cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speakout vs PM

doughnutmaster
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there:

I am considering switching from 7-11 speakout to PM, and wanted to see if anyone could share any of the downsides if any once they made the switch. From reading the community, here is what I have found so far:

Pros:

Plan loyalty/community/auto-pay bonus

250MB of data is bundled into the $15 plan (with autopay), while speakout charges $10/100MB plus an overage charge of 0.10/MB. ( I dont use data frequently, but its nice to have when there is no wifi, or it doesn't work)

online call log/better online account management

Great community of support 🙂

can roam to the US, even though it is only 10 day packages

EDIT: no $1.25 monthly 911 fee, but I presume it is bundled into plan pricing.

Cons:

no live support ( but as many have said, how often have you needed to call support?)

no "pay as you go" prices

Speakout has a 365 day expiry, while PM is on a 30 day plan cycle

I already have a sim card on the way from Canadian Cell Supplies, so I am just waiting for a promotion to come by before I dive in.

Happy to hear any more pros/cons people have found when moving from speakout to PM.

Thanks!

35 REPLIES 35

musicollector
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Even though I used data judiciously, consistently during my recent India trip, i ended up using the entire 2 GB that I got every day!

@musicollector- Even if there was a non-expiring promo, would you use it? Hey look at me I have a $50 plan with 10+.5+2 gigs of data. Hey look at me, month after month I seem to only use 750 megs of it. hmmm.

musicollector

Yes, indeed. As I have wifi at home and a land line, my calling will be limited to emergency calls and data to do the odd search or use the Google maps. So, thinking back to why I even wanted to go to the $25 plan - I draw a blank. LOL.

@musicollector   $15 is a good deal for low usage users.  You can use the $10 difference per cycle  to buy minute add-on buy extra minute or data  if you just need extra occasionally 

musicollector

Thanks very much. I agree.
No, after thinking about it, I simply decided to stick with the $15 plan as there is no benefit in going to the $25 one if I don't get a bonus that does not expire. I hate to sound cheap for a handful of dollars, but it is the principle. 🙂

@musicollector- It is my opinion alone. It is YMMV. I think it's the right and proper thing to do. But this company isn't always interested in doing the right and proper thing.

Did you start in to the $25 plan with a promo? I'm not clear whether you've signed up yet. The current promo is $35 and up anyway. Don't forget to use a referral code to get a $10 credit.

musicollector

"Where do you feel contempt? For the old $10 plan holders definitely. It's just that the $15 plan never gets any promos for activating."

I hear ya. My words were chosen in haste.

"if the plan stays at or above the threshold"
Oh, so that settles it! I was going to go down from $25 to $15 after a while if I found that I was not using all the features.

@musicollector- Where do you feel contempt? For the old $10 plan holders definitely. It's just that the $15 plan never gets any promos for activating.

The $15 plan is excellent for low usage customers. All the texting you want. A little bit of data. And with the $5 500 minute add-on, feel comfortable using the phone. Buy data add-ons if you have to.

Adding - some say otherwise but it's my belief that the data would stay if the plan stays at or above the threshold. It only makes sense from a business perspective. You start on the $35 plan. You get your promo 2gb. You know, I think I could go for the $50 plan and call the US and lots of data. The company gets more money. The customer gets the plan they want. The promo should stay. Start on the $70 plan? Well the threshold was $35. Turns out that with the 2gb, I could get by with a total of 5gb. The customer is staying above the threshold. The promo should stay. It's only fair.

musicollector

It is a gamble, a crap shoot. I just am not in the mood to play Russian Roulette with PM. It seems some have lost the data on downgrade and some haven't. What gives?

musicollector

If that is the case, I am settling on the $15 plan. Thank you for helping me make a decision. It looks as if they treat the $15 plan holders with some contempt.

@musicollector- The context of your quote from 2 years ago had to do with the free month credit. In recent promos, there could be a risk of losing the data depending on the promo if you go down past the threshold of the promo.

But other promos didn't have that risk. I opened an account on a promo of 5gb at $25. Promptly changed it down after I got the data. The data stayed. (lol still working on it due to all the freebies along the way).

