cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S20 5G but no 5G access

Curgle
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Signed up for the $34/40Gb 5G deal like everyone else.  Brought my own Galaxy S20 5G (SM-G981W), which I was using on Telus network.  Running latest update, OneUI 5.1 / Android 13.

I was able to use 5G network on Telus, with a Telus SIM card, and have "5G" option listed in my "Network Mode" settings.

When I use a physical Public Mobile SIM, I am NOT able to access 5G and do not have the 5G option listed in my "Network Mode" settings - only LTE.

Looks like others are experiencing this issue with the Galaxy S20 line of phones with Public Mobile.  By no means is this an old phone and it is 5G capable.  Can PM do something about this or is this a Samsung issue?  Pretty disappointing.

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

Michael56

The subject has come up a few times since the Public Mobile 5G plans came out.   Most recently about 2 weeks ago (https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/PM-only-give-me-LTS-even-though-I-got-5G/...)

I use a Samsung S20 FE 5G that I acquired via a Telus plan.  When I was with Telus I rarely activated the 5G service because it seemed to drain the battery quickly.  When I did connect on 5G, speed tests varied quite a bit but rarely ever exceeded 200 Mbps (download).  When connected to the Public Mobile service (I have a 5G plan) the mobile network indicator is usually LTE+ but my speed test is consistently 225-250 Mbps .  So that exceeds what I would get on a (100Mbps speed controlled) 4G plan.  If I cut back to a WCDMA/GSM connection (3G) then my speed is <50 Mbps.   

Perma

I got a public mobile SIM today and activated it with my Samsung S20 FE 5g. Besides the annoying browser home page changes the 5g was no longer listed in the -Connections -mobile networks -network mode, only LTE/WCDMA/GSM. My wife bought a new Pixel 8 today, so I put my PM Sim in it and after a couple of minutes, and maybe toggling airplane mode, it switched from LTE to 5g and back and forth a bit. I ran an internet speed test from the Google app and got just over 100mbs download outside my house. I switched back to my S20fe and got about the same on LTE+, around 130mbs. So it would seem that the sim and account does do 5g, but might have trouble with the S20FE. The speed was similar though.

I leave it up to the phone to decide 5G vs 4G connection.  I don't notice any difference in battery life.  I also think VoLTE matters more especially as we get closer to year end 2025 when 3G is scheduled to be turned off.  

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Curgle 

even though I have an option to enable the 5g radio on my device, I typically leave it disabled. having 5g enabled drains more battery with very little benefit. enjoy the battery savings. I would be more concerned about making sure 'volte' is working

That's marketing not technical. 

@will13am wrote:

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Hi @Curgle 

Have you tried doing a speed test yet? Might want to give that a try as it may not show 5G on your phone but you may be getting 5G speeds. Give it a try and let us know.

Please explain what is 5G speed?  5G speed is a marketing schtick and not technical definition.  That said, I do agree with OP that any shortcomings in the 5G rollout should be acknowledged and dealt with.  

Hi @will13am 

My understanding of 5G speeds is that plans with 5G may reach download speeds of up to 250Mbps. 4G plans may reach download speeds of up to 100Mbps. Maybe I'm missing something here?

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Hi @Curgle 

Have you tried doing a speed test yet? Might want to give that a try as it may not show 5G on your phone but you may be getting 5G speeds. Give it a try and let us know.

Please explain what is 5G speed?  5G speed is a marketing schtick and not technical definition.  That said, I do agree with OP that any shortcomings in the 5G rollout should be acknowledged and dealt with.  

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Curgle 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Curgle it is reported that S20 has some problems with Telus 5G network.  But access the 4G network and you should still get speed like 200Mbps or higher 

Need Help? Let's chat.