cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retail Voucher Purchases Points Eligibility

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

I normally pay with the usual credit-card autopay, but got to thinking about getting the most out of using payment vouchers. Maybe buying vouchers through local retailers would have some small additional value if they are eligible for various retailers points programs?

Can anyone confirm if voucher payments are eligible for rewards/points at various retailers, such as these?

• IGA – Airmiles ($20 = 1 reward mile)
  • Loblaws/NoFrills/SuperStore/Shoppers – PC Optimum
  • London Drugs – LDExtras
  • Petro Canada – Petro-Points
  • Rexall – Airmiles (althoughthey are leaving Airmiles soon)
  • Shell – Airmiles
  • Sobeys – Airmiles
  • Stapes – Airmiles
15 REPLIES 15

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I loved using those gift cards for gas and our families PM bills. I haven't seen 10% off or more in a long time. 

@will13am  I clued in on the possible tax savings by purchasing vouchers in alberta and/or credit card payments processed with an alberta phone number from a post by @CalgaryBen during the Shell/MC rebate debacle. In this day and age where your area code makes little difference im surprised more people just dont select an alberta phone numbers if they are not porting in their own number. 7%-10% savings per month is significant.

Very occasionally SDM will offer a $25 SDM bonus gift card on the purchase of a $300 cdn tire gift card which can be used to purchase pm vouchers but no cdn tire money is given on the vouchers.

But if you have someone who can purchase a voucher at London drugs in alberta using the LDX  program (like an employee) and give you the voucher pin # and you're from an hst province your potential savings are 12.5% on a $50 account + a credit cards rebate percentage of up to 4%.

@darlicious wrote:

@Nezgar  The best way to earn extra by purchasing vouchers hands down is London drugs LD extras program. This one of the only rewards programs that allows you to earn on the purchase of vouchers. [snip]

Thanks @darlicious, I like your answer so much I'll mark it as the solution! My wife had signed up for LDExtras but we never really thought much of it, as LD is at opposite ends of town for us, but I'm totally going to make a point to use the LDExtras when we are in the area going forward!

Still curious to know if any other retailers actually give points for vouchers, ie Shoppers Drug Mart / PC Optimum. I might just buy a $10 voucher just to find out, unless someone here already knows.

@popping wrote:

IIRC, Rexall started selling Canadian Tire GC at 20% off, then 10%.  Then, Safeway and Shoppers Drug Mart are selling CT GC at discount too.  Nowadays, the best you can do is 8% in points/miles.

If you have family or friends living in AB, ask them to buy the voucher for you to save 7 to 10% provincial sale tax 

You can avoid the sales taxes entirely if you know someone who can show native status to a PM vendor on native (reservation) land.

Many credit cards also award points/airmiles on every purchase.

@Nezgar  PC optimum definetly does not the only exception might be the mobile shop with a special offer and a pc MasterCard. They do give pc optimum points on pm SIM cards.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Nezgar wrote:

I normally pay with the usual credit-card autopay, but got to thinking about getting the most out of using payment vouchers. Maybe buying vouchers through local retailers would have some small additional value if they are eligible for various retailers points programs?

While this is quite after-the-fact, another option worth considering, for some people, is KOHO prepaid Visa.  You can get at least 2.5% cash back when this card is registered for auto-pay on PM.  Not quite the same as leveraging retail merchant rewards, but cash back does have the advantage of being applicable regardless of amount (e.g. no need to spend in ~$20 increments for Air Miles), and provides the reward without having to leave your home!

I probably wouldn't advise running out and signing up for this card just to get the PM cash back, since it's 0.5% cash back with most other merchants.  But, for frugal consumers, this might have a place in your wallet.  There are ways to get more than just the 2.5% cashback (referrals, payroll deposit to this account, etc.), all of which are beyond my personal experience.

It beats many of the cashback or other rewards on credit cards out there, including some of the "Platinum" or "World Elite" class credit cards on the market.  I used to use an AmEx Simply Cash for PM (1.25% cash back), then switched to a Rogers WE MC (for 1.75% cash back), and will now use KOHO Visa (for at least 2.5% cash back).

Need Help? Let's chat.