cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for new phone?

Ab555642
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey everyone,

My Blackberry Z30 is about to die (center screen just detached from the phone) and am looking for an Android replacement. What do you folks suggest as the best Android?

In my book, the best Android must have the following 3 things:

1) Amazing battery life

2) Robust (i.e. the center screen won't detach from the phone!)

3) Fast software and easy to use.

Thanks in advance!

31 REPLIES 31

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jimbobs wrote:

@ckl wrote:

@jimbobs wrote:

You missed the point entirely but didn't let that get in the way of your political ideology.  My point, to repeat, was that data is already compromised by the O/S and by the Google apps on any Android phone, as well as the many other apps that people commonly use.  Worrying about the corporate identity of the hardware manufacturer is very, very low on the list especially when they already have hardware in the network on which that phone will operate.

What political ideology did I try to convey to you in my previous post?

The issue with Huawei is that of jurisdiction.

If you want to keep defending Huawei, then go for it. I just gave warning of the issues of owning a chinese branded phone. Even the Huawei exec, Meng Wanzhou, does not even use Huawei phones, but an iPad and iPhone. So that just tells you the confidence they have in their own products.

If you think Huawei is just purely a hardware manufacturer, then this conversation is over as you have no idea what you're talking about. They can, and have, added their own customizations and software to the OS of the products they sell.

https://www.cbronline.com/news/huawei-vulnerability

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mate-20-pro/how-to/guide-remove-huawei-bloatware-noob-t3889426

So yes, they develop software, and yes, they collect information on you... whether that information is identifiable or not is important because the point I'm trying to make is that they can be forced to change it to collect identifiable information and hand it over to authorities when requested: https://www.businessinsider.com/how-china-is-watching-its-citizens-in-a-modern-surveillance-state-20...

Google does not sell information that contains personally identifable information:

https://safety.google/privacy/ads-and-data/

The governments of Canada and the United States have their own privacy laws that are easily accessible online.

On the other hand, Chinese law indicates:

"Article 16 authorizes security officials to make inquiries (xunwen; 询问) of any individuals as part of their intelligence-gathering, and to examine their reference materials and files. These officials can also commandeer the communications equipment, transportation, buildings, and other facilities of individuals as well as organizations and government organs (Article 17)."

https://www.lawfareblog.com/beijings-new-national-intelligence-law-defense-offense

So, yes, Huawei can be compelled by the chinese government to hand over it's 5g equipment, firmware, encryption keys, software, and any data it holds on it's customers to authorities when requested. That is the jurisdiction in which Huawei operates under.

So your point is that the Chinese government MIGHT try to gather information about people using Huawei phones while I know, for sure, that the US government IS listening in on calls and gathering data on citizens of most western countries.  

Regarding data collection, it is far easier to collect data through apps that it is through the OS.  Somewhere, I have a image showing the data collected by popular social media apps.  There is not much personal information that is left uncaptured by those.

Agreed - I get that China might be able to get at the data on my phone.... but I'm pretty sure that it would be 1000x easier for them to get at me via an app.

Also, I am fairly confident that the U.S. or Canadian (via the U.S.) governments could get at my phone if things went crazy rogue and they wanted my info.

Check out your tracked locations on Google or IOS - a very detailed story of your life can be drawn out just from that data.... the same data that many other apps collect from you.

When I say detailed story it's very easy to figure out:

Your family

Your friends

What you like to eat

Where you work

Hobbies

If you live a healthy, active lifestyle

What you drive

Your religion

etc... etc... it's all on a map.

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ckl wrote:

@jimbobs wrote:

You missed the point entirely but didn't let that get in the way of your political ideology.  My point, to repeat, was that data is already compromised by the O/S and by the Google apps on any Android phone, as well as the many other apps that people commonly use.  Worrying about the corporate identity of the hardware manufacturer is very, very low on the list especially when they already have hardware in the network on which that phone will operate.

If you want to keep defending Huawei, then go for it. I just gave warning of the issues of owning a chinese branded phone. Even the Huawei exec, Meng Wanzhou, does not even use Huawei phones, but an iPad and iPhone. So that just tells you the confidence they have in their own products.

