cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Card in Unlocked Tracfone

Windy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I live on the border and am using a tracfone, Moto e5 .. i can call canada and usa with it.  I am not on a canadian plan because i have no coverage at my house.  The usa verizon/at&t are across the river from me.  I just want something basic for when i am away from home and the border in Canada.  This phone is unlocked .. if I buy a sim and plan, can i just put the card in this same phone and use this usa number?  or no?  I wouldn't really use it much.  Tks

11 REPLIES 11

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Do you reside in Canada or USA?

Tahiti
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Windy

@softech  is precise that PM only provide u a Canadian # when u pay PM monthly fee.  In order to keep a USA#, u need to pay your Tracfone or any other US phone company.

Moto E series is build for everyday use (= good little phone and cheap), hence I really doubt if yours is a dual SIM phone.  Are u sure it is for 2 SIMs instead of 1 SIM slot + 1 SD card slot(tiny memory card that can store picture/etc)? (99% phones today has this 2 slots, dual SIM phone tends to be a lot more expensive)

Whenever u feel u have received answers to your questions, please kindly pick the answer u feel best.  There should be a "button" for u to pick Best Answer/Accept Solution.  This will "close" this thread and the person whose answer is selected/accepted will get extra points for Community Reward.  Your question in this forum also get point(s) for yourself, best of luck! (try to give BROVOs to replies u agree with also)

@Windy wrote:

If I could put the sim in as it it is dual and I maintain my tracfone number in the usa, would i be given a canadian number? or would they let me activate with a usa number?

@Windy   If yours is a dual SIM phone, then yes, you can activate a new PM account.  Please note that PM use physical SIM so make sure it has a slot for it.

PM will only provide you a Canadian number.  So, with the US number, you will have to keep your US tracfone

Windy

Thanks a lot for all of the feedback.  You guys are great.😊

Windy

If I could put the sim in as it it is dual and I maintain my tracfone number in the usa, would i be given a canadian number? or would they let me activate with a usa number?

Windy

Yes, dual sim .. wasn't sure if I could though.  The phone has one of those wee sim cards and there is a spot for the next size up sim .. that spot is empty.  My intent is to continue with the US tracfone for the rest of the year .. but was wondering if i could pop a public mobile sim card in it,  .. to use while out and about in Canada.  

Tahiti
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I believe u meant u are using Moto E5, service provider Tracfone/Verizon/AT&T with a US#.  If u want to keep your US#, u need to continue to use American phone service provider.

Although u have NO COVERAGE AT YOUR HOUSE, you can still use VOIP/WIFI phone with your home internet.  Fongo.com is free with a Canadian phone#.  VOIP.MS is dirt cheap.  U can continue to use these APPS outdoors with WIFI or mobile internet.

If u want a Canadian SIM+plan for something basic when u are away from home and the border in Canada:

1.  U will get a new CANADIAN phone#,  (u'll loss your US# if u discontinue with US phone company)

2.  "Plan" can be as cheap as $25/year from Seven-Eleven Speakout, or many companies offer $100/year prepaid. I chose Public $15- bonus/pts =$13/30 days, not the cheapest but much better value for me.

3.  I have a Moto E 2nd-Gen, worked with both Seven-Eleven and Public.  Your Moto E3 should have no problem.

4.  If u want both US + Canadian plans/#.  Moto E3 is not A dual-SIM phone, u will need to swop/switch the US/CAD SIMs whenever u want US/CAD #.

Hope this answer your questions, nice weekend!

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Windy   not sure if yours is a dual SIM phone.  But if you meant to put in SIM in your Moto phone , yes, you can do that and it will work.  

Prepaid is perfect for you. Activate and use it for the month, if you don't need it on the 2nd month, don't load the money.  Just make sure you reload again in 85 days and then you can keep the number.   

However, if you don't use it  for longer, don't pay.  Let the old plan suspend for 90 days and account closed.  When you need it again, get a new sim and get a new number and activate it again

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It says in the post, Motorola Moto E5.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Not the US phone number. What is the make and model of the phone?

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Do you mean you want to use a dual SIM mode? Or do you want to switch to a Canadian number? As long as the phone is unlocked, you can use it, just remember you may have to swap SIM cards all the time. The best bet is to buy a cheap secondary phone for Canada. You can find these in stores like Walmart.

Need Help? Let's chat.