cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim # Not Working

JMKeller
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

After creating a Publicmobile account and going through the activation process, I put the public mobile sim card in my phone {the phone which a public mobile online worker confirmed to work with public mobile} The pin I created while making my account was entered into my phone after I put the sim card in and turned it on. The pin number did not work and I did not know that I only had three tries before network would block my pin, now it says I need to enter a sim network PUK.

What have I done wrong and how can this be fixed to start my old number transfer to my new phone on public mobile?

12 REPLIES 12

@JMKeller 

Or the providers account app....it won't be telus/koodo. So its either bell/virgin/lucky or rogers/fido/chatr wifh an outside chance of it being a regional provider like videotron, eastlink or Sasktel. You can also put one of their sims in from a friend to see if it works to identify the provider network.

@JMKeller 

There didn't happen to be a SIM card in the phone before you put the Public Mobile SIM card in, was there?

That would display the carrier information on it.

It's possible under your network settings there may still be a memory of the prior carrier listed - perhaps check there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

This isn't a security lock.  

I _did_ say it "sounds more like" the other. 🙂

JMKeller

Okay - I understand - it's the phone itself that's locked to the carrier. I will have to do some research, because I don't know which carrier this phone is locked to - although I can probably find out tomorrow. In the meantime, I will attempt to find the manufacturer's master. Thanks very much for taking the time to help, much appreciated.

@JMKeller wrote:

Fantastic. I will phone them directly. Do I still need to talk to a mod for a PUK?

As I was saying, Public Mobile cannot help you with this.  The SIM Network Unlock PUK is a master unlock code that only the old carrier (or device manfuactuer) can give you. A moderator will not be able to give you this code.  The SIM Network Unlock PIN is the actual unlock cdoe for you device.  Once again,  Public Mobile moderators cannot provide this code either.

JMKeller

Fantastic. I will phone them directly. Do I still need to talk to a mod for a PUK?

@JMKeller wrote:

Thanks very much for the input - what's the best course of action? (I'm a phone-noob.) Phone my old carrier, obviously, but what exactly do I want them to do?

*Ah - probably just ask them to unlock my phone...?

You need both the unlock code and the master unlock code. The old carrier is not allowed to charge you any fee for this, assming that the phone is locked to a Canadian carrier.  Also note that this isn't something that Public Mobile can help with.

JMKeller

Thanks very much for the input - what's the best course of action? (I'm a phone-noob.) Phone my old carrier, obviously, but what exactly do I want them to do?

*Ah - probably just ask them to unlock my phone...?

@Anonymous wrote:

@JMKeller : Had you once upon a time set up the SIM lock security feature on the phone? If so then that would be that PIN that you would have created then. If you've forgotten that then you'll need to contact the moderators to help you with that.

If not then it sounds more like the phone is still locked to the previous provider. If it's a Samsung then they can help you to unlock it. Otherwise the previous Canadian provider is legally required to give that to you. If you've brought the phone from elsewhere then you might need to pay one of those services to unlock it for you.

This isn't a security lock.

As @JMKeller phone was asking for a SIM Network Unlock PUK, this absolutely means that the phone is locked to another carrier.  

JMKeller

Great info, thanks. It's a 2nd-hand phone so I will have to go through the steps you outlined and hope something works. Cheers!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JMKeller : Had you once upon a time set up the SIM lock security feature on the phone? If so then that would be that PIN that you would have created then. If you've forgotten that then you'll need to contact the moderators to help you with that.

If not then it sounds more like the phone is still locked to the previous provider. If it's a Samsung then they can help you to unlock it. Otherwise the previous Canadian provider is legally required to give that to you. If you've brought the phone from elsewhere then you might need to pay one of those services to unlock it for you.

Need Help? Let's chat.