cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow (don't stop) my data when I reach my cap

heymcfly_
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've noticed that at least one of PM's major competitors offers a very similar plan to the one I have now, with one key difference: the competitor's plan SLOWS data down (quite a lot, I believe down to 64 kbps, but good enough for instant messaging etc) instead of stopping data altogether. Why doesn't PM offer the same thing?

14 REPLIES 14

heymcfly_ , these threads have been merged.  Members often browse tbe different categories.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@heymcfly_ wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I don't bother with trying to convince a service provider to accommodate my needs.  

Why not? That's how you stimulate a competitive marketplace. And ultimately the customer always wins when there's more competition.

@heymcfly_ FYI what you're asking for actually amounts to less choice and IMHO less competition.  We see enough of the big 3 copying each other over and over, and their flanker brands do the same--just look at all the 'competitive respnose' promo plans we've seen here from PM over the past 6-12 months as an example.  They are matching whatever Chatr and Lucky do enough already; maybe the way it works here works better for some people than what you're asking for?  Maybe we want that choice?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@Elleey13 wrote:

You can try asking if they could match it.

@Elleey13 FYI, there is zero price matching or negotiation at Public Mobile.  This is a what-you-see-is-what-you-get-and-what-you-don't-see-is-what-you-don't-get kind of a provider.  The plans are what they are, take them or leave them.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Elleey13
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

You can try asking if they could match it.

mimmo

the does the competitor offer rewards like PM does?   Each brand has their strengths and weeknesses. 

your options are:

• pick the company that best suits your needs. 
  • pick a plan that with enough data so you dont run out
  • if you feel you are going to  run out then ask mods to renew your plan early
  • buy a data addon.

@heymcfly_ wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I don't bother with trying to convince a service provider to accommodate my needs.  

Why not? That's how you stimulate a competitive marketplace. And ultimately the customer always wins when there's more competition.

As I said, I respect retailers having their own freedom to come up with a business plan.  They can come up with services that target whatever segment of the market that they want.  I will gravitate to those that serve my needs/wants and choose from the available options.  I am not going to waste my time asking a provider why don't you sell me something that you don't offer but the store across the street does.  They are going to hold the front door open for me. 

Now if Public Mobile were to ask me what new offerings would you like to see, then that is totally different ball game.  Let me give you a snippit of history with this service.  There use to be a forum call labs where customers were encouraged to do stuff like this.  The labs forum was an overwhelming success and an equally overwhelming failure.  Customers were very keen of making great suggestions and the list of suggestions simply piled up.  I don't need to tell you the appetite for change here.  Labs has been retired for some time.  

@heymcfly_ wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@heymcfly_   PM doesn't work that way. If you want your data to continue to work you need to buy Arun add-on.

I know. That's why I asked the question.

@heymcfly_  You can ask but no one is listening.Smiley Happy

heymcfly_

@geopublic wrote:

@heymcfly_   PM doesn't work that way. If you want your data to continue to work you need to buy Arun add-on.

I know. That's why I asked the question.

@heymcfly_ wrote:
I've noticed that at least one of PM's major competitors offers a very similar plan to the one I have now, with one key difference: the competitor's plan SLOWS data down (quite a lot, I believe down to 64 kbps, but good enough for instant messaging etc) instead of stopping data altogether. Why doesn't PM offer the same thing?

@heymcfly_ , no need to ask the same question multiple times.  I already answered your question once.  

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

As mentioned in any other thread on the exact same topic - it's safe to assume that this has been discussed by the decision makers, and for one reason or another have decided against it.

Take Public Mobile for what it is, not for what you want it to be. And vote with your wallet - if you need that additional data at snail speed, go for it and get that other SIM. You might want to make sure that their network is actually usable where you are.

heymcfly_

@will13am wrote:

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@heymcfly_ , good question.  Not every carrier sells the same product.  My approach is always to buy the product that suits my needs the best.  I don't bother with trying to convince a service provider to accommodate my needs.  They sell to different segments of the market.  

heymcfly_
Need Help? Let's chat.