cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service in Montreal?

Will91
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I went to Montreal last month and my phone with PM showed AWAY instead of HOME as if i am in Toronto. I could not call/text/data at all. What do i need to do to get service in Montreal? Plz give me some instructions in detail.

10 REPLIES 10

@popping wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@popping wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Will91

If you're a Freedom Mobile customer and you're going to be using service in Montreal on regular basis, you'd likely be better off to switch to one of their plans that allows roaming for no extra charge on top of the base plan price.

In any event, this website really is the wrong place to being asking for help when it comes to Freedom Mobile service.

But @Will91 is welcome to join us as PM is covered by a big HOME zone from coast to coast.

I know I am biased as I've chosen to be a Public Mobile customer (how can I not be since I've decided this is where I'm going to get best serviced at least for now), but I see very little reason for anyone to subscribe to Freedom Mobile.

Quite frankly, one of the few reasons to go with Freedom Mobile's current price plans has to do with faster possible data speeds compared to Public Mobile's 3g plans.

Freedom's network is terrible, and I'd rather have slow data and service that actually works.  Public Mobile's 3g plan pricing lines up nicely with Freedom Mobile's offerings.

Agree.  I don't like to pay roaming charge while I am on highway.

I'd imagine that most signups to Freedom Mobile are probably taking the plans that include roaming, so that's not really much of an issue any longer.  They've pretty much made it so that you have to take a $50+ plan to get a reasonable amount of data, and those plans just happen to include Canada-wide roaming.  That still doesn't help with the Freedom Mobile network in places that are supposed to be serviced but aren't properly and where roaming is disallowed. 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

@popping wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Will91

If you're a Freedom Mobile customer and you're going to be using service in Montreal on regular basis, you'd likely be better off to switch to one of their plans that allows roaming for no extra charge on top of the base plan price.

In any event, this website really is the wrong place to being asking for help when it comes to Freedom Mobile service.

But @Will91 is welcome to join us as PM is covered by a big HOME zone from coast to coast.

I know I am biased as I've chosen to be a Public Mobile customer (how can I not be since I've decided this is where I'm going to get best serviced at least for now), but I see very little reason for anyone to subscribe to Freedom Mobile.

Quite frankly, one of the few reasons to go with Freedom Mobile's current price plans has to do with faster possible data speeds compared to Public Mobile's 3g plans.

Freedom's network is terrible, and I'd rather have slow data and service that actually works.  Public Mobile's 3g plan pricing lines up nicely with Freedom Mobile's offerings.

Agree.  I don't like to pay roaming charge while I am on highway.

@popping wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Will91

popping

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Will91

@Will91

popping

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Will91 wrote:

I went to Montreal last month and my phone with PM showed AWAY instead of HOME as if i am in Toronto. I could not call/text/data at all. What do i need to do to get service in Montreal? Plz give me some instructions in detail.

Public Mobile phones do not connect to any netowrks called Home or Away.  This message board is for Public Mobile customers.  If you're a Freedom Mobile customer, I'd suggest contacting Freedom Mobile customer service, or maybe even howardforums.com.

@computergeek541,

You are correct.  OP is a Freedom subscriber.  Montreal is not one of Freedom zone.  That was why OP got the AWAY showing on his phone.

@popping wrote:

@Will91 wrote:

It seems to me that you were at a location with Telus signal.  PM does not have extended coverage provide by Telus or Koodo plan.  PM does not get free roaming in Canada.

Where were you in Montreal that you lost the Telus signal?

"HOME" and "AWAY" is a Freedom Mobile thing.  This is what that carrier chooses to rename the Freedom Mobile network, and all other domestic roaming networks to.  I do not believe that the OP is a Public Mobile customer. 

@Will91 wrote:

Public Mobile phones do not connect to any netowrks called Home or Away.  This message board is for Public Mobile customers.  If you're a Freedom Mobile customer, I'd suggest contacting Freedom Mobile customer service, or maybe even howardforums.com.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Will91, there is no reason why your phone wouldn't work in Montreal.  i am in Montreal, and it works just fine for talk/text.  Is your phone's network selection set to automatic?

popping

@Will91 wrote:

It seems to me that you were at a location with Telus signal.  PM does not have extended coverage provide by Telus or Koodo plan.  PM does not get free roaming in Canada.

Where were you in Montreal that you lost the Telus signal?

Need Help? Let's chat.