Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM error when putting new public SIM card in iphone

CV
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello

I am just setting up my new account and when I insert my new SIM card it says 

the SIM card that you have installed in this phone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server.

What can I do?…

16 REPLIES 16

@softech wrote:

But ironic par tis Apple won't take unlock request via customers... even these days locked devices are no longer legal.  Apple will only take unlock request from carrier, which customers have to sort out which carrier first , then call and hope and convince the carrier to help (could be  a long process if you are no longer their customer)

I think Apple should just take unlock request via customers as long as customers can prove the ownership of the device. 

I agree that Apple should just process these requests, but I disagree that the customer should need to prove ownership.  The assumption shouldn't be that the person in possesion of the device doesn't legally own it.  A device that is lost or stolen would have most likely been reported as such already.

But ironic par tis Apple won't take unlock request via customers... even these days locked devices are no longer legal.  Apple will only take unlock request from carrier, which customers have to sort out which carrier first , then call and hope and convince the carrier to help (could be  a long process if you are no longer their customer)

I think Apple should just take unlock request from customers as long as customers can prove the ownership of the device. 

@CV wrote:

Roger’s was able to unlock it and no codes needed from apple.  Thanks again problem solved😁

It's good to hear that you got it unlocked. The reason for no codes being needed is because there's no such thing as a network unlock code for any iPhone device. Locked/Unlocked status is kept track of by Apple. The unique device activation process for iPhones is Apple's way of forcing the phone to check via an internet connection  if you're allowed to use a specific carrier's SIM card in the device.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CV 

Welcome to public mobile!

Now you will need to check for updates for your phone and then connect to iTunes to update your carrier profile so that your mobile data will work. Have you done this before? Your phone will prompt you to do this and you will need to be connected to WiFi to check for the software updates.

Edit:

This thread helps explains this....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323118#M162906

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

CV

Roger’s was able to unlock it and no codes needed from apple.  Thanks again problem solved😁

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@CV wrote:

The phone was from Costco and with Roger’s currently. 

Call Rogers NOW, but really Now and ask them to unlock your phone. It might take some time as it always gets complicated with apple.

CV

Thank you I will call 👍

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@hTideGnow 

Unlocking of an iPhone is done by Apple unlike Android phones that are unlocked by the user recieving an unlock code from the provider. The provider must request unlocking by Apple on behalf of the customer.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CV wrote:

Yes I am the original owner

it is an old iPhone SE like the old old one!
model A1723

First gen SE was released 31 march 2016.  CRTC mandated all phone sold in Canada be unlocked starting 1 Dec 2017.  Depending when you purchased your first gen SE, your SE may be locked by your provider.

If you purchased your SE before Dec 2017, contact your provider to unlock your SE.

Welcome to Public Mobile.

Edit:  Sorry, taking too long to submit my post.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CV 

So the phone is locked to Rogers. They have been known to give you a hassle when requesting it be unlocked. As well as claiming its already unlocked. Insist on them making the request and if they make a stink tell them you will be making a complaint to the CCTS as soon as you hang up. This should get them to perform the request forthwith.

HI @CV   try to call Rogers and ask them for an unlock code.  Costco mobile kiosk is just where you got this Rogers locked phone from.  Rogers should be giving you the unlock code

CV

The phone was from Costco and with Roger’s currently. 

@CV wrote:

model A1723

Hi @CV   Look like the phone was locked to the carrier where you got it from.  Which carrier you bought the phone?  can you call them and ask for an unlock code?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CV 

Which provider did you get your phone from? Is it the provider you just left? If so call them with your IMEI # of your phone and ask them to send a request to Apple to unlock your phone. They are required by the WCC legislation to do this upon request, without delay and for free.

CV

model A1723

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CV 

Your phone is locked to your previous carrier. What is the make and model of your phone? Are you the original owner?

Need Help? Let's chat.