cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS Gateway

Jyoung
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Community,

I'm hoping someone can help. I am a PM user for a number of years. I am a volunteer firefighter and we use an alert system that sends a push notification as well as an sms to our phones. Recently, my phone has stopped receiving the sms messages.  The messages originate from a computer, so I use mytendigitphonenumber@msg.telus.com to receive them.  I had issues about a year ago, and these messages were being filtered in a spam filter.  I have reached out to another colleague who is with koodoo and also stopped receiving them, but another who is with bell has had no problems... Does anyone have an idea why?  Did the gateway change?   This is a pretty important part of our dispatching. 

Thanks for your help,

Jeff

10 REPLIES 10

Jyoung

After some back and forth with CS, it was resolved.(CS suggested that it was an issue on my end, but the issue was resolved without having to do everything they requested)  I was able to look into things on our end and see that the messages were being bounced by all telus servers. This bouncing was 100% limited to the address from the dispatching service. (I realized i could do this was after it was fixed)  I understand that it is an unsupported feature, but it is the only way for this app service to get messages to people who do not use smartphones/data, and for us to send inter-agency dispatches that are a bit quicker than email itself.  Either way, thank you all for your help and suggestions.  

Hi @Jyoung 

you need to let your dispatch service team aware that this is an old technology and no longer a supported features.  They should be aware that Rogers/Fido/Chatr are no longer offereing email to text service.  With Telus/Koodo/PM, it is an unsupported feature.  They will try to help, but they would not put an effort to fix it

Check this, @JJY (could be @jjy1) is  "a member of a volunteer fire department".  The issue was because "It appears the issue is completely limited to any message sent with the automated link sent via distribution list:. App->Email->Dist. list-> SMS address" .  His issue was fixed because "a spam filter not allowing some email2text... An exception was added and it has been working."  

But again, this is not outdated technology, unreliable for your usage and not all carriers has this feature, and your team should consider changing it

Jyoung

Sending them from my own email does work. But I am not receiving the texts that are being sent from our dispatch service.  Nothing has changed from their end. As mentioned, this has happened before and their domain was blocked as spam, but it seemed as if it were only limited to me with pm.  Now, there are multiple people on different parts of the Telus network including Telus and Koodo customers that are also not receiving them. 

The way it is setup is: we have profiles on the app, when an incident is dispatched the service sends it out via the SMS to email address provided in the app. I facilitate these settings and have not changed them other than for testing since it stopped working. 

I have contacted the service with hopes that maybe they can look from their end to 

@Jyoung 

did you try once again?  It works for me tonight too.  

for calling Telus, they won't help as PM and Telus has different support.   you need to open ticket with PM support and ask them to escalate to Telus team.  But again, it works for me with 10digits@msg.telus.com, please try again

Jyoung

Sorry for not replying sooner, has been a busy week.. I see that there is a note on the Telus forum to contact them for any domains that may have been flagged.    As a pm customer, am I able to do that myself? 

@Jyoung 

just tested now with only the 10 digits (no 1 in front) @msg.telus.com from Gmail and it works tonight 

(I also tested last night, but all of them undeliverable)

again, this is an unsupported function, so, use it while it is still here

Also, a Telus Community manager confirmed that

Due to high incidents of spam using email-to-SMS as a vector, we've set filters in place that may affect some messages that contain a URL

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Business/Connection-Rejected-when-trying-to-send-an-email-to-xxx-msg/m-p/...

@Jyoung 

you can try these domains

MMS Domain:
@mms.mb.telus.com
@mms.koodomobile.com
@mms.telusmobility.com
SMS Domain:
     @msg.telusmobility.com
@msg.telus.com
@msg.koodomobile.com

But while this is a feature that is still available, from what I understand, this is an unsupported legacy product.

In fact, Rogers has decommissioned email to text feature already , I expected this will go ahead soon with Telus network as well

Jyoung

*Update* now it is no longer working again.

Something similar happened and it was to do with spam filters from the provider.  Again, it seems to be restricted to a couple of us who are on the Telus network.  

Jyoung

I just added the "1" and it worked... It was never required before..   but that seems to be the fix.  

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

I just tested sending to myself from yahoo.

It took a while (2-3min) but both SMS arrived.
Sent to:
<phonenum>@msg.telus.com    and
<phonenum>@msg.telusmobility.com

from 19999999999

And (it just arrived) sent to 1<phonenum>@msg.telus.com so it is working and it could be some change on your side, not particularly phone but your firefighting computer system.

Need Help? Let's chat.