cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remnant of temporary number after porting in

DadKingJr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just migrated 2 phones from Koodo to PM.  Both phones (Android) failed during SIM card activation.  I was able to complete the activation and porting in of the first phone with the help of a Customer Service agent after creating a support ticket.

The second phone failed to transfer in exactly the same way, so I created another ticket.  The issue dragged on over night and I discovered that the first agent assigned a temporary number to this second SIM card saying I should activate this second phone first snd then they could help port the number afterwards.

Eventually a different agent helped to get the second number ported over, and all looked fine. A short time later, people started noticing and asking who was texting them because they did not recognize the number.  The number showing up was still the temporary number assigned during the initial activation.

I searched through settings on the phone and found at least two settings showing the temporary number (one under properties of the Messages app and the other under my Google account as a verification number).  I deleted both entries, restarted the phone several times and even removed the SIM card between successive restarts but the temporary number still appears when I text people.

Any suggestions?  Fixes?  

10 REPLIES 10

DadKingJr

That wasn't my experience.  I just had to pick up an second PM SIM card.  It's a real inconvenience.  I wish the PM team could sort out this problem.  

If the automatic transfer/porting in process had worked in the first place, this problem of a persistent temporary number would not occur.  In fact, rather than jumping to assign a temporary number in order to active the PM SIM card, PM client support should just reset the transfer procedure without a temporary number.  That:s what they did for me on my phone, and it worked very well with a temporary number.  In the case of my wife's phone where they insisted on using a temporary number first, then a second PM SIM card was the inly way to fix this phantom temporary number.

DadKingJr

Hello Macrobob,

Yes, we did resolve the issue   it required picking up another SIM card, then changing it for the one that that has the temporary number linked to it.  That's an easy operation you can do yourself using the app.

I would then request a credit from PM for the cost of the card because there is obviously a glitch at their end that this keeps happening or they can't seem to clear the temporary number once your previous number gets sorted.  Good luck. 🤞 

Sounds like their port was not successful. Are they still showing as active on the old provider? You need to check.  That would mean they are paying 2 separate phone companies. 

Marcobob
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Did you find an answer for this problem? I have a family member with the same issue. Phone calls go through on old ported number but texts are going through the temporary number. 

DadKingJr

Thank you, putting that suspect SIM in another phone proved that the problem is with the card and not my phone as I eas being told.

DadKingJr

Thank you hTideGnow,

That clearly confirmed that the temporary number is still tied to the PM SIM card and nothing to do with the phone.

Just to be certain, I put my SIM card into the phone that was having the problem, snd as you'd expect, it behaved exactly as my phone.

I'll have to get back to the Customer Service agent to tell them the temporary number is still tied to that SIM card.  

Thank goodness because the last suggestion I got from them advised that I should do a factory reset of the phone.  Mot only would this have been a huge inconvenience, it would also not have solved the problem.

hi @DadKingJr 

try to put the sim card of that problematic line onto another phone and test

DadKingJr

The Koodo accounts were both monthly plans.  Calls coming in were directed to the original ported-in number, just as calls from the phone use the original number that was ported in from Koodo.

If I call the temporary number that still shows up as the source of SMS messages, a recorded message reports that the number is not in service.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

If the number was ported correctly,  still you need to go back to cs agent to change the temp number back to original as it looks like it's not complete by them.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@DadKingJr 

the second number needs a temp number, because it was ported from Koodo prepaid, was that prepaid?

and can you confirm if that second line really receiving inbound calls (with the correct number you want to port in)??

Need Help? Let's chat.