cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch from sim card to e-sim while keeping same cell #

futureSEAL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The above is probably going to require the expertise of a magician. However, that's what I'm trying to do. The reason for such is as follows:

I've enrolled in summer school in the U.S.  I can tell already that my interests, while here, will best be served by getting a physical sim card for my iPhone11 from a U.S. cell carrier. However, since all my buddies in Quebec know me through my Canad. #, I'm thinking I can switch from publicMobile sim to PM e-sim card, keep the same Canad. #, and run -- on the same cell phone -- two accounts simultaneously.

Thoughts? 

5 REPLIES 5

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@futureSEAL 

I have the TextNow SIM while I am in the USA. The SIM will allow you to make free calling and texting without WiFi. You can purchase data if you need it.
It works great on 4G/LTE or 5G on the T-Mobile network.

The SIM is only $4.99 usd but you need a U.S. address and a U.S. CC but they take PayPal.

IMG_0104.jpeg

IMG_0075.png

Just download the TextNow app now and pick an area code and number. You can activate the SIM at any free WiFi locations like Starbucks in the U.S.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@futureSEAL 

you gonna have good access to wifi while in skool ? Consider downloading free voip app such as TextNow. You'll select a free Cdn number so others can call / text you AND you'll be able to call / text them for free. All this using your wifi or separately purchased US data. I've used TextNow for several trips and seems to work good....did I mention it's Free.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

You do not need to change your PM SIM. Just leave it at home (Canada), pay subscription (or suspend PM account up to 90 days) and get USA SIM.

If you want friends to call you at your PM number you would have to purchase US add-on which sometimes works sometimes does not.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@futureSEALthe only way to achieve this will take money and effort . You would need to port you PM number out to another carrier . Then create a whole new PM account and port it back in on esim as a new activations otherwise . Your best to get eSIM in the US or get a dual physical SIM card phone 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@futureSEAL  Sorry you can’t at this time . eSIM is only for new activations . Hopefully soon existing customers will have the option 

Need Help? Let's chat.