cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam call to report or block

sck1975
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Today I've gotten over 30 spam phone calls. Is there any way to report these calls? Also because they spoof the numbers is there an recourse?

9 REPLIES 9

@HALIMACS ah yeah I like your idea of letting it ring through as long as possible (using max 5/6 rings / 30 seconds). I wonder if/how many robo/junk calls will wait that long - I've never tested/monitored that.

It works for me,  @Nezgar 

In 30+ years, on the various numbers I've held or helped others with, spammers are non-existent, or extremely short lived on the very rare occasion they pop up. (quite honestly I can only think of a few 'campaigns'  in the last 30+ years)

My advice would not be to push the caller through to voicemail (by declining), but just let it ring and they may not even go through to voicemail if you have 5/6+ rings set. 

@HALIMACS wrote:

IF YOU DO ANSWER, and the caller is a spammer, it's likely your number will get logged as one which will get answered, so anticipate spam calling to increase (at least in the short term)

I think this is ineffective advice as declining, blocking, or letting the call go to voicemail will also register the call as "answered" to the robocallers system as the voicemail system answers...

Youmail is a great option IMHO (I use it myself) as @darkomega suggested.

darkomega
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

An app called YouMail effectively blocks spam calls, and you get the added free visual voicemail to boot.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@sck1975 

Sadly, there are no PM options to avoid this, other than changing your number which you can do four times per cycle.

NEVER answer any calls from numbers/people you either don't recognize or are not on your contact list.  It can be difficult to ignore a call, but you will get used to it.  

If the person calling you needs you that badly, they will leave a voice message; if they don't bother leaving one, you likely didn't need to hear from them in the first place.

IF YOU DO ANSWER, and the caller is a spammer, it's likely your number will get logged as one which will get answered, so anticipate spam calling to increase (at least in the short term)

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Nothing much you can do 😞

If you block spoofed number, it might be legitimate number which might call you for real next time.

You can try option 'Caller ID and spam protection' (Android) on your phone but I would not hold my breath it will do the right thing - block spammers...

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sck1975 

ignore and delete and block,
or if you have new number you can try to change,

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@sck1975 wrote:

Today I've gotten over 30 spam phone calls. Is there any way to report these calls? Also because they spoof the numbers is there an recourse?

PM does not have any service to block spam calls.  Other than asking you not to pickup calls you didn't expect, there is really not much we can suggest

Some device, like iPhone, has a way to forward calls not on the contact lists to voicemail.  See if that can at least help a bit

So, it is still using the Caller ID Spoofing trick?  I guess what Telus implement in Nov didnt work well.

Need Help? Let's chat.