cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saint Pierre et Miquelon

aamin87
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all, 

I am in a small French island that it seems nearly no one in Canada has heard of, off the coast of Newfoundland for the month, called Saint Pierre et Miquelon. It is French - as in it is technically part of the European Union. I had my phone on Airplane Mode and bored in isolation decided to turn it on and low and behold, I have service. 

My understanding of Public Mobile is that as it's all prepaid I should not be charged for roaming, it just feels really odd to me that I'm technically in another country - France - and my Public Mobile is working. It does not list another carrier. 

I just want to confirm for sure that I guess this island is just so small no one thought to remove it from a service area or something - or whatever, but that I definitely won't be charged extra, which is my understanding. 

Merci 😉 

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aamin87 

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges, 

it's not matter if you on roaming or off is won't work and also public mobile service offer only U.S. roaming...

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@aamin87 : Under the right conditions, cell range can be 30 to 50 km. You're maybe 20 or so km away from a Bell tower near Point May.

It's similar to being close to the US border and connecting to a US tower.

And ..uh.. I knew of those islands there.

Canadian towers.

US towers you would be using while in roaming. 

@aamin87  you are correct, you wont be charged for roaming while using data and texts there as you are connected to Canadian network no matter which part of land you are on. 

If the phone numbers are local for France there then you ll charged int'l if you call next door restaurant or neighbours.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aamin87 : Under the right conditions, cell range can be 30 to 50 km. You're maybe 20 or so km away from a Bell tower near Point May.

It's similar to being close to the US border and connecting to a US tower.

And ..uh.. I knew of those islands there.

@aamin87 Try looking for the nearest town or city in NFLD that would be close to you.

aamin87

That's great, thank you! Mostly it's data or texting I was hoping to have - and looks like I do 😎

aamin87

Doesn't show up as 'covered' on the coverage map! 

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@aamin87 wrote:

Hi all, 

I am in a small French island that it seems nearly no one in Canada has heard of, off the coast of Newfoundland for the month, called Saint Pierre et Miquelon. It is French - as in it is technically part of the European Union. I had my phone on Airplane Mode and bored in isolation decided to turn it on and low and behold, I have service. 

My understanding of Public Mobile is that as it's all prepaid I should not be charged for roaming, it just feels really odd to me that I'm technically in another country - France - and my Public Mobile is working. It does not list another carrier. 

I just want to confirm for sure that I guess this island is just so small no one thought to remove it from a service area or something - or whatever, but that I definitely won't be charged extra, which is my understanding. 

Merci 😉 

@aamin87 

Just try it. If it works, it works. Lucky for you.

You won't be charged anything extra since Public Mobile service is prepaid, not pay-as-you-go.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You maybe close to Newfoundland so you are getting a connection.  You could check on the coverage map.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@aamin87 You must be close enough to NFLD to receive a signal. Point May, which Telus shows as having LTE+ coverage, is pretty close. You are correct vis a vis extra charges. You will never be charged after the fact for something you have used.

Edit: You will need International long distance minutes to call France from France but you will be good to call anywhere in Canada.

Need Help? Let's chat.