cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strength of signal

Mamabilley
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

How can I improve cell signal at my house? The maximum signal I receive in my house is 2 bars, however most of the house doesn't allow me to get any signal.  If I want to get a signal I have to go to the upper park of my back yard or I have to go to the road.  Would a cellular booster help?

12 REPLIES 12

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

Just wondered if you received it yet? any luck at all?

Ive been playing around with my signals and discovery apps a bit more, curious if theyve added any lte towers in my area, but its the same 2 or even 1 bar. which is really bad if eventually thats the only choice for service once wcdma quits

doesnt help at all that im ground floor and next to another building. 

i also still dont understand why wcdma is so much stronger if that and lte are coming from the same tower? wish i understood how this all works better...

I hope our resident expert on cellular radio stuff  @sheytoon  can shine some light on this .. 

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Mamabilley wrote:

I'm on a budget at the moment so, I'm going to give the antenna booster you stick to your phone directly. I've ordered the newest one. 

Just wondered if you received it yet? any luck at all?

Ive been playing around with my signals and discovery apps a bit more, curious if theyve added any lte towers in my area, but its the same 2 or even 1 bar. which is really bad if eventually thats the only choice for service once wcdma quits

doesnt help at all that im ground floor and next to another building. 

i also still dont understand why wcdma is so much stronger if that and lte are coming from the same tower? wish i understood how this all works better...

@Mamabilley 

those stickers don't work... in fact they actually make your signal worse.

if you're on a budget I suggest downloading textnow. you can pick a free number and have free calls and texts over wifi or mobile data. just simply forward your public mobile number to that textnow number while you're at home. if you have a home phone you can also forward your number to that as well

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Commenting mostly to follow your situation. I ended up trying a booster, about a hundred bucks... But I found more often than not, maybe because I couldn't actually mount the antenna on the roof (ground level in apartment) or maybe I had a faulty unit, but I couldn't keep it getting high signal. The device would drop out and then my phone would default back to the actual towers nearby. So I returned it

When I keep my phone in wcdma only it is better. But i more worry about the future, especially if what I read is true about wcdma stopping into 2026, which isn't all that far away and I've no intention to move. Lte only I get 2 or even 1 bar sometimes. Maybe 3 if near a window but not enough to be reliable. If that becomes the only way, and they don't do any work to strengthen LTE in my area I may be screwed!

But I think I get LTE from the same towers as wcdma, but I'm not sure on the nature of them both, maybe wcdma is naturally stronger? 🤷 or maybe LTE will get stronger after wcdma truly is no more, "freeing up" some of the air? No idea....

But yeah definitely curious! 

Mamabilley

I'm on a budget at the moment so, I'm going to give the antenna booster you stick to your phone directly. I've ordered the newest one. 

Mamabilley

There are two booster tower about 2 blocks away from our house and one is pointing to the direction of our house. 

@Mamabilley 

hi I suggest purchasing a cellphone booster off Amazon. 

search for "cell phone booster" and look for solidRF. they have a booster for $175 which has bands 2 & 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mamabilley 

visit to Coverage Map Here .

or Here 

and check it out is enough Towers Map in your area...

which city are you live !

Mamabilley

We had the same issue with Telus as well but at least they had Wi-Fi calling. Unfortunately, with the hard times we're experiencing at the moment we we had to find a more reasonably priced phone plan.

Mamabilley

My mom and myself have a Samsung Galaxy S8, my husband has a Sony Xperia Z2, and our oldest son has a  Samsung cover. We all have the same issue. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mamabilley 

can you try it selecting the network to "3G ONLY"

for iPhone visit Here 

or Here 

for android visit Here ,

if you still not working do one thing Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

and do rebooting your phone take your SIM card out and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back and turn on -This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

what device you have ! and all member family the same issue !

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mamabilley 

that issue with your area..

Need Help? Let's chat.