cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stollen phone, claim requires information from Public Mobile

dskrenes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My new phone was recently stollen. I am currently submitting this claim to my bank. My bank is requiring the following things, which I do not know how to retrieve from my Public Mobile account, and hoping these can be emailed to me please: 

1. Proof of activation or registration of your mobile device with a Canadian cell service provider. Public Mobile, I purchased this phone earlier this year, and inserted my previous SIM card in this new phone on May 14, 2021. Can you please send me any records you have regarding registration of my old SIM In a new phone (new IMBE), please? 
2. The date and time you notified your wireless service provider of loss or theft. Public Mobile, please email this information to me, since they are requesting this record. I did this around the first or second week of November 2021. 
3. Proof of phone blacklisted with IMEI number. Public mobile, please email this to me. 

9 REPLIES 9

@Jb456 

Pm has a record of the IMEI's that have been used on the account and when the current one was added. They also have a record of when you suspend and resume your service via lost/stolen along with the sim card numbers and when they have been swapped out. Along with when they blacklisted the phone by the OP's request.

My greater worry is the insurance exclusions.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dskrenes 

It is probably best for you to make this request thru private messaging. You can also use screenshots of your private messaging with pm when you made the original request to blacklist your phone. You must still have your original bill of sale that pm emailed you.

You will also have a record of your email 2FA verification when you performed your most recent sim swap or private messaging if a CSA did it for you. Your daily usage history will at least show when you unsuspended via lost/stolen after sim swapping for your current phone. These will all help bolster your claim along with the records pm can provide.

I am curious about your banks additional device protection insurance. My banks visa avion card has what sounds like a similar coverage but it has one huge caveat.....the phone has to be brand new, factory sealed, original owner new to be covered....all of pm's phones are CPO so for my insurance at least a phone purchased from pm is not covered by their device protection plan.

Here's how to private message customer support. Expect an initial reply within an hour or less.

Spoiler

Send a private message...   Contact the CSA's (formerly moderators) by sending a private message and leave a detailed message explaining your issue and the info to verify your account by including the following information:  

1. Full name and address on pm account. ( Or province and postal code for newer accounts.)
  2. Email, phone # and pin #.

If  you cannot remember your pin # include at least three ( if they apply)of the following:

1.  Date of birth (n/a on newer accounts.)
  2. Last payment, date, amount, type and last 4 digits.
  3. Alternate phone number if any.
  4. Security question and answer.
  5. Plan amount, any add ons or promos on account.
  6. Last 4 digits of sim card.
  7. Any rewards in your account.
  8. Autopay y/n?
  9. Account #.
  10. Frequently called/texted phone numbers in the last 30 days.  

The average wait time is 2 to 4 hours but be prepared to wait up to 48 hours for non urgent requests. Current wait times are about one hour and are probably even less as I have had some very quick responses in tne past week.

Keep an eye on your private message box the envelope icon next to your avatar for a little number to pop indicating a message from the CSA's (formerly moderators.) Responding promptly will speed up service times.

Do not post any of this info in the community only in your private messages when communicating or contacting the CSA/Moderator_Team.

To send a private message to the CSA's (formerly moderators) click below
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@Jb456   PM should have a record from the system of the last phone's IMEI connected to the network..  This would be a proof that the phone was registered/used on this network.  Of course, how much help PM support willing to give would be a different topic

@dskrenes 

Sorry to say but I THINK you're out of luck. Public Mobile is a prepaid service that is bring your own device. There's really no record of what device you're (or anyone) is using. 

It's not like a postpaid service. For example my Koodo account. Has the phone registered to the account (which I am actually using on Public Mobile and have another phone using Koodo).. If I lost the phone I would have to call Koodo and since they have a record of said phone they would blacklist it or I could through my account. 

However Public Mobile does not hold any record's on what phone you're using. (Maybe you're very first phone when you actually activated if you used the IMEI method to activate). But that is only if you transferred a number from another provider and entered your IMEI of that phone which you don't even need to as you can use old account number.

