cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM not working

JM77
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

SIM card works in my old phone (iphone SE) but does not work in new iPhone (13 mini). 
Tried restarting, cleaning/reinserting. When I check network and carrier settings they say “not available”. Seems like the phone doesn’t even register having SIM inserted. 

9 REPLIES 9

hi @JM77 you might not need it in this case, but PM sim card is now free until March 31, order 1 first just in case or as a backup later

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JM77, was the phone actually sold by BestBuy or one of their marketplace sellers?

Either way, you can bring the phone and sim to a BestBuy store and have them check it out, this might be a hardware issue.

No @JM77 , don't do that as activating a new PM SIM card will create a whole new account and you'll lose your prior number.

The issue is very likely device-related since the existing SIM card works with your prior device.

JM77

I checked through devicecheck and it came up clean. VPN says not connected 

JM77

Ah I see. I don’t have another SIM to try. Should I just order a new one from Public and do the activate process with the new phone?

I did reboot, turned airplane mode off and on and reset the network connections. 

Well that is good, @JM77 

Try ANOTHER SIM card in your new iPhone to see if you can connect to the network on the other SIM card.  (not the one you already know doesn't work, another one...)

Did you try:

• rebooting device
  • resetting network connections
  • toggling airplane mode on/off

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@JM77 wrote:

SIM card works in my old phone (iphone SE) but does not work in new iPhone (13 mini). 
Tried restarting, cleaning/reinserting. When I check network and carrier settings they say “not available”. Seems like the phone doesn’t even register having SIM inserted. 

Make sure your new iPhone is clean. If your new iPhone have set up VPN, try turn off VPN.

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

JM77

My SIM still works when I put it back in the old phone. I bought the phone from Best Buy and checked the IMEI thru devicecheck and didn’t come up as stolen or blacklisted. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@JM77 

If you have access to another device, try that SIM card in the new device to see if it works.

Did you acquire the new iPhone from a reputable dealer, or private sale?

Need Help? Let's chat.