If you think Huawei is just purely a hardware manufacturer, then this conversation is over as you have no idea what you're talking about. They can, and have, added their own customizations and software to the OS of the products they sell.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mate-20-pro/how-to/guide-remove-huawei-bloatware-noob-t3889426

So yes, they develop software, and yes, they collect information on you... whether that information is identifiable or not is important because the point I'm trying to make is that they can be forced to change it to collect identifiable information and hand it over to authorities when requested: https://www.businessinsider.com/how-china-is-watching-its-citizens-in-a-modern-surveillance-state-20...

Google does not sell information that contains personally identifable information:

The governments of Canada and the United States have their own privacy laws that are easily accessible online.

"Article 16 authorizes security officials to make inquiries (xunwen; 询问) of any individuals as part of their intelligence-gathering, and to examine their reference materials and files. These officials can also commandeer the communications equipment, transportation, buildings, and other facilities of individuals as well as organizations and government organs (Article 17)."

https://www.lawfareblog.com/beijings-new-national-intelligence-law-defense-offense

So, yes, Huawei can be compelled by the chinese government to hand over it's 5g equipment, firmware, encryption keys, software, and any data it holds on it's customers to authorities when requested. That is the jurisdiction in which Huawei operates under.

So your point is that the Chinese government MIGHT try to gather information about people using Huawei phones while I know, for sure, that the US government IS listening in on calls and gathering data on citizens of most western countries.  

Regarding data collection, it is far easier to collect data through apps that it is through the OS.  Somewhere, I have a image showing the data collected by popular social media apps.  There is not much personal information that is left uncaptured by those.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@jimbobs wrote:

jimbobs

@ckl wrote:

@jimbobs wrote:

All this gossip about Huawei is, quite frankly, rubbish.  If you have concerns about privacy, your concern should be with Google, the owners of Android or with Apple.  They are the companies that are grabbing your data as well as the developers of the apps running on those phones.  Worrying about the hardware manufacturer is pretty low on the list.

It's not rubbish. It's a valid concern. The difference between Huawei and Google is jurisdiction. Google operates under US law whereas Huawei operates under Chinese law. ....

gdesmoulins
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a Motorola Moto E 2nd generation. I have carried it in my backpack while hiking for weeks on end. I have dropped it a few times. Seems quite robust to me.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@jimbobs wrote:

All this gossip about Huawei is, quite frankly, rubbish.  If you have concerns about privacy, your concern should be with Google, the owners of Android or with Apple.  They are the companies that are grabbing your data as well as the developers of the apps running on those phones.  Worrying about the hardware manufacturer is pretty low on the list.

It's not rubbish. It's a valid concern. The difference between Huawei and Google is jurisdiction. Google operates under US law whereas Huawei operates under Chinese law. As you are probably aware, the Chinese operate under a dictatorship with a president who has recently made himself "president for life." We might as well call him Emperor Xi because the last time a Chinese leader did this was back in 1912 or so. Huawei, while operating with good intentions, can be forced to compromise their equipment and/or software when demanded by the Chinese government. In the US at least, Apple and/or Google can fight this in court whereas in China, the courts do the bidding of the government. Just look at the fiasco with that Canadian who got a life sentence for drug smuggling then tried to appeal and got a death sentence instead when news broke that the Huawei exec got arrested in Canada.

There is a reason that Whatsapp, Signal, Hangouts, Skype, iMessages, etc. all do not work across the Great Firewall of China but WeChat does. That's because WeChat uses a very weak encryption scheme that the Chinese authorities can bypass (or they have given the "keys to the kingdom"). It's pretty obvious for their reasons for wanting to bypass encryption.

While the US is not innocent in terms of bulk data collection and spying, I trust them more than I do the Chinese because the US has more robust laws that protect individual rights and freedoms.

Since most phones are made in China, if the OP wants to buy a phone, I would suggest getting one that is from a company that is headquartered outside of China and thus, not under Chinese influence.

On a final note, even if you do not care about your privacy (as you think you have nothing to hide), please keep in mind of the fact that whomever you are in contact with on your phone, either through messaging, social media, or contact information, compromises their privacy as well.

jimbobs

@TheOldVR wrote:

Their sales numbers are crazy, imagine if they had real access to the U.S. market!!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/368509/revenue-of-huawei-by-region/

I suspect this is one of the reasons there is so much engineered controversy about Huawei.  Imagine the damage they's do to Apple and Google sales.  Have you seen their laptops? They are also very attractive and well priced. 

jimbobs

Seems to me that the things that distinquish phones these days are principly price, size and quality of camera.  Most of the other features are pretty standard (+ or -).  In my opinion, the best review site for smartphones with emphasis on their cameras is: https://www.dxomark.com/category/smartphone-reviews/

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ab555642 where did you go?  It's been about a week and we haven't heard back from you with more details on your ask.  Please, help us help you.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

TheOldVR

Agreed - we already live with their network equipment... and it's not like Bell or Telus are going to swap all of that out any time soon.

