cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Calls every hour from same area code, different number

EM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello Community, 

I'm getting Spam robo calls from different numbers, same area code, every hour for two days now (variants include: 705-811-****, 705-302-****, 705-566-****, etc...). Each hour it's a different number. I have downloaded Truecaller to block it from ringing, but the calls are now clogging up my voicemail. Does Public have any ability to block numbers from certain area codes from getting to my voicemail? Or even preventing them from ringing?

Help would be appreciated. Public Mobile really should allow some kind of option for this....

20 REPLIES 20

thanks @hairbag1  for clarifying. 

I was just confused especially the post was completely changed.  I thought I was dreaming.  I was glad I still have the windows opened and able to do a screenshot

@hTideGnow wrote:

@Anonymous   Sorry, I am still new here .  I just want to learn.   

I see you changed your original post.

You were the first one replying and suggested using 3G Only.   So, does changing to 3G Only helps to stop Spamming calls?  

This was your original post:

hTideGnow_0-1626125321811.png

Nope.

@Anonymous   Sorry, I am still new here .  I just want to learn.   

I see you changed your original post.

You were the first one replying and suggested using 3G Only.   So, does changing to 3G Only helps to stop Spamming calls?  

This was your original post:

hTideGnow_0-1626125321811.png

@Anonymous wrote:

can you try it selecting the network to "3G ONLY"

This can stop spamming calls?  Where you learn this from?

@EdN unfortunately, there is really nothing to stop this spamming calls.  Let's hope this die down eventually.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some Android versions are different, but for most versions you can go to Settings > Caller ID & Spam and switch on the feature. You should be aware that incoming and outgoing call data will be sent to Google. You can also block individual numbers by going to Phone > Recents and tapping on each spam number to Block and Report call as spam, which helps improve Google spam busting efforts.

visit HERE for more info

EdN
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Happening to me today, I just set my "do not disturb" option to allow favourites and contacts only.  Doesn't ring, just goes to voicemail

@gsamp58 wrote:

I have done that too, block them everytime they call.. but its just annoying your phone ringing and seeing its the same area code but different number, i registered my number few minutes ago to the Canada registry one, hope that helps eventually from getting calls.. 

@gsamp58  if you're not attached to your phone number Public Mobile allows you to change you number once per 30 days.

Screenshot_20191223_210328.jpg

@gsamp58 wrote:

I have done that too, block them everytime they call.. but its just annoying your phone ringing and seeing its the same area code but different number, i registered my number few minutes ago to the Canada registry one, hope that helps eventually from getting calls.. 

The national do no call list won't help if the companies doesn't care about the rules or if they're showing fake phone numbers on your call display. The argument has been used that some might even purchase the list of people that they're not supposed to call but actually do the opposite.

gsamp58

gsamp58

I have been getting that as well for past few days same area code but different number every hour.. throughout the day.. Its getting so annoying, i keep blocking the numbers.. 

The do not call list takes 30 days to go into effect. If you disable your voicemail leave a msgvtelling callers its a temporary  measure...you could aprise them of the situation.  Then once a month passes hopefully most of the spam calls will have subsided.

EM

Thank you so much for all the helpful solutions. I heard about the Call Screening by Google, and I'm just waiting for them allow non-Pixel users to enjoy it. This is the best solution I can think of. 

For the time being, I'm thinking about disabling my VM for a few weeks, and hoping it eventually stops. The Truecaller app at least allows me to silence or send the spammer directly to VM. I lodged a complaint with the CRTC about it. However, the new rules are only going to allow blocking of unusual numbers. The numbers I'm getting seem legit.

I think the best way to deal with it is for PM to please create a screening ability. For example, a user can screen all calls from a specific area code, and have them dropped. 

We also have these to look forward to. Coming soon...

CRTC orders telecoms to block customers’ incoming nuisance calls by December 2019

The CRTC is cracking down on pesky fake phone number calls

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/12/19/crtc-telecoms-block-customer-spam-calls-by-dec-2019/

Here's another one I like. It only works with Google Pixel phones for now.

But coming soon to an Android phone near you...
https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/03/14/google-call-screen-beta-test-canada/

@EM You may be able to find an app/workaround; for example

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@EM wrote:

Hi,

So my number has been on the Do Not Call list for 3 years now. I also use it a lot in lots of different places, so I prefer not to change in. I also need to use my voicemail....Not really sure what to do. 

I think I might have to disable my voicemail if Public Mobile doesn't have any other screening options.... It's really unfortunate. 

Spammers are nefarious for sure. Try following previous suggestion and disable voice mail for a couple of weeks. Maybe by then the calls will subside.

Good luck.

EM

Hi,

So my number has been on the Do Not Call list for 3 years now. I also use it a lot in lots of different places, so I prefer not to change in. I also need to use my voicemail....Not really sure what to do. 

I think I might have to disable my voicemail if Public Mobile doesn't have any other screening options.... It's really unfortunate. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@EM wrote:

Hello Community, 

I'm getting Spam robo calls from different numbers, same area code, every hour for two days now (variants include: 705-811-1671, 705-302-5463, 705-566-0341, etc...). Each hour it's a different number. I have downloaded Truecaller to block it from ringing, but the calls are now clogging up my voicemail. Does Public have any ability to block numbers from certain area codes from getting to my voicemail? Or even preventing them from ringing?

Help would be appreciated. Public Mobile really should allow some kind of option for this....

Are the spam calls just started?

Did you got your number from PM when you activate your PM account?

You can change your number once per 30 days online.

Select [Plan and Add-Ons]--> [Change Phone Number] --> [Select a new phone number]

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@EM wrote:

Hello Community, 

I'm getting Spam robo calls from different numbers, same area code, every hour for two days now (variants include: 705-811-1671, 705-302-5463, 705-566-0341, etc...). Each hour it's a different number. I have downloaded Truecaller to block it from ringing, but the calls are now clogging up my voicemail. Does Public have any ability to block numbers from certain area codes from getting to my voicemail? Or even preventing them from ringing?

You can disable your voicemail.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/add-an-extended-absence-greeting

Phone ringer off or on vibrate only might help too along with call blocking:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/call-display-and-call-blocking

And if you're not too attached to your phone number, you can request a number change via Self-serve

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/change-your-phone-number

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Register your number on the (Canada) National Do Not Call List and the (USA) National Do Not Call Registry to prevent compliant spammers (or their clients) from calling.  It doesn't work for everyone, and it doesn't stop non-compliant spammers but it's better than doing nothing.

And of course I immediately block the number.  If they keep calling with alternate numbers then I keep blocking those.

Need Help? Let's chat.