cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Phone Calls and Text Messages

B20
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I had one phone number and started to receive scam phone calls and text messages on it, so I changed the number.  The new number was no better.  I still received scam phone calls and text messages.  I changed that number, too.  For a few days with the most recent number, I didn't get any such calls or texts and then the scam phone calls and text messages started again.  The scam calls are in Chinese and I don't even have text messaging in my phone plan.  Public Mobile just sends a message that I was sent a text message.  What can I do to be rid of these scam calls and text messages?

31 REPLIES 31

B20

@gpixel:

I have so many good solutions to the scam call problem now.  Thank you.  This Community is the best!

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@B20 

to reset your call forwarding dial ##21# and then ##004#

B20

So, then how do you change it back to go to voicemail when the scam calls are no longer a problem?

@HALIMACS wrote:

IF YOU DO ANSWER, and the caller is a spammer, it's likely your number will get logged as one which will get answered, so anticipate spam calling to increase (at least in the short term).

The problem with this logic is that an unanswered call, when sent to voicemail, will also get logged as answered.....  Because of this I've toyed with setting my blocked/decline/busy conditional call forward to a dead-end instead of my voicemail to potentially have a junk call fail completely... ie with *67*0000000000# (reset to voicemail with ##67#)

@B20 

If you would like to tag another member in your replies just tap the "@" key and a box will pop up with usernames.....or keep typing until it does pop up.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@B20 wrote:

I didn't think it was the phone provider's responsibility to deal with scam calls.  I just thought the Community might have tips on how to deal with scam calls and the Community does have a bunch of great tips.

Fantastic! I'm always happy to observe instances where folx are able to derive some benefit from the participation of others on this community!

B20

I didn't think it was the phone provider's responsibility to deal with scam calls.  I just thought the Community might have tips on how to deal with scam calls and the Community does have a bunch of great tips.

B20

I will try it for sure.

B20

O.K.  I can try that too.

B20

Ya, modern technology is mostly great, but occasionally it has a down side.

B20

Thanks.  I will consider other plans.  I already get the Loyalty discount and the AutoPay discount.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@B20 

You might want to:

1. Compare the newer plans money and purpose  wise and make a change 

2. ** Buy an iPhone and put all your contacts in it...friends, family, lovers, exes, coworkers, and enemies etc. That way you can block, block and block some more. Also there are DND (Do No Disturb) settings that can be set. In can be as easy as setting up to refuse all calls if they are not in your contacts. 

**I am most familiar with an iPhone ....thus my preference and best knowledge, but I imagine an Android will do similar. 

It it is not the telcos responsibility and the do not call registry won’t help you much either. So it is on each individual to have the tools and moxy to control those annoying calls and texts, yourself. 

@Meow 

Out of the blue I got hit with about 10 spam calls in one day on my $10 account. Well that was it. I typed "Lenny" in the search bar got the phone number and set up my declined call forwarding option to go to Lenny. Well I haven't gotten a single spam call to send to him.

Instead I cracked up @Nezgar listening to me demonstrate how to use Lenny to my bf and m-i-l. Just wait til I show @grumpyneighbour that call will be a keeper!!

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@B20 

just pick up the phone call and talk to the rep. that's the best defence. otherwise "call screening" if you have a pixel. they're in the business to make money. if you can waste their time they will leave you alone

changing numbers is the worst thing anyone can do. the spammers have lists of numbers programmed into their system. once they know they can't fool you. you are removed from the list. and if you talk to the rep from the chinese recording you'll find out they aren't even Chinese 😯

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@B20 wrote:

What can I do to be rid of these scam calls and text messages?

Simple answer is: nothing.

If you answer, they would know you are 'live' person and will share your number with other spammers.

If you do not answer, call will go to voice mail and again they would know it is a 'live' number and continue bothering you. PLUS now you have to access your vmail and delete message.

In both cases you will see and block that number but number could be legitimate if it is spoofed.

You have to live with modern technology annoyances. Same as Windows 10 weekly updates...

@HALIMACS wrote:

Find out where they are, forcibly obtain the device from their cold, slimy hands, then destroy it with a hammer, then politely return it to them.

Definitely not good solution! They can get new phone within 5 minutes and continue spamming.

There are way better (not politically correct) solutions...

@B20 

Goodness are you on the $22 province wide talk only plan? With no rewards? Do you talk a lot?

I can understand if you are not a texter but you can pay much less for a better plan.

• $15 unlimited incoming calling, SMS/MMS international texts, 100 canada wide outgoing minutes...add the $5/500min calling add on to supplement the plan and you may only need to purchase the add on a couple of times a year and 250mb of data.
  • $25 unlimited Canada wide calling, SMS and MMS international texts and 1gb of data.

If I read @ShawnC13  post from 4 years ago correctly once you switch from a legacy plans you start recieving accumulated loyalty rewards and the autopay reward ($5+$2=$7) making the above plans $8 and $18! 

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious wrote:

@HALIMACS 

No, no, no you just get my bf to ask to borrow the phone for a minute....guaranteed it will be broken in some way shape or form when it gets returned. He's not allowed to even touch my pixel.

"Butterfingers" 😂

@HALIMACS 

No, no, no you just get my bf to ask to borrow the phone for a minute....guaranteed it will be broken in some way shape or form when it gets returned. He's not allowed to even touch my pixel.

@Anonymous 

You could stop them. (for awhile anyways...)

Find out where they are, forcibly obtain the device from their cold, slimy hands, then destroy it with a hammer, then politely return it to them.

Probably not advisable, but would be fun.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@B20 

just ignore and deleted and blocked,
and if the Scam call happen again and is a lot you can try to change your phone number but is not good idea is will happen the Scam call time to time, you know and you can't stop them,

B20

Thanks for this information.  I think I'm on the Legacy Plan because I joined PM over 10 years ago.

B20

Thanks!

Ohhh @B20 - well, unless you're on an older legacy plan, sounds like you may be on one of those 'special' plans public mobile offered several months back when they introduced Provincial only calling alongside of Canada-wide calling.

You may wish to consider changing to a Canada-wide plan if the price-point suits you for the features it provides.

See Plans here

If you do find one you prefer, here's how to change plans:

First login to Self Serve to this screen:

Then, click Change Plan:

HALIMACS_0-1636823754356.png

Then select desired Plan:

HALIMACS_1-1636823754429.png

Then choose Change on Next Renewal Date:

HALIMACS_2-1636823754388.png

B20

I like to keep my phone simple, so I still have the original flip phone I purchased to start off with Public Mobile.

B20

I have province-wide calling.

B20

Good advice.  Thanks!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@B20 

NEVER answer any calls from numbers/people you either don't recognize or are not on your contact list.  It can be difficult to ignore a call, but you will get used to it.  

If the person calling you needs you that badly, they will leave a voice message; if they don't bother leaving one, you likely didn't need to hear from them in the first place.

IF YOU DO ANSWER, and the caller is a spammer, it's likely your number will get logged as one which will get answered, so anticipate spam calling to increase (at least in the short term).

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM can't do anything other than suggest you block numbers, or change your number again up to 4 times every 30 days.  

What phone are you using I think both Apple and Android have spam calling apps you can use. There is one called trucaller (or something similar)

Need Help? Let's chat.