cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Test Results Everyone?

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if everyone can share their speed test results for their area. 

It would be nice if you can please include name of your city, area within the city and time of the test. 

A screen shot of the test would be nice. 

Please don't include your address or any personal information. 

Thank you. 

44 REPLIES 44

@hardywang wrote:

hopetindall wrote: 

Steve also has a web site with maps for Ontario showing locations of all the cell sites

http://arcxsites.myvnc.com

Accoding to this web site there is no tower outside GTA. I also did some search some found several sites, the result was interesting since I live in London

The purpose of that site is not to show a complete list of known tower locations.  That site is mainly used to provide an apporiximation of site locations by using customer provided data. This way, it helps customers find potentially new towers and the estimated coverage area of those towers.  If no one has ran the program in a particular area, no towers will show up on the map. 

hardywang
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

hopetindall wrote: 

Steve also has a web site with maps for Ontario showing locations of all the cell sites

Accoding to this web site there is no tower outside GTA. I also did some search some found several sites, the result was interesting since I live in London

hopetindall
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@hardywang wrote:

How do you guys find out where are the nearby towers?

There are a couple of Web sites and tools that use Industry Canada information to map cell sites.

For Ontario - I use LTE Widget that was written by a friend of mine, Steve Punter.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pcability.LTEWidget

hardywang

How do you guys find out where are the nearby towers?

fireapple

These tests were done at my home in Calgary near the intersection of Old Banff Coach Road SW and Coach Hill Road SW using a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 connected to PM LTE. There are cell antennas mounted on three condo buildings about 750m from where I live. As you can see, the speedtest results were much nicer when on the Telus server (first screencap) than on the Shaw one (second pic), which isn't all that surprising considering PM's ownership. 

Screenshot_2016-12-28-02-14-30-115_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.png

Screenshot_2016-12-28-02-15-07-457_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.png

Screenshot_2016-12-28-02-15-36-524_cellmapper.net.cellmapper.png

hopetindall

Here are two speed tests .

First phone - Galaxy Note 4

Second phone - OnePlus 3

Closest PM Cell sites are both about 1 to 1.5 km away from me.

One cell site is at the Sobey's Plaza at 10th Line and Thomas in Mississauga.

One cell site is on a tower on 8th Line North of Britannia [just west of 407 and Britannia]

Usually both phones use the 10th Line and Thomas LTE site (which is a smidgen closer to where I tested) - but for whatever reason the Galaxy Note 4 decided to use the 8th Line site today. Speeds were comparable.

First Phone - Galaxy Note 4

2016-12-28-02-35-41-Screenshot.png2016-12-28-02-36-31-Screenshot.png

Second Phone - OnePlus 3

2016-12-28-02-37-19-Screenshot.png2016-12-28-02-38-01-Screenshot.png

Veder
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

19.5MB is the average download per speed test

ute1978
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes, speed tests eat up a lot of data. At the time of the $40-promo I was smirking when all new customers proudly posted their multiple speed tests on the RFD forum and then complained that they used so much data out of their plan.

Veder
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In Toronto, Yonge Eglinton and I get 30MPS

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@ajanda Thank you:)

ajanda

City: Toronto, Ontario

Area: Kipling & Eglinton 

Time: 12:15am 

I can do a peak time test as well. IMG_0150.PNG

@Mana wrote:

I am just trying to help some friends join PM and the most common question I get is the actual average  data speed in different cities (not the advertised). That's why I asked for help. 

If it's going to eat up someone's data then please ignore my request. 

Thank you. 

I don't think you would be helpful by providing unscientific data and setting incorrect expectations.  It is sufficient to tell them the service works.  The network is the same as any Bellus service.  Although not officially reported as such, there appears to be a bit of QoS applied to Public Mobile.  Bell customers seem to get a bit better priority than PM customers in the GTA.  It is only slightly noticeable sometimes.  Generally, there is no major impact on typical usage such as loading a web page.  There is my unscientific qualitative speed test feedback.

I am just trying to help some friends join PM and the most common question I get is the actual average  data speed in different cities (not the advertised). That's why I asked for help. 

If it's going to eat up someone's data then please ignore my request. 

Thank you. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Apart from wasting data, what is the point of doing random speed tests?  We all know that even connected to the same tower at a fixed location can yield highly variable results. 

Need Help? Let's chat.