cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stolen phone

Nour5
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

This is Nour! My phone is stolen today, I would like to cancel my SIM card and keep the same number for another one

21 REPLIES 21

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless they also got in to your account and bought add-ons. Not likely. Seems rather unlikely someone would go to all that trouble. They want the phone. They need some other local service to use it.

Really highly unlikely somebody would pay for stolen SIM services. They might use Current services as much as possible, exhaust data, make long calls, etc. but to pay for add-ons??? just to dumb to do.

As most suggested, as long as you have access to your account, change password, report stolen stuff.

They wanted hardware. I do not know how Apple hardware can be completely cleaned up and restored to factory default AND later reused as 'new' phone but Android is easy to make to 'new' phone stage.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nour5 : It's simply impossible. Having the SIM in a phone and on and not in airplane mode will do nothing when not in Canada or the US. The only way any of your service features would get used is if the SIM was taken to Canada or the US and turned on in a phone and not in airplane mode. And in the US, it can only receive texts and maybe receive calls. No data. Unless they also got in to your account and bought add-ons. Not likely. Seems rather unlikely someone would go to all that trouble. They want the phone. They need some other local service to use it.

Nour5

I hope so, thank you

let's hope everything will be resolved and see you back in Canada soon  🙂

Nour5

Hi, 

Thank u so much for your suuporting! I am in Germany , we got police report and we will go to canadian embassy tomorrow it is closed now but the bad luck my flight is tomorrow. I will pray to get my staff quickly.

@Nour5 

I am very sorry for your troubles but the last thing you have to worry about is your pm service. There are no overages, extra billing or hidden fees. The thief cannot run up your bill unless he pays for it first!

When you can access another device sign into your google or Apple account and periodically check to see if your phone has connected to wifi. Once you know airplane mode has been toggled off you can  lockout/erase your data from your phone.

What city are you in that this has happened? Do you have any helping you? Have you been able to file a police report? Do you need the help of the Canadian Embassy? Or somewhere for a cheap replacement phone? 

Nour5

I hope that, but if he turn on data that will cost much money. All my bag is stolen 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nour5 : ....particularly when the SIM, in a phone outside of Canada, is useless.

Maybe this is another use for a voip app. So someone steals your phone (or "finds" it). If it was in Canada (or US) then you would Suspend service. But after that and elsewhere you could communicate with the "new owner" through the app when they turn on wifi or put in different service and turn on data.

But for all I know, "new owners" would promptly wipe everything off the phone doing a factory reset anyway.

But maybe an honest one would be like "oh, a phone, hey I wonder if I could find the owner".

@Nour5 wrote:

Maybe he can make flight mood off and that will cost too much and I have to pay after 

There are no pay-per-use chages at Public Mobile. 

Nour5

Maybe he can make flight mood off and that will cost too much and I have to pay after 

Understand your phone is on Flight mode and cannot be remotely wipe.   But, if it is an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy, you might be able to block it from future activation .   

If it is a Samsung Galaxy and you have set a Reactivation Lock on the device before.

If it is an iPhone, this should be enabled automatically if you have enabled Find My iPhone.

@Anonymous 

The blacklist only works within national boundaries.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nour5 : Bummer². You probably don't really need to worry about lost/stolen then. Unless someone brings the SIM to Canada. I wonder how one can put a device on a blacklist. However that might work internationally

@Nour5 

Bummer. Voicemail should still work though.

Nour5

Thank you for suggesting but I am outside Canada, I put flight mood for my cell phone. 

@Nour5 

Bummer. Do you have find my phone enabled? Try calling it maybe you will luck out and a good Samaritan will find it. Send yourself a text with a contact number in case the finder wants to return it and the last text can be read from a locked screen.

While suspended via lost/stolen your voicemail remains active. Simply call your number from another phone. Press "*" when it connects and enter your 4 digit voicemail pin #.

When you suspend your account service via lost/stolen your rewards will not apply upon renewal. After payment is made contact customer support and ask the CSA to apply your rewards manually.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nour5 : Then did you try the Forgot your password? link?

Nour5

The problem is I forgot the password for loggin self account.

@Nour5 wrote:

My phone is stolen today, I would like to cancel my SIM card and keep the same number for another one

For now, log into your Self Serve account by going to https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca

After logging in,  click on Plans and Add Ons and then go to Lost/Stolen Phone to disable your stolen SIM card.  Afte you've purchase a replacement SIM card, you can use your Self Serve account to switch to the new one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nour5 : Log in to your self-serve account and click Plan & Add-ons tab and click Lost/stolen and Suspend your account.

Then at your leisure, acquire another SIM and then come back and use the Change SIM function and the Resume service under Lost/stolen. If your current 30 day term passes then you'll need to pay up.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Nour5 wrote:

Hi,

This is Nour! My phone is stolen today, I would like to cancel my SIM card and keep the same number for another one

Go into self service and put your account in lost/stolen mode. When you get a new card just go into self service and choose Change Sim Card. No need to open a new account.

Need Help? Let's chat.