cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam?

Ancora
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

A person unexpectedly showed up at my doorstep, blatantly disregarding the 'Do Not Disturb' sign we have posted. As we work from home, frequent disturbances from door-to-door salespeople are common, hence the sign. However, this individual seemed to think they were exempt and knocked anyway. They introduced themselves as a representative from Tellus, regarding our Public Mobile account. I'm aware of recent scams in our area involving fake representatives from phone companies. I'm seeking clarity on two things: A) Is it possible that this person was genuinely from Public Mobile? I'm curious as to why they would send someone to my home. B) Assuming this was a legitimate rep, I'm puzzled as to why they would send someone for in-person marketing to try and upsell me on their service when getting in touch with a real person for customer support is impossible and infuriatingly stressful.  I mean I could not even access the site to submit a ticket to ask this question because the page is 404, but they send people to my door to sell me something else? 

9 REPLIES 9

@Sansan wrote:

If they are from a legit company they will show you their employee badge and be wearing a tshirt with the logo.

Not even that anymore. Con people are getting way smarter. They can create a fake badge or ID with a printer and even 3D printer. Plus, they can stop by a Value Village and find uniforms for dirt cheap to help with their con. 

I knew a guy LONG time ago who picked up a Winnipeg Transit uniform from a Value Village and would put it on just to get a free ride on the bus. It was hilarious but his ex wife at the time reported him. Now WT makes staff scan their ID's. LOL

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

I would definitely report that. If you got a description of the person, vehicle to the police. The only people who do door to door sales are usually cable companies and I don't event think they do that anymore. 

If they are from a legit company they will show you their employee badge and be wearing a tshirt with the logo.

Sales companies usually just drop a flier. 

Secondly,  they would not know if you have a public mobile account or not. They are just trying to get information.  Good that you didn't provide any and be vigilant and look out for yourself and your neighbors. 

Ancora

That was exactly why I thought it was a scam. Who can ever get a human when you need one at PM?  But also, why come to my door to try and upsell me when I am already not happy with your service - BECAUSE I can never get help when I need it?  Seemed like a scam to me.

Ancora

It's far too late, he is long gone. It seemed like a scam so I immediately came to find out - only it took so long to get past all the PM's site 404 errors that he was long long gone by the time I posted here.  

Ancora

I am not in Manitoba, I am in Nova Scotia. I did not get any info from the person. I told him to leave and refused to give him any information either. Firstly I was annoyed, he saw the do not disturb sign, he admitted he did, so the audacity annoyed me. But more so, it seemed like a scam so I immediately came to find out - only it took so long to get past all the site 404 errors that he was long long gone by the time I posted here. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Ancora 

You can’t even get help from Telus staff at the Telus/Koodo store on getting assistance in activating a SIM so I am surprised that a door to door salesman will ask about PM.

Scammers I would think.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Ancora 

Public mobile does not have any kiosk or sales.  So, it must be a scam

but curious, are you in Manitoba?

and did you take some more information from that person so PM can contact him and action accordingly (since it is a scam using PM's name).     Anyway, please submit a ticket with CS Agent here:
       https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437  

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

No. It's a scam. Call the police if it's not too late. They could be scamming one of your neighbors as we speak. Protect your neighbors by asking the police to come by asap. And if you're neighbors on your street are elderly, they could be getting their credit card info too. Call it in!

Need Help? Let's chat.