Enjoy your dividend boost on the forced plan change/price hike of the old $10 plan that was forced on to those long loyal customers.

musicollector

"...Dont forget public mobile is owned by telus"

I love it already as I am a bigtime TELUS shareholder. 🙂

But, would you lose any bonus offers if you downgrade?

@musicollector   if it is PM, yes, bonus offer will be gone if you downgrade your plan

musicollector

:"...I switched to lower price after the 1st cycle. ".
But, would you lose any bonus offers if you downgrade?

@doughnutmaster   you wait and see for two year and now you lost the rewards program and the $2 Autopay discount

You wait longer, maybe you will loss more.

Get a good deal, jump on.  When you see another good deal later, jum off  and keep jumping for deals.  There is no need for loyalty when porting is so easily done these days.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Add ons don’t expire until fully used up. Lots of LD options and services while in USA. 

Occasional freebies. 

Additional data when you sign up for auto-pay. 

doughnutmaster

Just circling back on this topic, and my interest is now less given the change in the rewards program, so I'm back in the waiting game for a good promo ( it appears PM hasn't done a $x off for y months in a long time which is what I am waiting for) , and /or an account up for grabs with the old rewards program.

musicollector

"I like to keep the $100 in my pocket and pay $15 every 30 days instead of locked in with Speakout until I used up the $100. I like the possibility to leave a provider if I find a better deal or service elsewhere."

I am with Speakout currently. Have been contemplating moving to PM, but am wondering if I should because I pay $25 for 71 minutes with Speakout, which lasts a year. The odd time I use it for emergency and family only keeps my balance going up to an year. I have topped back to $25 maybe, twice a year in the past. I do my surfing on my computers at home on wifi and for most phone usage, I use our landline for which I am paying like $5 a month for unlimited usage. So, I wonder if paying even $15 a month when I hardly use it is worth it.

But, I do have a question. At what point do you get your service completely free?

doughnutmaster

everyone has been very helpful, so now its just a waiting game for a new promo.

and lol, who would turn down a delicious doughnut?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@doughnutmaster 

Although PM does not have a call center, all PM support are don on this forum.  You just have experienced how PM support system works.

If you have any questions or issues after activation, you can post your question.  Within minutes, you will get your answer.  The trick is to stay at this forum to supply more info if asked.  If it is not account access related issue, we can get your issue resolved quickly. 

Only moderator can access your account, we will recommend you to create a support ticket if we determine that your problem can only be solved by moderator to access your account.

doughnutmaster

I don't use it that often for calls, I do use it for incoming 2FA and promotional texts which are free anyways, but it does suck to pay 0.15 just to respond YES to confirm a subscription.

My rationale for considering the switch is that I have the $10/100MB data plan for the occasional need, but now for $3 more, I can get more features.

popping

@doughnutmaster wrote:

Thank you everyone for your insights!

@poppingI honestly don't talk that much, its mainly incoming 2FA texts and promo texts, which are free anyways.

I do have their $10/100MB data plan, so hence why I'm considering PM since for an extra $3 I can get free incoming calls, unlimited texting, and 150MB more data.

Good thinking  You can easily spend extra $3 for at Speakout using the pay-per-use call minutes + texts. With PM, you will not go over $13 every 30 days.

If you use a refer-a-friend code, you get $10 one time credit within 72 hours after activation to offset the cost of your PM SIM card.

@doughnutmaster 

I hope we've been helpful for you while you consider your options.....waiting for a promotion while you deplete your account balance with speakout is wise but keep in mind promotions are often for plans priced $25+ or $35+ only (although they do happen for the $15 plan occasionally.) Bonus referral credit promotions do apply to any plan if that occurs soon. Its also common to have a your next 30 days free (2nd month) promotion for plans $25+/$35+ that many take advantage of and then schedule a plan change to the $15 plan on your next renewal. Although you pay a little more up front they work out to about $8 a month for your first 4 months of service plus you get the extra data and calling for that first 30 days.

