cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Calls - Possible to avoid filling voicemail?

Jaysp
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is there any way to auto hang-up or avoid spam calls overflowing voicemail? Is there any way to get through voicemails faster, i.e. stop hearing the whole number read out before each message? I have a Pixel 6 if that matters.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Terryscell
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

There is a tone which tells computers your phone line is disconnected. A person hearing it will likely ignore it as static.

It will stop some, but not all, "predictive dialling" calls, where a computer calls you and transfers to a live scammer when you answer.

It's on Wikipedia (the "Intercept tone"), or you could Google it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_information_tone

You need to record it at the start of your personal (not phone company) voice mail message.

Unfortunately, scammers are getting more sophisticated, and some can bypass it.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Jaysp 

You can download the Truecaller app to screen spam calls.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

See @Jaysp , Telus offers Call Control, not Public Mobile. I believe every Telco in Canada on every tier level should be offering this feature. This should be mandatory. File complaints with Public Mobile and advise them that Call Control should also be a feature on Public Mobile as well. Just my opinion. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Jaysp 

Pressing 1, then 1 after accessing voicemail works for me.

You can also set your device to ONLY receive calls from designated callers (contacts) from you preferred contact list.   This is entirely device-specific and takes a bit of digging as to how to utilize.

Alternatively, you can have callers avoid voicemail altogether this way.

Voicemail cannot be turned off or removed, however there is the following workaround to prevent callers from leaving messages:

• Call voicemail and log in with your PIN,
  • press 3 (manage greetings),
  • then 4 (manage extended absence greeting),
  • then 2 (record a new extended absence greeting) and record a message that indicates to your caller you are not accepting messages,
  • then press 4 to enable extended absence,
  • lastly, press 5 to disallow anyone from leaving you a message.  

@Jaysp wrote:

Is there any way to auto hang-up or avoid spam calls overflowing voicemail? Is there any way to get through voicemails faster, i.e. stop hearing the whole number read out before each message? I have a Pixel 6 if that matters.

Public Mobile doesn't provide any options for that.  There are apps in Play Store that will answer calls and hang up on specfic numbers but you might still hear your phone ring briefly.

Need Help? Let's chat.