cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Size limit on picture texting?

leeminn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is there a size limit on photo texts? Some of my pix go through but some don't. I read something about a 200 KB limit but one of my pix was 209 KB and went through but another one was 192 KB and didn't make it. 

7 REPLIES 7

The limit is about 500KB. Although I've found through testing that if you send a .JPG picture through their email->MMS gateway, Public Mobile will resize a larger image for you as a courtesy to something 500KB or less. MMS supports more than just pictures... You can transfer other filetypes like .ZIP too. Maybe a handy way to get some other type of file to your phone without using up your data.

To send an email to MMS with a picture (or other binary filetype) the email address format is:

10digitnumber@mms.mb.telus.com

For a plain SMS message:

10digitnumber@msg.telus.com

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@leeminn 

I read up that different carriers have different file sizes. It can also depend on your device to some extent as well. Looking at the telus website it had this to say.

"File size limit, maximum number of attachments, picture quality, and video length can vary from one device to another. Usual limits for MMS are between 600 KB and 3.5 MB per photo and 600 KB or 15 seconds per video"

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@leeminn , MMS is limited by the protocol and version.  Images will be downsized to the limits of the MMS version, typically 300 kb.  It is likely buggy software that is preventing certain pictures from being sent.  Try force closing the texting app, deleting cache and restarting the phone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_Messaging_Service

@leeminn have you considered that since you can send larger sized mms messages to other people that the problem may lie with that person's phone and provider, not yours?

You could try a network reset and re enter your APN settings.  Stay safe. 

Reset Network Settings HUAWEI P10
  1. Turn on the mobile by pressing the Power key for a few seconds.
  2. In the second step choose Settings and Advanced settings.
  3. Now tap Backup & reset.
  4. Select Network Settings Reset.
  5. Finally go to Network Settings Reset, and confirm the whole operation tapping Network Settings Reset one more time.
  6. Success!

Restart your phone and use these APN settings And include The "default,supl,mms,dun" with no spaces APN type.

APN settings:
Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: Not set      - or - default,mms,supl   ( if your mobile hotspot is spotty add "dun")
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: Not set
MVNO value: Not set

Save, Restart again, enavle data and try sending the mms message again that failed.

leeminn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@mpcdesign Thanks for your input. I'm just talking about the native texting app that came with my Huawei P10 Lite, not an external texting app. I didn't have any similar problems with Koodo before I switched over last week. 

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@leeminn, Could it be your your phone or the app that you are using? If I can recall when I was using my iPhone, I was using Messenger, or Apple's texting app that gave me issues for sending large video files. But, once I swap out apps, or changed to Android, I have no issues.

This may be a question for the morning crew that comes on in a couple of hours. @gblackma is on in a couple of hours. Maybe he will know! 

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

It's not 200KB. I can send 1MB. Some phones can limit size automatically so that you don't have to edit photo.  It gets compressed.

Need Help? Let's chat.