cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registering SIM card

fmp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When I try to register my SIM card that came with the recertified phone I just bought.  I keep getting getting "please enter a valid SIM number" and cannot go any further.  

14 REPLIES 14

@fmp   this is interesting, where you got the first sim card from?

fmp

It turns out that SIM number was already activated by someone else.  I purchased a new Public Mobile SIM from Amazon.  Arrived next day and worked like it was supposed to.  Now trying to recover the cost of the new card and compensation for the hassle the first SIM card caused.

Thanks to all for your help!!

Does the sim packaging say Public Mobile on it? Does the number on the actual gold part (reverse) match the number on the packaging? Are there 19 digits total? You're entering the last 9 digits (5 then 4)?

@fmp   tell us how it turns out, hope they can make it work on this sim card.  If not, push them to reimburse the cost and you buy a new sim card in person, it is quicker that way

fmp

Yes I have entered it correctly many times with the same results.  I have created a ticket and am waiting for a response.  Thanks for all your help in this matter.  Much appreciated.

@fmp wrote:

Should I just ignore and continue to enter the rest of the information it is asking for?

@fmp   You cannot ignore that, it is a critical step

Confirm if you entered it correctly, 19 digits  (but the first 10 already pre-populated)

If it really has trouble with it, open a ticket with PM support and ask them to confirm if the sim card is new and never been activated.  If not, I suggest you to ask them to reimburse you the cost of the sim card rather than wait for them to re-send you a new one.  SIM delivery from PM could take as long as 3 weeks.  Ask them to reimburse you the cost and you buy a new PM sim card in person from a local Telus/Koodo store to save time

fmp

I do go to activation but it will not accept the SIM card number as valid.  Thus I cannot go any further in the activation.

fmp

Sounds great but the Activation will not accept the SIM that came with the phone I bought from Public Mobile.  It turns red and says "enter a valid SIM number".  Should I just ignore and continue to enter the rest of the information it is asking for?

@fmp   

if you are new customer to PM, then please go to Activation portal here and activate a new account:

https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

You can request porting your number from Freedom during activation

You will request to Transfer your exiting number instead of picking a new number.  Please provide your current phone number and the account number of the old provider as the porting info.

Once activation completed , still have the old provider sim card in your phone.  Your old provider will send you a SMS and ask your permission for the porting.  You need to reply YES within 90 mins for the porting to complete

Once replied yes, you can put your PM sim card in a phone and wait for incoming calls to come.  Reboot your phone ever 30 mins and test incoming call from another line.  If incoming call reaches your PM sim card, then the Porting is completed

fmp

I guess I was not very clear in my first post.  I am a new customer that purchased a recertified phone that came with a new SIM card.  I am moving to Public from Freedom mobile.  That is if and when this SIM card is able to get registered.

geogolem
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The OP is a new customer that purchased a "Cerfified Pre-Owned Phone" from Public Mobile. The phone comes with a new SIM card in the package. 

When the OP tried to activate the SIM card, the Public Mobile website shows "Please enter a valid SIM". They are certain the SIM number they are entering is correct. 

We are relatively familiar with Public Mobile activations (many family members have been with PM for years) and we have never had a problem like this before. We are hoping that OP will be able to find some solution or at least be redirected to someone who can help make the SIM work, or potentially send a new SIM.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@fmp   you bought a new CPO phone? DO NOT use that sim cards it comes with you.  It's a new sim card for you to keep

In your case, remove the current sim card from your old phone, then put it int he new phone, BINGO!!  it should now works

Your current sim card might be bigger than the slot on the new phone, no worry, PM sim card should be 3-in-1 like this:

SIM_Tricut2.png

They have pre-cut "frames" around, remove the "frames" around it to make it smaller to fit

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@fmp  No need , just take sim  card out of old phone and put in your new phone and reboot the device 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@fmp , do you have an existing account with Public Mobile?  If you do, all you need to do is insert the active SIM card associated with the account in the new phone.  If you are trying to set up a new account, use the activate link to activate a new account.  I suggest using incognito mode if performing a new account activation.  

Need Help? Let's chat.