cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Charges in the US

Sledhead
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I've read some posts regarding US roaming charges, but I just need to do a sanity check so please forgive my question if it's already been answered. I have the $40, 75GB 5G phone/data plan.  I crossed over into the US today, and was greeted with a message from PM regarding signing up for roaming. I've read some posts and apparently I can ignore this, but I just want to confirm since I don't want any unexpected charges. I ported my previous Telus number to PM. I will be in the US for about four months.  I did have to turn on roaming once I crossed the border. It's the only way my data would work. My phone connected to T-Mobile, which I understand one of PM's American partners. Please confirm that I can ignore the roaming message from PM. 

3 REPLIES 3

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Sledhead 

If you are not on the Canada/USA plan or if you are on the Canada plan and didn't purchase any US Roaming plan...you won't be charged and you won't have any service in the US.

Remember, if you put a pause on AutoPay/Subscribe. There is a maximum of 90 days. Any longer, your account will be closed, SIM will stop working and your number will be lost and returned to the carrier you got the number from.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Sledhead 

Just as a follow-up...you will never get an unexpected bill for anything from Public Mobile. PM is a pre-paid service, meaning you pay up front. If you haven't pre-paid for something, it just won't work...and if by some fluke it does work, you still won't get a bill later on. Most of my existence is in a wifi area, so I just leave data turned on at all times.

@Sledhead wrote:

I've ead some posts regarding US roaming charges, but I just need to do a sanity check so please forgive my question if it's already been answered. I have the $40, 75GB 5G phone/data plan.  I crossed over into the US today, and was greeted with a message from PM regarding signing up for roaming. I've read some posts and apparently I can ignore this, but I just want to confirm since I don't want any unexpected charges. I ported my previous Telus number to PM. I will be in the US for about four months.  I did have to turn on roaming once I crossed the border. It's the only way my data would work. My phone connected to T-Mobile, which I understand one of PM's American partners. Please confirm that I can ignore the roaming message from PM. 

The text message gets sent to all Public Mobile customers as soon as a US network has been connected to. Please ignore the text message.

Need Help? Let's chat.