cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

Lise3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I live close to the USA border, and I often can't make a call or receive a call because I'm connecting to the USA tower. At these times, I also don't have internet.

39 REPLIES 39

@Lise3 

After selecting search for networks it took awhile but eventually the available networks comes up that you can then manually select and you should only connect to that network and your phone will not automatically scan to connect to the closest available network available to you. (In the US this would  be T-mobile or at&t who pm has roaming agrerments with for their add ons.)

Screenshot_20210607-164315~2.pngScreenshot_20210607-164358.png

Lise3

Ok, thanks...I'll do that. You've been very helpful (and patient).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lise3 : I may be wrong but I think the act of manually scanning for and selecting a provider bypasses the automatic. If you were to now touch Select automatically that then you would be going automatic. But I could be wrong. So don't anyway. Give it the next while to see if your phone wants to connect to a US tower.

Lise3

My Summer home is right on the border of New Brunswick and Maine. This is where I'm having a problem making and receiving calls

@Lise3 

You can ignore the “Welcome to the USA” text that tells you what calls, texts and data will cost you. You aren’t going to be charged, there isn’t a mechanism to charge you. It will either work or it wont work as part of your plan. If very close to the border I think it will work but maybe not. Roughly where is this happening?

AE_Collector

@Lise3 

I think you are perfect in terms of selecting the network manually

this is a demonstration:  (haha.. don't choose Vodafone)

Samsung Galaxy A5 - Select network | Vodafone Ireland  

Lise3

Yes, that is where I am

@Lise3 

Do you see something like this in your settings?

Screenshot_20210607-155436_Settings~2.jpgScreenshot_20210607-155354_Mobile networks~3.jpg

Lise3

But it isn't on Manual...it's still on automatic.  Fortunately it is on PM. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens next.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lise3 : We're asking about now. We understand the past experience. If it's on manual and set to here then it _shouldn't_ (famous last words) try to connect to anything else and therefor _shouldn't_ send those texts.

Lise3

Yes, it says Public Mobile 

@Lise3 wrote:

Unfortunately, it still connects to US towers. What Network Mode should I be in?

After you select Public Mobile from the list, what do you see on the very top of of your phone screen?  it will show you the name of the operator your phone is connecting.  

(ideally, you should be seeing Public Mobile)

Lise3

Yes, I get those texts, but it would cost me 10.00 for 10 days. I'm not even in the US.

Lise3

Unfortunately, it still connects to US towers. What Network Mode should I be in?

@Lise3 wrote:

When I press OK, it says Registered on Network 

that is good.. you should see Public Mobile on top of the phone... you phone is now just talking to PM and not the US

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lise3 : If you're not in automatic mode then it should stay connected to Public Mobile. When in automatic mode, it sees the US towers as stronger signals and they take over. But you should get texts welcoming you to the US when it does that.

@Lise3  after you Search Network, the page because  Select Manually I think.   When you click PM, it should hold on to the Public network.  

At least right after you clicked PM as your network, it should stop connecting to the US carrier....

Lise3

When I press OK, it says Registered on Network 

Lise3

Yes, Public Mobile is there...when I click on it, it becomes my Network Operator. But that's what it was before, and I was getting on US towers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lise3 : Mobile hotspot is an extra on top of mobile data. Don't worry about it for this purpose. Is there not anything to touch when it asks about disconnecting? Like an OK or Proceed or whatever. Might you need to scroll up or something? Because you're in the right place. You just need to let it proceed. Thus my while-on-mobile quick answer of let 'er rip.

@Lise3 wrote:

It's a Samsung Galaxy A5

I have the the first two on your list

What happen if you click Search Network, do you see Public Mobile? 

It might take long for it to return the list.  You might see other US operators, too

Lise3

Should mobile hotspot be on or off?

Lise3

It's a Samsung Galaxy A5

I have the the first two on your list

Lise3

Stop using current data service and search for other available networks 

What model of Samsung is yours?

in the Network operators, you don't have something similar to this? (make sure you are no in Airplane mode)

softech_0-1623102479989.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lise3 : What options do you have when it asks to stop using the connection?

Lise3

I'm still not able to switch from automatic to manual...can someone help me please?

Lise3

Let er RIP?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let 'er rip.

Lise3

When I click on automatic,  it says Disconnect network. Unable to search for networks while data service in use. Stop using current data service and search for other available networks?

Need Help? Let's chat.