cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simcard not working internationally

koile0
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Why is my simcard not working in Germany? There is no signal at all why?

19 REPLIES 19

@darlicious  that is a Rogers rate  😞  

@softech 

Geez....did telus raise their cap rate since I last checked? Talk about collusion! And people wonder why pm suddenly removed the $60 US/Canada Roaming plan with a mere 8 hours of notice!

@koile0 wrote:

This is not quite how it works. European sim cards will work everywhere in the world so you can at least receive messages ... Also not comparable to currencies !!

Not all European sim cards will work everywhere.  there are still different networks that choose not the provide Roaming.  

And it's a business decision to provide roaming or not.  Lucky Mobile SIM  does not work  "everywhere in the world"  other than Canada, no roaming at all.  PM choose to offer roaming for US only.    Why the choice?  Because roaming agreement is a cost to the business.  PM is a tier 3 provider and choose to provide the most basic service in order to cut the cost a bit and lower the price of the plan.

Roaming is convenient but costly.  Mobile cost is very low in European and it certainly smarter to buy local SIM to take advantage for the lower cost.  If you prefer to have easy roaming instead and no worry about the cost, look into going with Telus or Rogers, they have Roam like home product.  Again this is costly, $14/day for a maximum of 15 days ($210) per filling cycle. And you are paying $14 to use your own minute and data in your plan!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@koile0 : But it's how it works with our Canadian providers. I would question your assertion of "everywhere in the world".

You bought into a low-budget provider here. It is what it is.

koile0
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is not quite how it works. European sim cards will work everywhere in the world so you can at least receive messages ... Also not comparable to currencies !!

@Anonymous 

Ok I concede my poor choice of words....how about unwilling or with more money than sense or my company is picking up the tab? I myself would rather have a really good bottle of wine for everyday of my trip than the convenience of my phone number that doesn't really matter over there and since I call forwarded my pm number to my fongo number I can still recieve my incoming calling so yeah I'm good but with some smart spending I have the same quality of a holiday as someone who earns 5 times what I do.....as I like to say I can afford my champagne tastes on a beer budget!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@koile0   You will need Roaming capability there but PM does not offer roaming other than USA.

In Germany, get a local  Data SIM there, it is easy and cheap with enough data.

For calling back Canada, you might want to use a VoIP app like TextNow,  it works as long as you have Wifi or data.  You can get connected this way with the phone number you got from the app. 

If you need text for 2FA from banking or so, this is no way around that.  You will have to work with the site to change to other means of 2FA like email or Authenticator app

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

I think convenience is an awfully high price to pay those to lazy to go to the shops and get a local sim card.

Well...lazy?! The convenience you mention is that they can use their same number. No I certainly wouldn't justify those roaming costs in light of voip apps or local service...but some people would prefer to pay to keep using their number wherever they are.

@Yummy 

Almost all postpaid providers in Canada offer roaming in Europe. The average rate is $14 per day capped at $180 per month on top of your plan amount to access the features in your plan. Now seeing as you can get a local sim card with a 30 day plan and minimum 4gb+ of data and call and text for the price of one day of "Roam like Home" from Canadian providers I think convenience is an awfully high price to pay those to lazy to go to the shops and get a local sim card.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Yummy it is quite common for carriers to have international roaming agreements. That charges the user per day or 24 hour period of use.

Just for my knowledge: Are you aware of any Canadian provider having roaming agreement with any of Western Europe countries (I guess nobody cares for East) excluding England?

@koile0 

Unfortunately pm only offers roaming add ons for the US. If you are away for more than 30 days you can save on your plan costs by suspending your pm service for up to 89/90 days. However if is recommended that you pay and reactivate by day 85 in case you encounter any issues and need to contact customer support. If you dont pay by the 90th day your account will be cancelled and deactivated and your number lost.

You can also change your plan to the $15 plan if you are away for longer than 90 days and then suspend again after 30 days for up to 90 days. Note: if you have a grandfathered plan or promotional bonuses tied to your plan you cannot get them back if you change plans.

You can suspend by removing autopay or if you have a balance that is more than your plan amount then suspending via lost/stolen will prevent the system from using your balance and/or your autopay to pay and renew your plan. If you suspend via lost/stolen before midnight eastern on day 30 of your cycle you will retain active voicemail services. You will have to ask for any rewards you may have to be applied manually by a CSA after paying and reactivating your plan (after resuming service via lost/stolen) if you use this option.

Here are a couple articles on local sim cards in Germany. But if you will be travelling to a neighbouring country in the next few days you can likely get a much better sim card plan that will work in most of Europe due to EU roaming agreements. Happy travels and Stay--Safe!

https://toomanyadapters.com/buying-sim-card-germany/

https://www.traveltomtom.net/destinations/europe/germany/best-prepaid-german-sim-card-for-tourists

@Yummy it is quite common for carriers to have international roaming agreements. That charges the user per day or 24 hour period of use.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

PM is Canadian company. Why would you expect PM's SIM to work outside of Canada (North America)? Even in US it has limited service.

It will be as asking why German stores do not want to accept Canadian dollars...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@koile0 

anywhere has a Wi-Fi Free,

and use a app Textme or Talkatone, and you will getting new canadian number for Free from that app,

• Unlimited Call \ SMS \ MMS a Free USA/Canada.

Here link for app Talkatone.

Here link for app Text Me.

enjoy your trip..

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@koile0, as the others have stated PM does not offer roaming (if the add-on is purchased) outside of the US.  You will need to purchase a SIM and plan locally if you need cell phone service

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@koile0 

because at public mobile offer service only in canada and U.S. Roaming.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@koile0 

The PM SIM only works if you are making calls in Canada. Not if you are in Germany.

Go and get a local SIM in Germany at lower service cost.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@koile0 international calling abilities are only whilst you are in Canada (edit: with appropriate addons on account)

You require Roaming addons for services whilst you are in USA.

Sorry, no where else.

darkomega
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Because public mobile doesn't offer roaming outside of the US, you will need to buy a local providers sim card in Germany 

Need Help? Let's chat.