Anyways Public Mobile really has no record or proof whatever phone was stolen. Maybe in their background logs who knows. But I don't think it would help with insurance since this is in fact a prepaid service with bring your own device. 

All you can do if a phone was lost or stolen is block the sim card and then buy a new sim card, add the new sim to your account and pop it in another phone. Then go blacklist the phone yourself.

Do you knock have find my device, find my phone on your stolen phone to track where it is?

@dskrenes   the police /insurance report need you to report stolen with PM but you need to click that Lost/Stolen.  You cannot just tell them it was stolen.... 

to contact PM, it is all online:

1. For faster response (2-48 hours), Click on the bubble in the lower right to request CS Agent assistance, or use this direct link: https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click "Contact Us", click "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket". Then follow to complete the ticket submission.

2. Or you can Send a private message to the CS Agent here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right, after ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply and work with you  via messaging there

@dskrenes wrote:

Hi, 

I do not want to do this through My Services, as it will suspend my current account. I have an active account with a new phone and do NOT want to suspend anything right now. 

However, I need these proof emails/documents for the account I suspended early/mid November. 

How do I contact PM for this? Please provide me with their contact information. 

Thank you for your help! Appreciate you taking the time. 

@dskrenes  - you have a few issues going on lately, sorry to hear all this.

EDITED:

Others have posted methods to contact Public Mobile Representatives already.

Note - they are also called CSAs (Customer Support Agents)

See also, same methods, in Public  Mobile help articles here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/contact-a-moderator

dskrenes
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, 

I do not want to do this through My Services, as it will suspend my current account. I have an active account with a new phone and do NOT want to suspend anything right now. 

However, I need these proof emails/documents for the account I suspended early/mid November. 

How do I contact PM for this? Please provide me with their contact information. 

Thank you for your help! Appreciate you taking the time. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If your Phone is lost or stolen, you can Suspend your service if you’d like to prevent any calls or messages from being sent or received. Doing so will not keep your plan from expiring; however, it will ensure that your credit card is not charged at your next renewal date if you’re on AutoPay.Just follow these steps:

1. Log into your Self-Serve account
  2. Go to Plan and Add-Ons > Lost/Stolen Phone
  3. Select Suspend Service

Note that after 90 days in suspend, your account will be deactivated permanently so be sure to return to this page if you find your phone or decide to get a new SIM card.

Here’s when and how to contact our Customer Support Agents:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to our Agents. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to our Agents by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@dskrenes wrote:

My new phone was recently stollen. I am currently submitting this claim to my bank. My bank is requiring the following things, which I do not know how to retrieve from my Public Mobile account, and hoping these can be emailed to me please: 

1. Proof of activation or registration of your mobile device with a Canadian cell service provider. Public Mobile, I purchased this phone earlier this year, and inserted my previous SIM card in this new phone on May 14, 2021. Can you please send me any records you have regarding registration of my old SIM In a new phone (new IMBE), please? 
2. The date and time you notified your wireless service provider of loss or theft. Public Mobile, please email this information to me, since they are requesting this record. I did this around the first or second week of November 2021. 
3. Proof of phone blacklisted with IMEI number. Public mobile, please email this to me. 

1. With the proof of registration/activation, and the IMEI, you will probably need PM support to provide you 

2. Go to My Account and click Lost/Stolen.  Once done, PM Support can message you and confirm the date/time they receive  that

3.   You would probably need PM to blacklist for you

So, at least do #2 first and then open ticket with PM:

1. For faster response (2-48 hours), Click on the bubble in the lower right to request CS Agent assistance, or use this direct link: https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click "Contact Us", click "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket". Then follow to complete the ticket submission.

2. Or you can Send a private message to the CS Agent here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right, after ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply and work with you  via messaging there

Need Help? Let's chat.