cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Card

CanadianPerson0
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I ordered a SIM Card on the 1st, I was hoping it'd be here before April 7th because that's when my current phone plans renews, I think I saw the FAQ saying if I wanted to keep my current number I'd have to keep my plan active until I get a SIM Card. I couldn't have gone and got a SIM Card from a retailer because according to the map there's only 1 in Alberta. Am I just gonna have to pay the $45 for my current plan and hope my SIM arrives before my next renewal? ;/

16 REPLIES 16

winterw
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can I ask what the issue is?

If you don't want to wait and if you got your SIM from a retailer/store kiosk, you could always contact the place you got the SIM card from , maybe they could offer their advice/if they ever had other customers deal with the same problem etc. Otherwise, I think you should submit a ticket via SIMon. 

@Amin1360 wrote:

Who should I contact for a SIM card problem?

What type of SIM card problem are you asking about?  A SIM card not arriving?  A SIM card that has stopped working?  SIM cards are rarely defective.    All customer service is provided by opening a ticket at https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html , but doing that might be too early without knowing what type of issue you're having.

Amin1360
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

thanks for reading this. Who should I contact for a SIM card problem?

@CanadianPerson0 

Since your old plan from your other carrier, 

just wait for the PM SIM to arrive.

Meanwhile, try contacting your carrier to go on a lower plan as noted by @HALIMACS

if it works for you for another month. If not,

you might have to bite the bullet and stick with the $45 plan for April.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@CanadianPerson0 ,

Yeah, that's too bad you have another month with your current provider that you did not intend. But it is probably best to port at least a few days (even a week) before your plan is up. Just to make sure the porting completed and all Public Mobile Services are working.

FYI, some SIM card delivery has been about 3 weeks. So do not be too shocked if that is how long it takes yours.

You may be able to find your shipment if your order number works under this tracking:

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/track-reperage/en#/home

I recommend having a spare SIM. You never know when it could come in handy.

@CanadianPerson0 

Apologize - yes I see you said April 7th which is already gone and passed. 

In this case, I would make use of the plan that just renewed if it's prepaid, since there'll be no refund for any unused credit remaining if you leave before the end of the cycle. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CanadianPerson0 : Postpaid is paying for the service up front like prepaid but then the next bill catches you up on what you consumed ergo...post. If you had to do a credit check and all then almost certainly also post-paid. But I'm not certain on that as this is the only Canadian prepaid service I've ever used.

@CanadianPerson0 

If your current provider is a postpaid plan, you will be only having to pay for service up to the date of Porting out.

If you are on a prepaid service, I'd recommend choosing the lowest price point for the renewal, if that option is available to you.

CanadianPerson0

Yeah... I guess I probably could've. Didn't think of that though so it's kind of too late unfortunately. 😕

CanadianPerson0

Are you currently on a postpaid service? If so then you should get pro-rated when you leave.

What does that mean?

Don't forget to use a referral code for here to get a $10 credit.

Yeah, I got a referral code from somebody that helped me out the other day.

@CanadianPerson0 

Couldn't you choose to renew with your current provider at the lowest available rate so you're not locked in at a higher price point?

That way when you port over to public mobile, you don't lose as much in unpaid use for the remaining term.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CanadianPerson0 : I guess you would lose out. Some people have several SIM's on hand for referrals so that you're at the ready for that instance. Other online places are Canadian Cell Supplies or Amazon but again you'd be waiting for delivery.

Are you currently on a postpaid service? If so then you should get pro-rated when you leave.

Don't forget to use a referral code for here to get a $10 credit.

CanadianPerson0

Yeah, reasonably close. Is the map that shows locations just busted? Because I saw 1 in Alberta and 28 in Ontario, which seems really low. Would I basically lose the $5 I spent though? Normally the SIMs are $10 and I got it 50%, but if I'm rebuying one immeditely I'd lose out, right? ;/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CanadianPerson0 : Do you have Walmart, London Drugs, Koodo, Wow Mobile, Superstore mobile kiosk and others in a reasonable distance from you?

CanadianPerson0

Oh, maybe I didn't explain properly. I'm not currently with PUBLIC Mobile. I ordered a SIM from the website so I could switch to them, but I was hoping it'd arrive before my current phone plan renews so I wouldn't be paying $45/month for a month I wouldn't be using.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CanadianPerson0 : You can let the term expire and it'll suspend if you don't pay. Then you have 90 days to restart it. Did you lose your phone/SIM? Why are you needing to get another SIM?

Edit: oh hold on...you haven't started here yet then right? Did I mis-interpret? - Edit: < done before the next post was posted 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.