Dont forget public mobile is owned by telus so you get the great canada wide coverage and reliability of the bell/telus network. Data is 4G LTE throttled to 3mbps or you can choose 3G only for higher but variable speeds up to 20mbps +.

And i should mention the cons......autopay can fail leaving you without service until you manually top up and reactivate. Many of us just top up manually a day or two before renewal to avoid this possibility. Thats also a good time to check on your account to make sure its correct and take a couple of screenshots for your records.

Other glitches can creep up to cause the odd account issue like your data doesnt reset or your rewards didnt apply. They are easily fixed by the moderators. Sometimes you get calling messages like..... you dont have a long distance add on (Just dial 1 first or connect after you listen to the message.) If you experience something like this just pose your question to the community to resolve your issue.

Calling or texting issues try rebooting your phone or putting it in airplane mode to achieve a better connection. Using the lost/stolen feature in your account helps reprovision your sim card for troubleshooting problems or forcing your account to take a payment from your account balance after suspension.

Its also handy if you actually lose/misplace or have your phone stolen. It should also be used immediately if you suspect a fraudulent port of your number or pm texts you asking if you are porting (and you are not!) This can prevent it from happening if you are quick enough. Then message the moderators.  

It can also be used just before renewal to suspend your account for holidays out of country so you dont have to pay for your service for up to 90 days (your account cancels and deactivates on day 90 so unsuspending around day 85 is recommended.) Suspension can also be achieved by removing autopay as long as you dont have a balance that covers your plan amount.

Curiously do you just like doughnuts? Or do you make a mean doughnut? Maybe you and @coffee should meet up.....you'd make a good pair.... Lol!.... Enjoy the rest of your day!

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @doughnutmaster 

How much do you use the phone? We had grandma on 711 and since she couldn't use up $50 in a year we didn't touch it. Once she moved and started using more than 20 minutes it was logical to move her to the old $10 plan and she's still on it. With loyalty autopay and one referral she's paying $5 now. She got an add-on before they had 500 for $5, she used about 40 minutes out of 200 (costed $8). So she's saving money

Another friend moved to 15 plan from 711 and is saving money as well, her usage is much higher but sporadic. She uses fongo to turn it into unlimited

The good thing about pm that all those minutes don't expire after 365 days. Add-ons stay on your account forever.

Danchvn

@doughnutmaster 

I have used both. SpeakOut was great for me when I just needed something for a few calls and the odd text but no needed no data. I loved the 365 day expiry. Since then I have moved and am now texting and calling much more as well as using data so it made sense for me to switch but I didn't want to pay premium prices. That and the fact that the Rogers network, which SpeakOut uses (at least used to use), doesn't have as great a coverage in my current area it made it more worthwhile to go with Public Mobile. I have been with Public Mobile for a few months now with no service problems at all and will soon be be porting my wife's number over as well. The very knowledgeable community here is really great at assisting with issues that may crop up and though there is no call in service support, the moderators seem to be able to solve any issues the regular users cannot. That being said, Public Mobile may not be for the odd person who does not have a little patience to wait for that assistance. 

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@doughnutmaster It really depends on your usage. I have both Speakout and PM. I use both for work and personal use. I don't use data that much. I bought 200MB last year that I have not used up yet. Add-on data will be cheaper in PM and 200MB is now $5. 

I have my plan started when it has the first 30 days free. I switched to lower price after the 1st cycle. I think you can keep your Speakout for $25 without any plan. If you find PM doesn't work out as you want, you don't need to switch back and forth. 

doughnutmaster

Thank you everyone for your insights!

@poppingI honestly don't talk that much, its mainly incoming 2FA texts and promo texts, which are free anyways.

I do have their $10/100MB data plan, so hence why I'm considering PM since for an extra $3 I can get free incoming calls, unlimited texting, and 150MB more data.

@doughnutmaster 

Having not used speakout myself but it is often suggested for the very low usage customer to be a cheaper overall plan. But one month/period of time of crisis and pay per use charges can wreak havoc on an yearly averaged priced plan.

