cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming charges

tazb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
If I bring my PM device into USA, and forget to jump into airplane mode. Will I be charged roaming fees? Or is the device shut off from connecting to any local out of Canada towers?
11 REPLIES 11

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @tazb, yes PM operates only in Canada, with no roaming agreements.  Many of us (myself included) use Roam Mobility when travelling to the USA, but there are other options such as iRoam, or purchasing a pre-paid SIM card and plan from a US-based provider.  If you need to be able to receive calls on your own number while in the USA, you could use an app such as Fongo to pick up an additional local phone number, then forward your PM calls to your Fongo number *before* you leave Canada.  Fongo works over data, so as long as you have a data plan with a US based carrier or Roam Mobilitiy etc, you will get your calls forwarded to you over data.  Unfortuantely, I know of no way to forward texts, but if you use any data-based messaging apps instead of texting, the messages will of course reach you.  For outbound calls, if you want them to show on call display with your usual phone number instead of your temporary American number, pick up Google Hangouts Dialer app, go into the settings, and confirm your phone number (it sends you a code over SMS).  After that, you can enable the option to send your own phone number on Hangouts calls.  Then, you can call anyone through the Hangouts Dialer (again, over data), and it will look like you are calling from your PM phone number.

Hopefully this helps?  It's not as convenient as a Roam Like Home type arrangement, but with the savings you are getting most of the year while at home in Canada, it's probably worth the small hassle.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

JMCD
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It's definitely the case in europe whereever I've travelled. I'm fairly certain it's a standard thing world wide.

geogolem

i dont know about the U.S. but it seems you can dial 911 even without a SIM card in your phone in Canada.

usually my phone says emergency only.. even when I have no SIM card. so I am guessing that might be the case in the US too. not sure if it works even in Canada. never tried. it.. im going to google about it now. will post back what I find.

EDIT: .. ya so the phone will always have emergency services. even if you have no plan. and pay for no service. You just need a phone with battery supply .. and then it will latch onto whatever tower it can if you try to make an emergency call.

https://www.quora.com/If-a-cell-phone-doesn-t-have-a-SIM-card-how-can-it-make-emergency-calls

this appears to be true for both U.S. and Canada.. but may not be the case in other countries.

ellenyw
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I agree that it should be an option in case of emergency, just to have the security of knowing that it is possible. Can you dial 911 when not in plan limits?

If they did it that way, PPL would of course know how much that they're spending more accurately than the Ol Taxi meter style Postpaid, which is more of a neanderthal, just watch demolition man. The future is all about new and improved. Postpaid belongs in Bedrock.

Prepaid is like Butter, on Lobster, and it tastes so good, that's why Prepaid should be permitted to take the Postpaid's place at the side of the consumer

geogolem

I agree - the option would be extremely convenient. Right now you can do it, but you have to buy a separate SIM card from another provider and get a different phone number.

Hoping PM re-energizes Roaming, Just as an Add-On.

So, example, Let's say if you need 2500 Mins, 2500 Txts and a gig or 2 of Data, Pay SEPARATE fee for this, example $50, and it functions like normal, when consumed stops functioning altogether, like how Add-On Data would be when Data plan is exhausted, or more like a Car, gas tank full, when empty Car can't move w/o fuel

@tazb wrote:
So in other words the phone is completely shut off from any phone use (voice/data)?

Yes, its like how you get disconnected when you go out of wifi range. With PM, you don't pay a penny extra after pre-paid amount. 

saukalra
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes, that is correct, the phone is shut off from voice/text/data use in USA.

tazb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
So in other words the phone is completely shut off from any phone use (voice/data)?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

No roaming with PM so no charges. 

Need Help? Let's chat.