.

While not as direct the latest pricing of limited time "4G" plans has been indicated to be "permanent" once you remain on the plan and references to the terms of service has been noticeably absent from the terms and conditions. So unlike all of the promotions between then and now where any questions asked regarding rate plan increases were answered with a link to the terms of service.....I have yet to find that link in the "small print", plan announcements or even the plans page.

Then again when it came to the 30% rate hike to the $10 50/50 legacy plan this past spring pm pretty much threw the terms of service out the window.

There is a co-ordinated effort on the part of the big three to increase their double digit profitability and artificially lower the average price per gigabyte statistically by migrating customers from lower priced small or no data plans to mid-priced large data bucket plans to downplay the detractors and widespread criticism of the high price of data and mobile plans in Canada. As a result the pricing of the recent $40/15gb, $45/20gb and $55/20gb student plan with public mobile is likely safely locked in so as to appease both customers and the regulators while maximizing profits.

If you will use the data available to you in the $40/15gb or $45/20gb plan then it only makes financial sense to schedule a change plan on next renewal to a 30 day "4G" plan that offers you more features for the same (or cheaper for some customers) price.

dejavu89
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi Jimmy, 

Considering your current plan usage, I believe the $40 plan which gives 15 GB is a no brainer. For the same cost you get 15 GB every month (vs 12 GB for three months) and this too on LTE speeds. Make the switch!!!

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@604jimmy 

there's actually a $40/15gb and a $45/20gb promo for existing customers 

@604jimmy wrote:

I have one of the old $120 90-day Province-Wide Talk + Text + 12GB Data plans that they promised us we can keep forever. They new plan is tempting because I get 5GB/mo and gives Canada-wide calling.

Should I switch? 🤔

@alohaya
 image (2).png

There is absolutely no guarantee that the price won't be increased on any of the plans in the future.  Aside from the fact that you can choose when to use your data over the 90 day period and potentially higher speeds on the Fall Promo 2016 paln, there are very little reason to keep the old plan.  The Fall Promo 2016 plan is no longer competitive.

Need Help? Let's chat.