Besides - I hear that their stuff is actually very good which is why they are winning deals, they are not just cheap.

Happy Wednesday!!!

Edit....

Their sales numbers are crazy, imagine if they had real access to the U.S. market!!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/368509/revenue-of-huawei-by-region/

jimbobs

The controversy about Huawei in the media is about their involvement in 5G network hardware.  Bell and Telus both use their network hardware already.  Public Mobile runs on those networks already. So, it's a bit too late to worry about that.

porkchopbread

High end, I’d 2nd the recommendation on the Pixel phone. great camera. 

Mid range - the Asus zenfone is ok. My wife is using it. Think she has zenfone 3. Nice design but specs are mid range. Option for using dual SIM

Hippuru
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I highly recommend OnePlus phones. My partner and I are both still on the OnePlus 3 from years ago and it's running as smooth as ever. The battery life is fantastic too, along with dash charging (full charge in 30 minutes).

Last year I convinced my sister to also get the latest OnePlus and she's been having zero issues with it as well. Just a great, reliable phone all around, though you'll have to pay the upfront cost of it.

JackQuint

@TheOldVR wrote:

I hear you about the concerns on Huawei... just not sure that the world's second(or third?) largest cell phone seller would risk their entire business by sharing my data with the Chinese government.

Besides - half the other tech in my house has Chinese components which are linked to the Internet somehow. Also, pretty much every app we download collects a ton of data about us.

Either way - peeps need to go with what makes them feel comfortable....

On the other hand - I would actually love to try a new BlackBerry but I'm pretty sure that the new phones will never live up to the love that I had for my BlackBerry Bold.

I am not sure about Huawei, but I do agree that we've all compromised our data privacy a long time ago.

As for BB, I've heard nothing but great things about the user experience on the new phones, especially the Key2 and really positive comments about the keyboard experience. Bold? Maybe not, but compelling product nonetheless. Two things that were dealbreakers for me were: no wireless charging and a so-so camera. But, that was when they were still at flagship prices, and now you can get some pretty good deals on them. Worth it for the OP to look at.

TheOldVR

@JackQuint wrote:

I love my Pixel 3. Fantastic phone and awesome camera, but battery life is so-so at best and that's a criteria of yours so it's not a suggestion.

I see lots of love for Huawei, but there is a lot of smoke around their business ethics and the degree to which they might be committing state sponsored espionage. While I am not a fear mongerer or conspiracy theorist ... why take a chance and/or why support a company that might be involved in that type of activity? It's not just the US that's identified the concern, but most other G8 countries as well.

For battery life, the current Blackberry line is almost impossible to beat. They are also highly secure phones with excellent software and good secruity update practices. They are not bleeding edge hardware phones, but have a lot going for them.

I hear you about the concerns on Huawei... just not sure that the world's second(or third?) largest cell phone seller would risk their entire business by sharing my data with the Chinese government.

Besides - half the other tech in my house has Chinese components which are linked to the Internet somehow. Also, pretty much every app we download collects a ton of data about us.

Either way - peeps need to go with what makes them feel comfortable....

On the other hand - I would actually love to try a new BlackBerry but I'm pretty sure that the new phones will never live up to the love that I had for my BlackBerry Bold.

JackQuint

I love my Pixel 3. Fantastic phone and awesome camera, but battery life is so-so at best and that's a criteria of yours so it's not a suggestion.

I see lots of love for Huawei, but there is a lot of smoke around their business ethics and the degree to which they might be committing state sponsored espionage. While I am not a fear mongerer or conspiracy theorist ... why take a chance and/or why support a company that might be involved in that type of activity? It's not just the US that's identified the concern, but most other G8 countries as well.

For battery life, the current Blackberry line is almost impossible to beat. They are also highly secure phones with excellent software and good secruity update practices. They are not bleeding edge hardware phones, but have a lot going for them.

TheOldVR

Not sure what your budget is but the Huawei P20 and P20 Pro phones are getting a pretty good discount right now and I personally really like them.

Alternatively, the Samsung A8 is surprisingly good for a non-flagship phone. It's quick and the camera is pretty good.

