cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNOWBIRD going to Florida for 5 months

JJBeans
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I see the US roaming plans, but nothing for more than 10 days.  Are there longer plans?  I see I can put my phone on vacation for just 90 days also and keep my number.

8 REPLIES 8

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

When I was in the US a few years ago I got myself a Google Voice number. It's my permanent US number. My contacts have me in their contacts with both my numbers. I let them know when I am traveling to US. I pick up a local SIM and they can call or text me at any time on my US number. As a matter of fact they can call me or text me at that number when I'm in Canada as well. I don't have to provide them with a new US number every time I travel.

GC 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@srlawrenthat was my understanding as well.

@srlawren wrote:

@kav2001c does the phone even ring in the USA without a roaming talk add-on?  I thought they go straight to voicemail.

@@

srlawren

@kav2001c does the phone even ring in the USA without a roaming talk add-on?  I thought they go straight to voicemail.

@JJBeans here's the community reference thread on extended absences, courtesy of @Ludditehttps://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Extended-Absence/m-p/142735#M...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

If heading to States do NOT buy a local plan since then anyone who would call you does not

They either do not know your US number or they were someone you never gave number to

Buy a US data SIM

Then just hotspot your phone off it

If anyone does call it is easy enough to glance at call display then call them back

You only get billed when answering the phone

mimmo

when i have gone traveling i have forwarded my PM calls to my fongo number.  that way people would not get a not in service number.  your incoming texts will still work in the USA (as long as you have an active account).  as metioned much depends on your needs and plan you have.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@JJBeans wrote:

I see the US roaming plans, but nothing for more than 10 days.  Are there longer plans?  I see I can put my phone on vacation for just 90 days also and keep my number.

There are no long term plans for being in the US.  A local SIm would be your best bet for 5 months while you are away.  As for your number depends if you are on a plan that is no longer offered.  Then you would need to let plan go to suspension pay for the plan at day 88/89 and let it run out and only renew when you return.  If it is an in market plan, just future date to the $10 30 day plan to save money.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

GreatCanadian

If I'm going to the US for longer than 4 or 5 days I'll buy a local SIM. You can find Unlimited plans (data, US calling, Canada calling) for about 30 bucks. It's not worth the cost or the hassle to fool with Public Mobile add-ons for more than a couple of weeks.

GC

KMG

There are no US roaming plans lasting longer than 10 days.  You would be better off to buy a local SIM once you arrive in the US.

Regarding keeping your number, you are correct.  If you disable autopay, your account will be suspended once your next renewal date comes around.  Once your account has been suspended for 90 days, your account is automatically cancelled and you lose your number.  So you should keep track of when that 90 days is, and reactivate your account just before that date - I would use the $10/30 day plan at that point since it is the cheapest.

Need Help? Let's chat.