cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card transfer

Shirrill
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a new phone, can I just insert the SIM card in the new phone and way to go 

8 REPLIES 8

Jendalley
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do you know if a phone is carrier locked.

I just updated my phone for the first time since I’ve had public mobile . And it is giving me a problem . 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Korth wrote:

You can use any SIM card in any unlocked phone. You can even use the same SIM card in a different phone every day, if you like.

Although a given, the phone has to be compatible. There are many unlocked phones that will never function on Public Mobile service.

This is true. The phone has to be radio-compatible. The phone has to be SIM-compatible. The phone must be unlocked. The phone cannot be blacklisted (registered as lost/stolen/etc).

But I was keeping it simple. "All" new phones sold in Canada are radio-compatible. "All" new phones sold in Canada are SIM-compatible (if they're not, they're eSIM-only or whatever, they won't have a physical slot you can fit your SIM card into so it's a moot point).

It is possible to buy phones (from online vendors like Alibaba, etc) which are intended for use in foreign regions and foreign markets - they likely aren't compatible with North American radio and SIM standards unless they specifically advertise that within their "global" specs. Buyer beware.

It is possible to buy used/aftermarket phones which come with all sorts of problems (from craigslist, eBay, etc). They might be incompatible, foreign, broken, locked, stolen, who knows. I would never buy used devices from strangers without being able to test them before the deal is done. As easy as plugging your active SIM card into the device and restarting - it works immediately without any problems - or it doesn't.

@Korth wrote:

You can use any SIM card in any unlocked phone. You can even use the same SIM card in a different phone every day, if you like.

Although a given, the phone has to be compatible. There are many unlocked phones that will never function on Public Mobile service.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Shirrill wrote:

I have a new phone, can I just insert the SIM card in the new phone and way to go 

@Shirrill 

We presume you already have an active Public Mobile account and simply wish to move services from your prior device to a new one?

Are we close?

If so, then yes.

If you do not yet have active service, then you have to click https://activate.publicmobile.ca/ (at the top of the Public Mobile landing webpage), have an e-mail address and payment card ready to use on the activation, and proceed to activate the new SIM card to join.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Shirrill wrote:

@Shirrill  is the SIM card activated?

If so, SIM comes in 3-in-1 sizes. So is SIM is same size, just remove and insert into the phone...make sure it is unlocked.

IF the size is different you may need to remove or add the outer adapters for fit.

esjliv_0-1627525312721.png

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Shirrill 

Yes you can as long as the SIM is activated.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I routinely swap my PM SIM card into potential referral's phones to test (and demonstrate) whether PM will work on their phone. Sometimes it doesn't - "Invalid SIM" or "SIM not recognized" or whatever - because (regardless what they think or what they were promised/told) their phone is carrier-locked.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Shirrill 

You sure can, if you already have service from before.

Need Help? Let's chat.