I believe others have mentioned the other common options... but dat P20 Pro man.... <Drueling>

What's the budget?

CellGirl

@srlawren wrote:

@CellGirl wrote:

@Ab555642 

If you are OK with spending several hundred, you should buy the Blackberry Key2  🙂

@CellGirl took you long enough!  Robot LOL

Sure would love to hear more from @Ab555642.  Maybe they went on a nice long vacation with their phone purchasing money and are relaxing on a tropical beach as I type this....

@srlawren  haha!  I should sell my devices and do the same (^_^)

srlawren

@CellGirl wrote:

@Ab555642 

If you are OK with spending several hundred, you should buy the Blackberry Key2  🙂

@CellGirl took you long enough!  Robot LOL

Sure would love to hear more from @Ab555642.  Maybe they went on a nice long vacation with their phone purchasing money and are relaxing on a tropical beach as I type this....

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CellGirl

@Ab555642 

srlawren

@Pizzaeh wrote:

@Ab555642 , did someone say good battery life?  How about...this.  The great thing about it is, it doubles as a brick, in case you find yourself being mugged.  Practice at home, with real bricks, they're cheaper.

@Pizzaeh the ony problem is that durability was also requested, and the Energizer phone has a motorized pop-up selfie-camera, which is likely to result in durability issues longer term (and apparently @Ab555642 tends to use phones for some time, based on usage of a Z30 still in 2019).

@Triguy wrote:

OnePlus  has near stock Android and gets frequent OS updates after Pixels.  A new model is supposed to released in a few months.  If you can wait, you might be able to get last year's model on sale.  The Pixels are rated highly but they are considered top of the line phones so cost is comparable to iPhones.  The Motorola g series phones are considered budget phones but offer great value with near stock Android.  The g5 is supposed to have better battery life then the 6.

@Pizzaeh I thought about suggesting OnePlus as I'm a huge fan (first OP3, now OP5T, soon OP7 I believe); however, compared to the newer Huawei flagships and S10 Plus, the OP6T battery life is only "good" and not "great".  And of course there are the niche models like the aforementioned Dogee S80 and Energizer phones.  Blu also make a few models with around a 5000mAH battery, I believe.  I'm sure there's others from lesser-known brands.

@Ab555642 we're still waiting to hear more about what you're looking for.  Right now we're all taking wide guesses and need more info.  

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

OnePlus  has near stock Android and gets frequent OS updates after Pixels.  A new model is supposed to released in a few months.  If you can wait, you might be able to get last year's model on sale.  The Pixels are rated highly but they are considered top of the line phones so cost is comparable to iPhones.  The Motorola g series phones are considered budget phones but offer great value with near stock Android.  The g5 is supposed to have better battery life then the 6.

jimbobs

I use a Samsung A5 which was the last "free" phone from my previous provider.  Another family member also uses the same model.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Samsung S models but it is compact enough for pants/shirt pocket, has very good battery life (up to 2 days with my usage) and is pretty robust.  It has fallen a few times but looks almost new.  Costco were selling them unlocked a few weeks back.

Pizzaeh

@Ab555642 , did someone say good battery life?  How about...this.  The great thing about it is, it doubles as a brick, in case you find yourself being mugged.  Practice at home, with real bricks, they're cheaper.

@Ab555642 wrote:

Hey everyone,

My Blackberry Z30 is about to die (center screen just detached from the phone) and am looking for an Android replacement. What do you folks suggest as the best Android?

1) Amazing battery life

Thanks in advance!

I was joking about the size of this device, and I was talking the other Oracles about the Dogee S80.  It's very rugged, and fantastic battery life.   Unfotunately, I suspect that the processor in it may be a let-down for some.  The other problem with the Dogee s80 is the nearly 1 lb weight.

When you say robust, I immediately think of IP ratings and mil specs when it comes to ruggedness and water reistance.  Depending on what your expectations are, something like a Samsung Xcover4 might do the trick, although the CPU in it is rather entry level.  I believe that device goes for about $200 new these days.

Costco has been offering the Moto G6 Play for around $220.   It's no speed demon, but it does have "splash" resistance, although it cannot be submerged in water.

All of the models that I've mentioned should have reasonably good battery life.

srlawren

@Ab555642 wrote:

1) Amazing battery life

@Ab555642 Huawei Mate 20 Pro, P20 Pro, P30 Pro, and Samsung Galaxy S10+ all have great battery life but are very expensive.  What's your budget?

