cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim not supported

Tim_oh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

hey folks, I know some of you see the subject and think just go and get the carrier to unlock the phone. however I have been using public for a while. I bought my daughter a plan as well, I had an iPhone XR she has iPhone 6s. I upgraded my Phone and gave her my XR. swapped the sims and now on her XR I get the sim not supported message. if I put her sim in my new phone it works but into my old XR just the error. any suggestions? my sim into the XR works 

10 REPLIES 10

HI @Tim_oh  where you bought it new from? can you find the original invoice?  I would open ticket with Apple and have Apple to confirm and help. 

Tim_oh

No I bought it new and have used it for years, worked last night. now I see its locked and spoke with apple and they told me it was locked to T mobile. I have escalated the issue with apple but looked at the unlocking websites and thought of using one of them but its weird how it got locked and never was 

@Tim_oh as expected, the phone was locked

did you buy the phone online? or did you buy from a Canadian provider before? If you got it via online via eBay or other marketplaces, the phone could be from some US provider and that's why it is locked there.  If you got the phone via online marketplace and never used T-Mobile before, it is hard to get it unlocked, sorry about that

Tim_oh

I just spoke to apple they said its locked to t mobile I'm in Canada we don't have t mobile

Tim_oh

the carrier lock show sim locked and below that carrier shows public mobile 57.0

@Tim_oh 

so, 'SIM not supported" was the correct error message and the phone really locked

So, at this moment, you put in your own sim card and the phone still not working?

yes, somehow your phone was locked again, it is weird but not unheard of.  Did you get the phone from Virgin? please contact the carrier where you got the phone from and arrange for unlock

Tim_oh

so I just erased the phone and general, about, carrier lock, sim locked. any suggestions? I was previously under virgin but I switched to public and my sim worked fine without asking virgin to unlock as it was a BYOD. my sim does not seem to be recognized now in the XR

@Tim_oh 

but did you cueck iPhone's About->Carrier Lock screen?  what does it say??

Tim_oh

I checked general, about and then down to carrier. it shows locked under sim but its public mobile to public mobile, I'm erasing the phone and check it again. I started the erase process prior to your suggestion of putting my card in the XR. thanks ill give it a try 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Tim_oh  Can you try your SIM card in the XR ? Does it work ? Is the xr IOS up to date 17.2 .1 ? Maybe update carrier settings to if it’s needed . And reset network settings and reboot the phone see if that helps at all . Otherwise you can ask support to refresh your account also 

send a  private message   To CS_Agents

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️Link below ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.