cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S8 compatibility

Kovacsa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Anyone have a Samsung Galaxy S8 phone? (SM-G950W)? Is it compatible on the PM network?  Thanks!

19 REPLIES 19

@Kovacsa  It doesn't necessarily follow that what gets VoLTE on Telus will also get it on PM. PM's VoLTE list is here, scroll down the page

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte 

You can do a rough test here in Canada, turn off wifi, turn on cellular data, make a phone call.  If at the top of the screen it drops from LTE to 3G then you don't have VoLTE.

Kovacsa

Kovacsa_0-1704396503332.png

Checked on Telus' site.  Would this mean I'm good to go with VoLTE wherever?

@hTideGnow   I don't know about T-Mobile but AT&T's VoLTE list appears limited to S8 models G950U and 950U1.

@Kovacsa  The phone needs to be VoLTE (voice over LTE) capable and enabled otherwise it will try to make calls over 3G which no longer exists in the USA.  It can be a 4G/LTE phone but not be VoLTE capable or carrier enabled.  I have one such myself that was on Rogers and I got the notice from them that it would no longer work for roaming in the US.

HI @Kovacsa 

yes, your phone is 4G and will work data without problem

question is VoLTE or not 

the phone is not VoLTE compatible with PM but it has VoLTE and it is compatble with T-Mobile and AT&T.  Some believe it will still not work VoLTE when you roam.  But my friends work in the industry said while it won't work VoLTE in Canada with PM, it will work VoLTE with T-Moble or AT&T.

But either way, it will just affect voice when you roam, data will work

Kovacsa

It's always a possibility that I could go to the US.  I have a 4G phone though, not 3G, shouldn't I be okay for roaming should I need it with a 4G phone?

So yes the latest version is 9.

My S20 is currently on 13, that was the mix up👍

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Kovacsa   Are you likely to visit the USA?  A non-VoLTE phone will not work well when roaming there because of the shutdown of 3G networks, you would have to connect to T-Mobile's 2G where available.  Not an issue in Canada because we still have 3G here for now.

HI @Kovacsa 

typo, and fixed now

i meant it wont have VoLTE.

yes, s8 works LTE and 4G without problem

I'm sure that's correct. I'm probably thinking of something else.   I'll check the phone again later.👍

Kovacsa

What do you mean it won't have LTE?  I have 4G LTE+ now with my current carrier, why wouldn't it work with PM?

HI @Kovacsa 

yes, S8 won't have Android 13 because it is too old the phone

However, for use on PM network, it works perfect without issue.  You can also download PM app using S8 with Anrdoid 9

@Sansan 

Updates on Androids is only about 3 years so the latest OS will be android 9 on this phone in 2000.

Kovacsa

SGS8 doesn't support Android 13, only up to Android 9

Last update is android 13. Won't update anymore,  but we have had no issues day to day usage. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Kovacsa 

Yes, I have the Samsung S8+ and the Samsung S9…no issues at all.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Kovacsa 

Yes, Galaxy S8 will work beautifully on PM, both data and voice

just that it won't have VoLTE, but it will still work great

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

We have this phone and we have service with public mobile. No issues with it

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Kovacsa 

This phone is compatible with Public mobile.  It will unlikely be compatible with VoLTE service though.  

Here are the specs of this phone:

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s8-8161.php#g950w

Here is some more info:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ab/get-help/articles/check-your-phones-compatibility

Need Help? Let's chat.