For robustness--let's be fair:  the Z30 was released in September of 2013, meaning it's now about 5-5.5 years old. It's pretty hard to fault a model for developing an issue after that length of time.  Build quality on modern devices is generally quite good.  Check out the Jerry Rig Everything youtube channel for durability tests, if that's a concern:  https://www.youtube.com/user/JerryRigEverything

Software-wise, it's hard to beat either pure stock Android (Pixel device), or near Stock: OnePlus are probably the fastest and most fluid non-Google OS providers on the market today, but even the latest One UI from Samsung has taken leaps forward, Motorola uses a very close to stock OS, and there are others.

You may need to help us narrow this down more with your budget, size preferences, brand preferences (or dislikes), is photography super important to you or you just need an "it's okay" camera for most everyday stuff, etc.  More input please!

MMack

Look for refurbished versions of last years models, like LG or Samsung to get the best value.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Ab555642 wrote:

Hey everyone,

1) Amazing battery life

Thanks in advance!

Unless you've already made up your mind...have a look at refurb'd smartphones available at BestBuy on-line. Looks like starting pricepoint is $130 and goes up from there for an android. I got a refurb'd phone from them and am quite satisfied, but my selection wasn't android. Happy I didn't have to pay several hundred bux, is all. This is merely a suggestion so good luck whatever you do.

MMack

Here are some important factors to consider when choosing a phone.

- Connectivity Will the phone work on Public Mobiles Network. You will need a phone that has support for 3G bands B2-1900Mhz and B5-850Mhz. LTE Band 4 is the main band for Data.

- Performance What type of performance do you need. The SoC plays a huge part in the performance of many parts of the phone. You will want a phone that can handle modern apps, as well be future proof. Most modern Android smartphones are powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon Chipsets. On the premium end you will find the Snapdragon 845 or 855. These are top-of-the line performers. Cheaper phone will have chips like Snapdragon 636 or 660. These are mid-tier chips and still offer great performance. Try to get the best chip for the money you are buying. To check the performance there are many benchmarks such as Antutu or Gekkbench that lists phone performance.

- Screen Display Premium Smartphones have much better screens in them. If you can afford it, look for a phone with an AMOLED screen. These offer much vibrant colors and deeper blacks. Cheaper phones will have lower resolution and inferior display properties such as ghosting and light bleed.

You can spend anywhere between $100-$1500 on a smartphone, you will usually find the best deals on models that are from last year or earlier. Chinese phones have come up in quality significantly over the years and offer much better value. If you know how to customize the software phone or you can deal with the chinese based software then these are definately the best value.

Best value for premium phones right now is the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s at 430$CAD. (I ordered one)

Or you could find a refurbished Samsung S7 or S8 on Amazon for a good price if chinese phones arn't your thing.

MMack

@Ab555642 wrote:

Hey everyone,

1) Amazing battery life

Thanks in advance!

The great thing about Android is that they have many different models to choose in many different price points. Depending on your budget you should most definately find a suitable phone for your needs.

Here are some important factors to consider when choosing a phone.

• Will the phone work on Public Mobiles Network. You will need a phone that has support for 3G bands B2-1900Mhz and B5-850Mhz. LTE Band 4 is the main band for Data.
  • What type of performance do you need. The SoC plays a huge part in the performance of many parts of the phone. You will want a phone that can handle modern apps, as well be future proof. Most modern Android smartphones are powered by Qualcomm Snapdragon Chipsets. On the premium end you will find the Snapdragon 845 or 855. These are top-of-the line performers. Cheaper phone will have chips like Snapdragon 636 or 660. These are mid-tier chips and still offer great performance. Try to get the best chip for the money you are buying. To check the performance there are many benchmarks such as Antutu or Gekkbench that lists phone performance.
  • Screen Display. Premium Smartphones have much better screens in them. If you can afford it, look for a phone with an AMOLED screen. These offer much vibrant colors and deeper blacks. Cheaper phones will have lower resolution and inferior display properties such as ghosting and light bleed. 

You can spend anywhere between $100-$1500 on a smartphone, you will usually find the best deals on models that are from last year or earlier. Chinese phones have come up in quality significantly over the years and offer much better value. If you know how to customize the software phone or you can deal with the chinese based software then these are definately the best value.

Best value for premium phones right now is the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s at 430$CAD. (I ordered one)

Need Help? Let's chat.