cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rural Areas

Asher2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

This question is for people who live in Rural areas, I might go to some on vacation in summer if restrictions are lifted by then (here in Ontario)

How is your coverage out there?

There is less towers out there and if you are far from one that would obviously effect you. I’m near the GTA and there are many towers so I haven’t had many interruptions so far.

I’d probably expect that most of the time Calling and Texting would work fine. But even though cellular usage is already capped at 3mbps (on LTE network) is data slower at all there? 

Thank you to everyone who responds. 

5 REPLIES 5

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Asher2 wrote:

This question is for people who live in Rural areas, I might go to some on vacation in summer if restrictions are lifted by then (here in Ontario)

How is your coverage out there?

There is less towers out there and if you are far from one that would obviously effect you. I’m near the GTA and there are many towers so I haven’t had many interruptions so far.

I’d probably expect that most of the time Calling and Texting would work fine. But even though cellular usage is already capped at 3mbps (on LTE network) is data slower at all there? 

Thank you to everyone who responds. 

Check coverage maps and as noted for finding how close you are to a Bell or Telus tower. 

Ask friends or acquaintances in the area for the best answer. 

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Here's your coverage, @Asher2 

Spudster_0-1622379889231.png

barndoor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Cool map @softech 

@Asher2  ..I think you just have to go try .  A couple days ago  I happened to be in a car with someone with a Rogers phone  ... Long story short ...I lost service  ,they didn't  .  Could be the phone even I suppose .  To look at  softech's map , the Rogers user was further from a Rogers tower than I was from a Telus or Bell tower ... but the land was rolling  so could have been a factor maybe .   The calming factor was it was only a couple Km that I was out of service  so you just have to be prepared  for the odd interruption  when you're out in the boonies(we really weren't that far from Cambridge at the time ) . 😊

softech
Oracle
Oracle

you might want to look check the cell towers around the area, look for Bell and Telus towers

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

@Asher2 wrote:

I’d probably expect that most of the time Calling and Texting would work fine. But even though cellular usage is already capped at 3mbps (on LTE network) is data slower at all there? . 

As always, coverage is going to vary greatly by location. Generally, there will be coverage in populated areas. Howver, even where there is coverage, that can be affected by terrain, weather, network capaciy, and the material used in a structure that you might be in.  It also depends on what you mean by "rural".  In Northern Ontario, there's going to be little coverage, especially if there isn't an estabilshed town or city at that location.  If you mean populated areas in Southern Ontario, usually you're going to be fine. I would also expect there to be better coverage along major highways.   Data speeds will not be set any lower, but as always, the speeds can vary greatly based on network conditions. 

Need Help? Let's chat.