cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal strength at home

clive49er
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We are both Public customers and have very low signal strength between -107 and -122 at our house at ground level (bungalow). We are missing phone calls some of which go directly to voice mail and some are lost forever. This has been happening occasionally for at least 6 months but recently is happening daily. Our neighbour is who is also a Public customer visited last week and her phone also showed very week signal (one bar). Her partners Virgin phone had 3 bars.

Crazy thing is the data speeds are sufficient to support Facetime when failing to put through phone calls.Cellmapper - TelusCellmapper - Telusertyu - telusertyu - telus

We have looked at cell tower maps and it seems that there are towers close to us (home is red X). Anyone have suggestions that would fix this so we can stay with Public?

11 REPLIES 11

clive49er

Hope 2022 is better for us all. Happy New Year!

clive49er

Thanks for the help and the education. It's great to no more!

Clive

@clive49er wrote:

Phones are: iphone 6 and LGE older phone and problems were the same on both and your solution corrected low signal levels on both.

Yes, if both iphone and LGE have issue, likely not the phone (iPhone always have good reception)

If it corrected the low signal issue with 3G Only, just leave it there for couple days and see if you have less dropped calls as well

Happy New Year

clive49er

Phones are: iphone 6 and LGE older phone and problems were the same on both and your solution corrected low signal levels on both.

@clive49er wrote:

Toggling airplane mode doesn't seem to change signal strength. Does it matter if I'm in 3G or LTE?

That data is LTE and voice 3G are you suggesting for regular voice use I leave the phone in 3G and for occasional data use like facetime I change to LTE? Almost all my data use is at home and over wifi.

@clive49er   I saw you picked a solution, I thought your issue was resolved.  If not resolved yet, kindly go back , click on the 3 dots and click "This is not the solution)

I suggest you leave it as 3G only for couple days.  Voice in PM only use 3G while Data can use 3G and LTE.  So, it is ok to leave it in 3G and have all your data using 3G as well.   Data on LTE is capped at 3Mbps while data on 3G could go as high as 12Mbps.  However, there is bigger latency for Data on 3G.    But if your 3G Only helps your voice issue , leave it as 3G.

Again, this is possible only an issue due to towers and location.  You see the issue is worst lately, it could only due to the fact that telecom are installing 5G in your area  and it could be just temporary and will be back to how it was after the installation is completed  (But , your area is not perfect reception before, so,if leave as 3G helps , maybe you should just leave it that way)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@clive49er : Data is usable on both.

Usually a phone sits idle on LTE. So when a call comes in (or you call out), the phone switches to 3G. Maybe there's a problem with that function. So setting to 3G tests whether it's a switching problem. There could also be network things going on.

You will find that 3G data is faster...just with some latency/lag.

clive49er

Toggling airplane mode doesn't seem to change signal strength. Does it matter if I'm in 3G or LTE?

That data is LTE and voice 3G are you suggesting for regular voice use I leave the phone in 3G and for occasional data use like facetime I change to LTE? Almost all my data use is at home and over wifi.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@clive49er wrote:

Crazy thing is the data speeds are sufficient to support Facetime when failing to put through phone calls.

@clive49er  because data is on LTE and voice is on 3G.   

Did you try changing the Network to 3G Only for couple days and see if that helps the voice?  Try that if not

Your Virgin friend should experience the same thing as Virgin uses Bell and Telus towers (in your case, only Telus towers around you).    The only possible variable here could be your phone.  What kind of phone do you have?  Model and brand?

@CountyDownIeUk   this is a Telus only area, no Bell towers , the closest Bell tower are either one  further west on West Hunt Clug Road around Hwy 416, and one a bit north east at Heron Road/Riverside drive

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@clive49er wrote:

We are both Public customers and have very low signal strength between -107 and -122 at our house at ground level (bungalow). We are missing phone calls some of which go directly to voice mail and some are lost forever. This has been happening occasionally for at least 6 months but recently is happening daily. Our neighbour is who is also a Public customer visited last week and her phone also showed very week signal (one bar). Her partners Virgin phone had 3 bars.

Crazy thing is the data speeds are sufficient to support Facetime when failing to put through phone calls.Cellmapper - TelusCellmapper - Telusertyu - telusertyu - telus

We have looked at cell tower maps and it seems that there are towers close to us (home is red X). Anyone have suggestions that would fix this so we can stay with Public?

@clive49er  - 

Manually select the 3G / WCDMA ONLY network in your Mobile Connections area in your settings (temporarily) for dropping or unable to make incoming/outgoing calls.

Hopefully this is only temporary.

If you toggle on / off airplane does it increase your bars?

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Hi. @clive49er 

1. Can you put a checkmark on Bell towers too?

2. Is your Data on while in house....does FaceTime use in house run on Data or internet Wifi?

3. Can you check bars in different parts of house and back and front yard. Any high building near?

4. What plan? What model of iPhone?

edit

5. What is your cellular setting 3G, LTE?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@clive49er 

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

for android visit Here link ,

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,to refreshing your network,

*what is meant by rebooting the device turn off and turn it back on.

Need Help? Let's chat.