cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Reception b/w PM and Telus

parousia52
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just want to share what I experienced. good to PM 🙂

I and my wife went to buntzen lake two days ago.

In parking lot there, my wife, who uses Telus in iPhone 6S, tried to call to her friend in order to confirm when she arrives there. Unfortunatedly, she failed to call for bad reception.

At that time, I tried to call to her friend instead of my wife, and signal comes! Surprisingly, I am using PM in iPhone 6 plus. It felt weird. Same line of carriers with different option for phones. (at least, 6S is usually better than 6, right?).

Anyhow, it show off the excellence of PM's signal quality. If someone has plan to shift to PM from main carriers, plz feel comfortable for it, I guarantee. Not only this case, I have NOT exprienced any trouble on call quality in PM since joining here.

16 REPLIES 16

parousia52

I and my wife both updated IOS of iPhone recently.

And my wife's iPhone 6S used to receive messages few seconds earlier than my iPhone 6 in our family group message. It matches common sense. That's why what we experienced, which only PM service in older iPhone could get signal, seemed unuaul. 🙂

parousia52

I already well know that both carriers have same network. That's why I posted that episode because it seemed unusual to us. 🙂

Quest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am

I was misunderstood here. Maybe that is my fault again. Smiley Sad  I said: Smiley Happy Smiley Happy ..."not all"... What I meant here is in fact opposite I believe that majority users having friendly discussions here on this Forum not demands with a few really few exceptions. I am not relating here to the past and have never been to Manitoba but still concern about every user from Coast to Coast.

Why to jump right away to wrong conclusions or assumptions. You can always ask me to clarify my stand on anything.

Lets take it easy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy brothers in Telus Network

@Quest wrote:

@will13am@sheytoon

PM Users getting such a good deal comparing for example to chatr that operates only on 3G network and have no access to LTE.

Sometimes it looks like PM users (not all) start to act like a spoiled brats. They forget that PM is Sub Brand of Telus with lower prices but Telus-like coverage.

No disrespect my friend, what is this spoiled brat thing all about?  Are you implying we are spoiled brats?  Have you seen me rebuff labs suggestions asking for premium Telus features for Public Mobile?  We were simply having a discussion of the extent that Telus makes available their roaming agreement with Rogers to Public Mobile customers.  There was no temper tantrums over Telus not giving all the premium features to Public Mobile customers.

If you have never used the Telus or affiliate service, you would not be using the spoiled brat remark.  Telus coverage in Manitoba used to compete with Freedom on the crap scale.  Coverage was iffy in the big city.  Take a few steps east of Winnipeg and you get 911 service only.  I am happy to see that what used to be the MTS network is now available to Public Mobile.  This is now a credible service in Manitoba. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@parousia52 were both devices on the same version of iOS?  Also, did both have the latest carrier updates installed?  These two things could account for the difference experienced.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I agree 🙂

Quest

@sheytoon

It doesn't mean that we shouldn't look for speed or coverage bugs like  @sheytoon  and Others did but occasional praise for Telus generosity is also welcomed here.

Quest

@will13am@sheytoon

PM Users getting such a good deal comparing for example to chatr that operates only on 3G network and have no access to LTE.

Sometimes it looks like PM users (not all) start to act like a spoiled brats. They forget that PM is Sub Brand of Telus with lower prices but Telus-like coverage.

@sheytoon wrote:
@will13am
I'm not sure about domestic roaming. Initially I was told small parts of Northern Ontario were allowed to roam on Rogers, but that info might been wrong. The big area of concern was Manitoba. Now that it's native coverage, where else would domestic roaming be useful?

From past experience, Telus would probably not extend roaming access to PM subscribers.

Northern Ontario.  Maybe other northern areas where Rogers roaming is available to Telus customers.

@will13am
I'm not sure about domestic roaming. Initially I was told small parts of Northern Ontario were allowed to roam on Rogers, but that info might been wrong. The big area of concern was Manitoba. Now that it's native coverage, where else would domestic roaming be useful?

From past experience, Telus would probably not extend roaming access to PM subscribers.

jpar

Network quality is great in St. John's as well. Smiley Happy

Signal reception is great, have ZERO Issues so far

@sheytoon wrote:
@parousia52
There is no difference in the network. See here:
http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Network-sharing-explained/td-p/129092

@sheytoon, the big 3 have agreements on domestic roaming, so Telus users can roam on Rogers network also.  Do you know whether the roaming on the Rogers network extends also to Public Mobile?  It goes without saying that Bellus is essentially one network.  I noticed that with completion of the Bell buyout of MTS, Telus and affiliate brands all have real coverage in all of Manitoba.  It use to be challenging using the service in Winnipeg with complete radio silence east of Steinbach. 

Quest

@parousia52Telus/Koodo and PM operates on the same network. People are switching to PM in order to save money in return for not having access to live customer service support. PM offers only fully on line service.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Thanks for sharing your experience.

(My assumption would be that the difference is in the handset, since both devices should have connected to the exactly same network.)

Need Help? Let's chat.