cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card not working

DK3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Payments up to date.

It says I am not connected to a mobile network even though my sim card is inserted.

Have tried restarting phone and reinserting sim card.

When I try to send a text it says:  "You may be able to send after inserting a sim card" but

there is a sim card inserted.

18 REPLIES 18

cmobile

I have a iphone 5s which showed NO SIM occasionally.  One day I did a reset on "network setting" and all problem resolved. Give it a try. 

DK3

This worked! Thank you

@DK3 

try this solution

Try going in to settings and search for carrier. Tap on the setting and it should take you to the menu to add a sim.

maybe the recent April security update corrupted your software.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@DK3 

I would suggest you bring the phone into the place where you picked up the phone. If it is defective, it might be still under warranty.

@DK3 

ALSO, make certain you're using the correct size SIM card in the SIM tray - you may need an adapter to assist in it's orientation within the slot.

There's also a possibility using a small piece of paper on the NON-CONTACT side may help to enhance the contacts on the SIM to the device.

Be careful.

@DK3 

Try these steps (depending on what you have around), to clean a SIM card:

Use an eraser or cotton swab to remove dirt or dust. Gently rub the eraser or cotton swab along the gold contacts on your SIM card. Continue to make light strokes until your SIM card is clean.

Wipe the card with a dry, lint-free cloth for all-over cleaning. Simply wipe down your SIM card using a clean cloth. Don’t apply any cleaners to the card or the cloth. This can remove dirt, oils, and moisture from any part of the SIM card.  A microfiber cloth works well for cleaning any part of your phone, including the SIM card. Dry cloths made for eyeglasses are a convenient option.

Use rubbing alcohol to remove oxidation.  Dampen one end of a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol. Then gently rub the alcohol against the gold contacts on your SIM card. Continue cleaning the contacts until all of the oxidation is gone. The cotton swab should be damp but not soaking wet with alcohol. Do not get any rubbing alcohol inside your phone

@DK3 , did you try network reset?

Swipe up to view the apps.

Touch Settings

Scroll to and touch System

Touch Advanced

Touch Reset Options

Touch Reset Wi-fi, mobile & Bluetooth

Touch Reset Settings

Touch Reset Settings again

It should the reset the network settings

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@DK3 "My sim card did work in her phone. So that means the issue is with the phone? "

pretty much; hopefully a pixel expert will stop by. Guess you could try a factory reset. 

DK3

OK thank you for your help 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DK3 : Yup. That's how to narrow down where the problem might be.

DK3

The SIM card has been working fine up until today when it randomly stopped working. I tried using my daughter's sim card in my phone and it didn't work. My sim card did work in her phone. So that means the issue is with the phone? 

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DK3 : Take out the SIM and clean anything off the contact surfaces. Could be some oxidation or dust or something. Can you try a different SIM in the phone? Like a friend or family.

Make sure the SIM is the correct size. Maybe it finally got dislodged from a fluke position. It should fit evenly and flush on a tray or snugly into a slot.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can wipe the sim with a clean soft cloth.  Are the gold contacts facing down or up ?

DK3

Yes I am able to login and it says my plan is Active. I have a google pixel 4a.

DK3

Thanks for your response.

No other phone.

How do I clean contacts?

Pixel 4a

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DK3 : Do you have another phone to try the SIM in? Can you login to your self-serve?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you have another phone then try swapping it.  Also try cleaning the contact points then reinsert the sim.  Which brand and model of phone do you have ?

Need Help? Let's chat.