Rewards are fantastic a $15 plan immediately becomes $13 with autopay and will eventually reduce $1 per year/max $5 with loyalty making it $8 with no effort at all. Keeping up to date, learning how public mobile works, account management and contributing each month can fairly easily net another $1 or $2 community reward. After you discover how great public mobile can be im sure youll have a few friends or family members youll refer for another $1 each off per month in referral rewards. The $15 plan can easily become the $0 plan within one year. I have two accounts when my loyalty kicks in next month they will both be $0.....free!

Its very easy to schedule a plan change on your next renewal if you find  you need more data or in the case of the $15 plan ....more outgoing calling. But unless you need to talk on your dime (penny really) more than 1100 minutes per month (30 day cycle) then just adding the $5/500 minute calling add on backs up the $15 plan in case you exceed your 100 outgoing plan minutes.

All add ons (except the US roaming add ons) to your account  ROLL OVER every month until completely used so you can safely add these to compliment your plan. The data add ons were recently reduced in price to $5/200mb and $15/1gb so these can be used to supplement plan data if necessary without breaking the bank and can be useful "on the road" to use fongo, whatsapp, textnow or other online calling/texting apps ( for free long distance outside of Canada, checking your voicemail without using minutes etc...) Even the international (18 countries) calling  add on at $15/400 min is very reasonable at less than $0.04 per minute.

Customer support is all online but the community can solve 90% of all issues very quickly  and moderator wait times have generally been reduced to about 2 hours. If given sufficient information to begin with account issues can be dealt with immediately often before you respond to their initial contact with you thru your private message box. Public mobile employees are very friendly and accommodating  if you make a mistake. From the top all the way down to the new trainee moderators they listen to the customers needs and wants and do their best to implement our requests from account issues to new plan pricing and community changes.

On top of the rewards program they also regularily run contests ( Hey @Catherine_T  were overdue for a good contest and another flash sale/promo would be great too!) for 1gb data add ons, amazon gift cards and even a year of service (once last year!)  They also treat the regular customers to bonuses once or twice a year.....last christmas they gave away a 1gb data add on and the 400min international calling add on during the more than merrier campaign and a 1gb data add on as a customer appreciation bonus last August . They also offer a refer a friend bonus credits for the referrer a few times a year offering $10, $20 and as high as $25 referral bonus credit for you or both you and your friend that can help out paying for your plan if you are a good enough salesperson to your friends and family. 

BTW....if you dont have a friend to refer you for the $10 referral credit just private message any member and they will happily give you their referral code! Welcome to the community and hopefully soon to public mobile!

popping

@doughnutmaster 

It depends on your usage.  

My break-even analysis

7-11 Speakout cost per month:

Fixed monthly charge $1.25

$15 - $1.25 = $13.75/m will buy you 46 minutes at $0.3/min

With PM $2 off on autopay, your break-even usage is

$13 - $1.25 = 11.75/m will buy you 40 minutes.

PM $15 plan will get you. ($13 with autopay enabled)

- 100 outgoing minutes 

- Unlimited incoming minutes

- Unlimited internation text + MMS

- 250MB data with autopay enable

- no overage charge.  But add-on is cheap and no expiry date.

It is very clear that your will save at PM if you use more than 40 to 46 minutes per 30 days.  Do you calculation taking the SMS/MMS messages into account.  

If you used all your 100 outgoing minutes, you can buy $5 500 minutes add-on at 1 cent per minute. The add-on minute does not expired until you used them up.  Unused minutes will be roll-over to next cycle.

PM is a pure prepaid service provider without pay-per-use charge.  Therefore, PM plan is for kids as there is no overage charge after your kid used all the 100 outgoing minutes.  Speakout 365 day expiry does not mean a thing to kids.  They will continue to use until the account is out of fund in a month or may be in 2 - 3 months that parents have not control  on the usage. 

I like to keep the $100 in my pocket and pay $15 every 30 days instead of locked in with Speakout until I used up the $100. I like the possibility to leave a provider if I find a better deal or service elsewhere.

Read my post on how I port my Speakout number to PM in 4 hours.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Porting-number-from-Speakout-Apply-al...

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@doughnutmaster Due to rewards program and give aways, PM is way better in the long run.😉

Need Help? Let's chat.