cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping SIM

rudavil
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, 

I would like to swap my SIM card to an old Nokia flip phone but it's asking for a restriction code? 

Please advise,

Rodolfo

12 REPLIES 12

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

rudavil: Several people have been wanting to know the actual model. If it's found that it's an old GSM only phone then all this effort is pointless. Rogers themselves intend to shut down their old GSM like what's going to happen with 3G here in a few years. So even keeping an old GSM phone on Rogers will become obsolete.

So what's that model?

@rudavil wrote:

I didn't consider that at all so thanks, let's wait and see. once the phone is unlocked and if it still doesn't work per above,I will call it a day.  

Which model is it?  Compatibility information about specific models can be looked up.

rudavil

I didn't consider that at all so thanks, let's wait and see. once the phone is unlocked and if it still doesn't work per above,I will call it a day.  

@rudavil wrote:

Chatr

If this Nokia flip phone is old, there's a chance that unlocking it won't help because this could be a 2g/GSM-only device that won't work on any of other Canadian carrier.

rudavil

Chatr

JL9
Mayor / Maire

By law in Canada they have to give you the code now, but if it is International you may be out of luck

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @rudavil which carrier was the phone originally purchased from?  You have to ask the unlock code from that carrier

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Never mind. A quick search says the Nokia is locked. You'll need to figure out the previous provider and get them to unlock it. If all in Canada. If not then you have a harder nut to crack.

rudavil

Stop. Enter restriction code

rudavil

exactly

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

What happens if you put the sim in yet another phone or the one that it was previously in? If nothing pops up then it's the Nokia. If a code request pops up then it's the sim.

Can you give us the exact message the Nokia is giving.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

You mean you are putting PM SIM into old Nokia and it complains?
It could be Nokia is locked.

Need Help? Let's chat.